Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Orlando - dummie questions

Moving to Orlando - dummie questions

Old Mar 1st 2019, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

mrjt1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Orlando - dummie questions

Thank you everyone for your replies. We’re at that horrible stage where the visas should complete soon but no idea when. The last update was they finished the draft but no idea how much longer after that. Job was accepted in October so hopefully soon. Looking at Downtown Orlando online at the moment as husbands job is in the airport so want to avoid the tourist traffic on the I4. We come to Orlando about twice a year so excited to move out. Would be lovely to meet some of you when we arrive. Looking at complexes as thought would be nicer for me to meet people while I wait for my EAD. Any recommendations for places to volunteer while I’m waiting too?
Old Mar 1st 2019, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
EAD is more like 4 to 6 months.
mine just took a week over 2 months - dec to feb
Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw someone post who was at day 202.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Saw someone post who was at day 202.
wow, I got lucky then. mine also included an RFE cos I forgot to send passport pics, maybe that RFE pushed it to the top of the pile tho. wierd!
Old Mar 1st 2019, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
wow, I got lucky then. mine also included an RFE cos I forgot to send passport pics, maybe that RFE pushed it to the top of the pile tho. wierd!
Mine took 60 days. October - December 2018

I don’t think it’s that uncommon for the timescale to be shorter than that quoted.

Old Mar 1st 2019, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrjt1986
Any recommendations for places to volunteer while I’m waiting too?
That is a broad topic! What sort of stuff floats your boat? No point volunteering for a soup kitchen if the great unwashed turn your stomach.
Churches tend to be a good starting point but they might not be interested in someone who isn't prepared to commit their time once they start working and it helps if you are a God botherer.
Thanks to the Capitalist mentality that exists here there are charity opportunities for pretty much anything that requires people to spend money they haven't got - dogs, cats, horses, lizards, food, kids, environment, etc!
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 1:28 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
That is a broad topic! What sort of stuff floats your boat? No point volunteering for a soup kitchen if the great unwashed turn your stomach.
Churches tend to be a good starting point but they might not be interested in someone who isn't prepared to commit their time once they start working and it helps if you are a God botherer.
Thanks to the Capitalist mentality that exists here there are charity opportunities for pretty much anything that requires people to spend money they haven't got - dogs, cats, horses, lizards, food, kids, environment, etc!
back in 2004 as a k1 l volunteered at the local law school as a witness in a mock trial. A couple of days of harmless community service.. helping potential lawyers get better....