British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Orlando FL Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-orlando-fl-help-870546/)

pen1 Jan 18th 2016 9:42 pm

Re: Moving to Orlando FL Help!

My enquiries were just like this .... we didn't have to live in a particular area for our jobs..... I didn't care to explain why then and I don't now but I chose Florida because I had spent a year here over 30 years ago and still knew people. So ..... I asked questions like where, what, how, why in the early days..... I encountered negativity here because I probably sounded like a wannabe pool cleaner too. Luckily my friends here were far more supportive and my realtor showed me 'wildcard' areas to live and slowly in the months before we moved we built up an idea of what was safe what was residential (as opposed to vacation zoned) and all that stuff those of us that live here now know. But remember when you didn't know how it all worked .....

Pulaski Jan 18th 2016 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by pen1 (Post 11841519)
But that is none of our business and we shouldn't not give them advice based on that . Supposing they just want B visas to spend six months here, supposing they are going to get married if they need to for visa purposes. Are you saying no advice if you don't appear to qualify ..... Its that exclusive club mentality again

I wouldn't waste much time on someone who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a visa. If you want to waste your time typing out advice to every dreamer that stumbles across the web sites that you frequent, then "have at it", I am not going to complain, but I have no interest in fanning the flames of enthusiasm for those who at the end of the day won't, for one of several reasons, get a visa.

In many cases those that do get a visa end up going home after their E-2 failed, or Florida failed to to live up to expecations, and the experience they gain is often at the price of their E-2 investment being wiped out. IMO it is only fair that these pitfalls are brought to people's attention.

Pulaski Jan 18th 2016 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by pen1 (Post 11841530)
My enquiries were just like this .... we didn't have to live in a particular area for our jobs..... I didn't care to explain why then and I don't now but I chose Florida because I had spent a year here over 30 years ago and still knew people. So ..... I asked questions like where, what, how, why in the early days..... I encountered negativity here because I probably sounded like a wannabe pool cleaner too. Luckily my friends here were far more supportive and my realtor showed me 'wildcard' areas to live and slowly in the months before we moved we built up an idea of what was safe what was residential (as opposed to vacation zoned) and all that stuff those of us that live here now know. But remember when you didn't know how it all worked .....

What? Huh? :confused: Is what you're smoking legal in Florida? :unsure:

pen1 Jan 18th 2016 9:49 pm

Well my experiences have been far nicer than those you describe. How rude of you to assume I am high ....or that the poster is a time waster. I have too much time on my hands today and this is amusing me , what's your excuse for commenting on a 'time waster' thread then ?

BEVS Jan 18th 2016 10:19 pm

To my certain knowledge, having read through from the opening post to the last one above, no-one has called the OP a time waster. Neither has anyone attempted to invade someones privacy by asking for personal details.

All I can see is folk initially enquiring of the OP about visa eligibility for both himself and partner. The reason folk ask this is to be practical & helpful. They can then style their responses to suit . We see this all across BE & the BE community is not at all unusual in enquiring or guiding on visa eligibility in this way. In every similar forum I know the community members do the exact same thing & it is surprising how many people do set their sights on a country without even considering whether or not they can actually live there.

As one can see from the opening post through to #post10 , the OP was able to offer clarity . He was not offended by being asked about the visa status so I see no reason for anyone else to be upset by this either.

BE Site Rule 9 explains the snips and tucks Pen1.

Back to the OP then please.

scrubbedexpat097 Jan 20th 2016 1:53 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11841516)
At least you knew of the visa categories. There are a great many who don't and seem to think being British (usually with a connected platitude like 'honest, hard working, etc') is the only requirement to be able to up sticks and arrive at the US to start anew.

But it's true, everyone knows that's how it works. I mean look what happens if you leave Walford and decide to go and live in the US like 'chelle did, you don't need no "Visa", you just leave in a black cab with the doof doof music playing...

SultanOfSwing Jan 20th 2016 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 11842699)
But it's true, everyone knows that's how it works. I mean look what happens if you leave Walford and decide to go and live in the US like 'chelle did, you don't need no "Visa", you just leave in a black cab with the doof doof music playing...

:lol:

Art* imitates life.

* reeeeeeeeeally stretching the definition of art here, of course.

megalaser Mar 19th 2016 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by pen1 (Post 11841481)
You want to avoid Davenport and Kissimmee as they are mainly vacation villas, so transient neighbors lack of schools etc etc. Also avoid known ghetto areas like Pine Hills. Plenty of rentals and sales in residential areas like Windermere and Winter Garden

Correct, Winter Garden much much nicer but not easy to find the right rental. If they are working in Haines City though this would be a long drive. I don't think most people realize how difficult the Visa part is, it can take a very long time and a lot of work and you can't do anything without it.