Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving with our dog

Moving with our dog

Old Mar 17th 2019, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with our dog

Thank you for the replies!

Hmm.... Hubby has a 2h commute each way now so we would really like to cut down on that if possible. We are budgeting for 2 cars anyway, the idea being him driving to the train station to commute (he will be working right by Grand Central as well) and me still being able to get around too. Hubby has one colleague in Ridgefield and one in Norwalk who were both singing praises over their home towns but I guess we'll just have to see what feels right when we're on our reccie, taking all the input we get here into consideration along the way. I guess it also depends on what properties are available at the time we are looking as I understand the rental market moves rather quickly over there.... And which landlords allow dogs, of course
Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You should look at the timetables for the Metro-North Railroad — the New Haven and the Harlem lines, to see which towns lie within a suitable commuting range. The New Haven line serves the places you have mentioned in CT (though actually when I lived in Ridgefield I would drive half an hour to Katonah and take the Harlem line to Grand Central). The Harlem line goes through Westchester County, New York, which has many nice towns with good school districts that might make a better option for your OH with a shorter commute.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 2:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Thank you for your response debdes! So you didn't need to get a health certificate or anything? From what I read that's what we *should* need along with the rabies shot. She has a passport but it's Latvian cause ethics where she's originally from but im hoping so long as all her shots are up to date that won't be an issue So did you need to call the airline and add the dog to your booking? Sounds ideal the way you did it and it's what we were hoping to be able to do - just drop her off with our luggage and then pick her up at our destination...
If you plan on exercising your dog anywhere other than the local "city park" invest in a blaze orange vest for him (her?). While the precaution may be unnecessary, it may also help prevent a catastrophe.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 18th 2019 at 2:58 am.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

As others have suggested, the airline might have additional requirements, so it's a good idea to check with them also. That being said, we travel by car from Canada to the US fairly regularly and our dog comes with us. The only requirement for him to cross into the US (and back into Canada) is a vaccination report from our vet showing that he has had his rabies shot more than 30 days and less than a year before he crosses the border.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You should look at the timetables for the Metro-North Railroad — the New Haven and the Harlem lines, to see which towns lie within a suitable commuting range. The New Haven line serves the places you have mentioned in CT (though actually when I lived in Ridgefield I would drive half an hour to Katonah and take the Harlem line to Grand Central). The Harlem line goes through Westchester County, New York, which has many nice towns with good school districts that might make a better option for your OH with a shorter commute.
I mentioned the possibility of living in NYS as opposed to CT to hubby but he reckons the taxes there are that much higher that it wouldn't be worth it?! But we will speak to our realtor (a colleague's wife) and see where we are at. NYS seems to have some beautiful countryside as well, but I feel like we've set our hearts on CT (well, him more so than me as I've never even been there yet lol!)

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you plan on exercising your dog anywhere other than the local "city park" invest in a blaze orange vest for him (her?). While the precaution may be unnecessary, it may also help prevent a catastrophe.
Haha, thanks for the advice but there is absolutely no way I could ever even let my dog off her lead (very selective hearing, and by that I mean NONE ) so I'm guessing it might not be as pressing as she'll always be under our "control"...?

Originally Posted by discoviking
As others have suggested, the airline might have additional requirements, so it's a good idea to check with them also. That being said, we travel by car from Canada to the US fairly regularly and our dog comes with us. The only requirement for him to cross into the US (and back into Canada) is a vaccination report from our vet showing that he has had his rabies shot more than 30 days and less than a year before he crosses the border.
Ah, that is good to hear but I shall definitely call the airline once we know which one we will be flying with. It'll most likely be American Airlines but we will have to see nearer the time. Hopefully we won't need too much more, seeing as most of the comments on here make it seem quite straight forward
Old Mar 18th 2019, 8:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Haha, thanks for the advice but there is absolutely no way I could ever even let my dog off her lead (very selective hearing, and by that I mean NONE ...) so I'm guessing it might not be as pressing as she'll always be under our "control"...? ....
You should be OK then. .... Unless you plan to go walking in the woods, in which case you should also get a blaze orange vest and ball cap for yourself.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

nhorton5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I highly recommend you check out PetAirUK. They flew my two cats out to Tampa and were just amazing. They will be able to let you know everything your dog will need to fly and can arrange them to be on the same flight as you. They really were worth every penny and the crates they built for my cats have been kept for emergency evacuations
Old Mar 19th 2019, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

We moved with our dog back to the US last summer with Delta, who took great care of him. A little tip for the crate, print out your flight itinerary and the dog's name, along with a contact number both in the UK and the US, to make it easier for the handlers. When checking him in, we provided Delta with his health certificate, rabies vaccination record, and a letter from our vet to say he was in good health to handle the flight. When you board the flight, you can ask one of the cabin crew to confirm that your dog is on board too, and to remind the captain of that!

Upon arrival in the US, customs just wanted the health certificate and it was very quick and hassle free. We were able to keep the food we brought in with us, but I've heard from others they make you discard any dog food.

Worth mentioning we moved from Japan not UK, and were on orders, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Just wanted to share our experience.

Good luck!
Old Mar 20th 2019, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You should be OK then. .... Unless you plan to go walking in the woods, in which case you should also get a blaze orange vest and ball cap for yourself.
Hoping to walk in some woods, yes (depending on where we end up I suppose but I'd like to) so I'll definitely keep that in mind

Originally Posted by nhorton5
I highly recommend you check out PetAirUK. They flew my two cats out to Tampa and were just amazing. They will be able to let you know everything your dog will need to fly and can arrange them to be on the same flight as you. They really were worth every penny and the crates they built for my cats have been kept for emergency evacuations
Ok, yeah, I've heard of them! Didn't realise I needed to contact them separately - I thought that was all done through the airline Oh dear.... lol! I shall look into this, thank you!

Originally Posted by scottyvisa
We moved with our dog back to the US last summer with Delta, who took great care of him. A little tip for the crate, print out your flight itinerary and the dog's name, along with a contact number both in the UK and the US, to make it easier for the handlers. When checking him in, we provided Delta with his health certificate, rabies vaccination record, and a letter from our vet to say he was in good health to handle the flight. When you board the flight, you can ask one of the cabin crew to confirm that your dog is on board too, and to remind the captain of that!

Upon arrival in the US, customs just wanted the health certificate and it was very quick and hassle free. We were able to keep the food we brought in with us, but I've heard from others they make you discard any dog food.

Worth mentioning we moved from Japan not UK, and were on orders, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Just wanted to share our experience.

Good luck!
Also great advice, thank you for sharing your experience
Old Mar 20th 2019, 4:55 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, great! Thanks for the advice and I'm glad your dogs are ok! What kind are they, if you don't mind me asking? We have a dachshund (or shall I say Wiener dog )

We are looking at places like Ridgefield (I quite like the idea of being a bit further inland as we're right on the south coast here in the UK and I miss being near the woods....! Plus I'm sooo tired of it always being windy ) We are also considering the route along Stamford, Norwalk, perhaps Weston or Easton. Hubby will be working right in NYC so wer're trying to stay within a comfortably commutable range for him. Good schools are important too as we have 2 kids as well..... I have never actually been to CT so I have no idea what to expect lol! Can't wait for our reccie but it's obviously starting to get a bit stressful here already trying to find out everything we need to know and getting our ducks in a row.....

Mind if I'm a bit nosey? Where are you in CT? And how do you like it? Anything you wish you'd known before moving out there?
You don’t have to be inland for woods, a-lot of dog owners in our town go places like this:
https://www.fairfieldct.org/lakemohegan

And after October / March they also take dogs to the beach:
https://www.fairfieldct.org/content/2765/2783/3418.aspx

If you are renting you won’t pay property tax directly, but it will factor in to your rent, in Fairfield (Town, it's the same name as the county) the rental properties are mostly closer to the train stations or Universities. A lot of other areas with better schools are mainly owner occupied. Although some rentals do pop up in those areas, often when someone has failed to sell a property. As an aside while some real estate agents cover multiple towns I have not met any that are registered in NY and CT, I guess they could exsist closer to the state line, so you may need multiple if you are looking in a wider area.

Last edited by tht; Mar 20th 2019 at 5:04 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 7:10 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

For Schools use somthing like this as a starting point:
https://www.greatschools.org/search/...arter&state=CT

But make sure you go to the town website and check the address of any rental again their list, because the maps are not always accurate and even some streets may have 1 side go to 1 school and the other to a different one.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 9:59 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

As we always tell people who want to bring over their televisions/cars etc; it's easier and cheaper to just sell it and get a new one here.
A lot less hassle all round. Probably easier on dog. Plus you can typically get a better model for what you pay in the UK.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 10:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
As we always tell people who want to bring over their televisions/cars etc; it's easier and cheaper to just sell it and get a new one here.
A lot less hassle all round. Probably easier on dog. Plus you can typically get a better model for what you pay in the UK.
I’d like to think folks are more attached to their dogs than their TVs!
Old Mar 21st 2019, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht

You don’t have to be inland for woods, a-lot of dog owners in our town go places like this:
https://www.fairfieldct.org/lakemohegan

And after October / March they also take dogs to the beach:
https://www.fairfieldct.org/content/2765/2783/3418.aspx

If you are renting you won’t pay property tax directly, but it will factor in to your rent, in Fairfield (Town, it's the same name as the county) the rental properties are mostly closer to the train stations or Universities. A lot of other areas with better schools are mainly owner occupied. Although some rentals do pop up in those areas, often when someone has failed to sell a property. As an aside while some real estate agents cover multiple towns I have not met any that are registered in NY and CT, I guess they could exsist closer to the state line, so you may need multiple if you are looking in a wider area.
Originally Posted by tht
For Schools use somthing like this as a starting point:
https://www.greatschools.org/search/...arter&state=CT

But make sure you go to the town website and check the address of any rental again their list, because the maps are not always accurate and even some streets may have 1 side go to 1 school and the other to a different one.
I did like the look of Fairfield as well (from what I can see on the internet lol) but hubby reckons it's a bit far out for his commute?! We are currently looking at sites like realtor.com or Zillow and checking their school ratings but we keep being told that the school ratings really only become relevant from high school so we shouldn't worry too much about it yet.... We do have quite a long wish list for the property (purely because we LOVE our house here in the UK so it'll have big shoes to fill lol) but we realise some compromise might be necessary as it'll depend purely on what properties are out there when we come to seriously look for a home....
Old Mar 21st 2019, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

I’d like to think folks are more attached to their dogs than their TVs!
I was thinking the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.