British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Orlando FL Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-orlando-fl-help-870546/)

Awesome Welles Jan 13th 2016 1:41 pm

Re: Moving to Orlando FL Help!

I'm getting a whiff of bullshit. There is zero industry in Haines City apart from orange picking and Heart of Florida hospital.

Early 30's MBA, who can't string a sentence together and relies on this website to figure out local cost of living for a professional intra-company transfer.

I'd have thought the kids had gone back to school by now......

SultanOfSwing Jan 13th 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by R1chn (Post 11835850)
The visa wont be an issue we dont think.

You're going to need a bit more of a degree of certainty than that. You say you are moving for work, so your employer should have set up a visa for you, most likely one of the L visas. Or are you investing on an E visa?

If you don't think it will be an issue, as opposed to knowing it won't be, then I'd say there's an above average chance there will be an issue.

Bob Jan 13th 2016 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by R1chn (Post 11835459)
Hi

Thanks for your help. To clarify im not asking for advice regarding eligability to work - although the abive advice has been great and very helpful - Im hoping to get some guideance on the best area to live and what our monthly bills are likely to be.

Thanks again.

Ric

It's useful to know because if one is looking for work, location might be different if one is going to be stuck at home with sod all to do and it also affects what kind of budget you'll have.

dj6372 Jan 13th 2016 4:02 pm

We are asking for more details so we can help you

Let me give you a little example

I live in Marina Del Rey my rent for a 1 bed apartment is $2500

If I moved 20 miles inland, I can rent a 3 bed condo for the same price.

If you want assistance we need info then we can tailor our experience to your needs

We are a needy but ultimately very helpful bunch

Pulaski Jan 13th 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 11836246)
......We are a needy but ultimately very helpful bunch

And as Ian likes to say, "we are not mind readers". :rolleyes:

SanDiegogirl Jan 13th 2016 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 11836112)
I'm getting a whiff of bullshit. There is zero industry in Haines City apart from orange picking and Heart of Florida hospital.

Early 30's MBA, who can't string a sentence together and relies on this website to figure out local cost of living for a professional intra-company transfer.

I'd have thought the kids had gone back to school by now......

Agree .....

dj6372 Jan 13th 2016 4:41 pm

Are we sliding towards Room 101

AKA

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...ate-us-807241/

R1chn Jan 13th 2016 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11835855)
I am intrigued about this scenario. From where I sit , Haines city is in the back of beyond, in the middle of nowhere. Now they are hiring international hotshots with unspecified visa eligibility.

Ok im clearly not going to get an answer to my questions. I shall find out elsewhere.

Thanks all.

SultanOfSwing Jan 13th 2016 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by R1chn (Post 11836480)
Ok im clearly not going to get an answer to my questions. I shall find out elsewhere.

Thanks all.

Yes you will, if you only answer the one question we have. We only want to know what visa category you will be using. Then we can guide you with respect to your wife working, and any other questions you might have.

Without a visa secured, it's irrelevant asking about where to live because you won't be able to live here at all.

Pulaski Jan 13th 2016 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by R1chn (Post 11836480)

Thanks all.

We are a community, and a friendly bunch, but you wouldn't march into a pub or restaurant and demand to know where the best parts of town are, and we don't much appreciate people who treat us that way either, especially as we are unpaid volunteers who are willing to share experience and information. Which is why we like to know just enough to help direct you.

If your "partner" won't be working you will likely need to be in/near businesses and facilities to enable her to amuse herself and socialize. If you're both working then somewhere convenient to your places of work would be better suited to your needs. ..... At the moment we know very little about you and we aren't going to waste our time if you can't give us just a little more info about yourselves.

R1chn Jan 13th 2016 8:18 pm

-Why would anyone make this up?! What a waste of time that would be!
-This is of course not my only source of information as to the best area to live!
- There is no need for abuse 'cant string a sentance together'
- I do not yet know what visa it will be. The process begins in february - point taken that until you have a visa you cannot plan to move.
- it will be around September when we move - assuming there visa is ok as expected
- if you believe it's false dont follow or comment
- happy to share the story of why a haines city base another time
- thank you for those that have been helpful. I have actually been suprised how much response there has been and the willingness of people to understand.

All the best - To confirm - i understand the points made re the visa however i am absolutley not a liar.

R1chn Jan 13th 2016 8:21 pm

Thanks Pulaski. She will need a safe environment so are looking at celebration as possibly being that place, albeit more expensive than places such as davenport and kissimmee

Pulaski Jan 13th 2016 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by R1chn (Post 11836514)
-Why would anyone make this up?! What a waste of time that would be! .....

People do, they're called "trolls".

Some of the warning flags are:
  • Lack of details
  • Poor syntax/grammar
  • Post once/ few times then disappear
  • Ask about popular destinations, such as NYC, "California" (all of it? :confused:), .... or Orlando.
Among other things, none are conclusive, but they are clues.

R1chn Jan 13th 2016 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11836520)
People do, they're called "trolls".

Im certainly not, but I appreciate the feedback. I'll revisit this forum when we are further down the process.

SultanOfSwing Jan 13th 2016 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by R1chn (Post 11836514)
- I do not yet know what visa it will be. The process begins in february - point taken that until you have a visa you cannot plan to move.

Is this via your employer? They should be able to tell you which one they are pursuing if it is.