Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Orlando FL Help!

Moving to Orlando FL Help!

Old Jan 13th 2016, 10:44 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orlando FL Help!

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I'm getting a whiff of bullshit. There is zero industry in Haines City apart from orange picking and Heart of Florida hospital.

Early 30's MBA, who can't string a sentence together and relies on this website to figure out local cost of living for a professional intra-company transfer.

I'd have thought the kids had gone back to school by now......
Agreed on all fronts.

Also, after having come here for years I completely get where the members of this forum are coming from when they require anyone asking these questions to define the exact visa they posses before beginning discussions around living in the US. I also agree that Orlando is the obvious choice for people with pointless questions. Given these good reasons for wanting the visa question cleared up, I have no idea why the OP is being so cagey. It's a straightforward question.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Just an observation. If the company is big in Europe and Big in the UK then it is likely to have significant facilities to help you relocate. Mine did. If it doesn't offer relocation support it is not big and your first hurdle is doing a lot of this for yourself.
If doing it for yourself get professional help.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R1chn
- I do not yet know what visa it will be. The process begins in february
If the process is beginning in February, I assume it's an L-1 visa (because an H-1B visa process wouldn't begin until April). But (and sorry for saying this), I do find it kind of odd that you know "the process" begins in about 3 weeks....but you have no idea what "the process" is for. Very odd of your employer, or the employer's immigration lawyers, not to have already discussed which visa "the process" will be for. Aren't you curious? If I were you I'd be calling them tomorrow and asking them!

By the way, if it is an L-1 visa, then your spouse (not partner) will be able to get an EAD allowing him/her to work in the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If the process is beginning in February, I assume it's an L-1 visa (because an H-1B visa process wouldn't begin until April). But (and sorry for saying this), I do find it kind of odd that you know "the process" begins in about 3 weeks....but you have no idea what "the process" is for. ....
I suspect that it is only "odd" from your/our perspective because you/we know how involved the process is, whereas most people think that you provide your name and address, the name of the company you'll be working for, and ..... Bob's your uncle, you get a visa!
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that it is only "odd" from your/our perspective because you/we know how involved the process is, whereas most people think that you provide your name and address, the name of the company you'll be working for, and ..... Bob's your uncle, you get a visa!
Quite possible, what confuses me is that I have seen quite a few posts recently where possession of an MBA has been mentioned.

I think I have completely misunderstood what an MBA programme involves.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:50 am
Just Joined

R1chn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Usually, but for co-habs, they can and sometimes are stamped for a year. Just don't plan on it and you can't work with it.

Also depending on the state, makes it much harder to get a drivers license, which I think might be the case for Florida.

Not being married also might not be eligible to get on your medical insurance.

B2 is really a pretty shit existence. No independence definitely brings up home sickness and doesn't help with settling down in a foreign country.
Thanksbob
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pen1
Welcome to Florida, we have a large British expat group here and some of us try to meet up for coffees etc... < . snip the deleted material . >
They aren't in Florida -not even got visas yet.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 18th 2016 at 9:25 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 3:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They aren't in Florida -not even got visas yet.
Dont be so negative.

Details, details.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 3:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Dont be so negative.

Details, details.

Not negative, just realistic!
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
.... Not negative, just realistic!
What does "realistic" have to do with aspirations to live in Florida?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

EHarmony are having a trial weekend, free.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What does "realistic" have to do with aspirations to live in Florida?
Thank you Pen1. Our target is to be there in September and it sounds like this is a great opportunity. Look forward to meeting you.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

pen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to me these forums are all about keeping the 'club' exclusive. I dont often venture here unless Im really bored as the negativity is draining. Also seems any posts offering local support clubs (not advertising we are not selling anything) are deleted by the admins here. For those of you who do find your way Stateside please rest assured the majority of us expats are welcoming inclusive and supportive.
have a nice day everyone
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

Seems to me these forums are all about keeping the 'club' exclusive. I dont often venture here unless Im really bored as the negativity is draining. Also seems any posts offering local support clubs (not advertising we are not selling anything) are deleted by the admins here. For those of you who do find your way Stateside please rest assured the majority of us expats are welcoming inclusive and supportive.
have a nice day everyone
I have been on here for a very long time and that has not been my experience, people come and people go, nature of any boards.

Sometimes I post a lot, sometime I disappear for a while, seems that way with others as well.

There is a section for meet ups so no idea what you mean by posts being deleted.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

have a nice day everyone

Thanks pen1. Some seem to be like that and others seem to be genuinly helpful. If you have any adivce of the area to live in and around Davenport/Celebration/Kissimmee that would of great help. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.