Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Orlando FL Help!

Moving to Orlando FL Help!

Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orlando FL Help!

Also, another thing I've noticed is that you refer to your 'partner'. Are you married? If you aren't, then she will need her own visa in order to come with you, as is my understanding.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

R1chn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Is this via your employer? They should be able to tell you which one they are pursuing if it is.
Hi. Yes but this is only the third time we have done it (others similar profile of person to me) as Ill be the first based in the us from the uk. They have an L1 visa i think. We are big in europe, small in US. The process for it starts in feb so Ill have more info in visa then.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Also, another thing I've noticed is that you refer to your 'partner'. Are you married? If you aren't, then she will need her own visa in order to come with you, as is my understanding.
Not married, post #3, above.

I gave a brief response in post #4.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R1chn
Hi. Yes but this is only the tird time we have done it as Ill be the first based in the us from the uk. We are big in europe, small in US.
OK. Like Pulaski said at the beginning, company transfer is probably going to be an L visa, at which point your partner (assuming you are married) should be able to work.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thank you for the info. We are not married - that is my biggest concern for her application.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:36 pm
I have a comma problem

I gave a brief response in post #4.
How did I manage to miss that. I saw your response. She'll need her own visa then, right?
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

How did I manage to miss that. I saw your response. She'll need her own visa then, right?
I honestly dont know re her. The research we've done so far suggests she can come but not work. We'll know more next month. In the meantime knowing where the safe and comfortable areas to live are is helping inform how much money we'll need (maybe to save for a house) etc etc and where to look for houses when we visit following the visa process. I know it may seem a little premature but you cant do enoguh research so we may as well start now so we are ready by September
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:43 pm
I have a comma problem

I honestly dont know re her. The research we've done so far suggests she can come but not work. We'll know more next month. In the meantime knowing where the safe and comfortable areas to live are is helping inform how much money we'll need (maybe to save for a house) etc etc and where to look for houses when we visit following the visa process. I know it may seem a little premature but you cant do enoguh research so we may as well start now so we are ready by September
I'm 99.99% sure that an unmarried cohabiting partner needs their own visa in order to accompany the primary visa holder to the US.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

I'm 99.99% sure that an unmarried cohabiting partner needs their own visa in order to accompany the primary visa holder to the US.
Ok thanks - good info.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 9:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's a "B-2 Cohabiting domestic partner visa", which appears to be a rather ugly end-run around the legal restrictions on "trailing spouse" visas (primarily for for H-1's and L-1's) to enable gay partners to accompany the primary visa holder.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

It's a "B-2 Cohabiting domestic partner visa", which appears to be a rather ugly end-run around the legal restrictions on "trailing spouse" visas (primarily for for H-1's and L-1's) to enable gay partners to accompany the primary visa holder.
Hi thanks for that. Apparently this visa needs to be renewed every six months - my partner has just told me she's found out about this one. Apparently we'll need to apply together which we will next month facilited by my company.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 9:25 pm

Hi thanks for that. Apparently this visa needs to be renewed every six months - my partner has just told me she's found out about this one. Apparently we'll need to apply together which we will next month facilited by my company.
Not exactly - a B-2 is different from a B-2 Cohabiting Partner. But you need to be sure that the immigration officer at the airport notices that it's a cohabiting partner visa. ..... But honestly, getting married is easier - if you're committed enough to move 4,000 miles across the Atlantic together surely you're committed enough to get married?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 13th 2016 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Not exactly - a B-2 is different from a B-2 Cohabiting Partner. But you need to be sure that the immigration officer at the airport notices that it's a cohabiting partner visa. ..... But honestly, getting married is easier - if you're committed enough to move 4,000 miles across the Atlantic surely you're committed enough to get married?
Yes indeed. We are discussing that right now!
Old Jan 13th 2016, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

...... and a B1/B2 visa will not allow her to work at all.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 10:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Usually, but for co-habs, they can and sometimes are stamped for a year. Just don't plan on it and you can't work with it.

Also depending on the state, makes it much harder to get a drivers license, which I think might be the case for Florida.

Not being married also might not be eligible to get on your medical insurance.

B2 is really a pretty shit existence. No independence definitely brings up home sickness and doesn't help with settling down in a foreign country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.