British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Orlando...can anyone suggest the best areas to live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-orlando-can-anyone-suggest-best-areas-live-851159/)

nominaomi Jan 20th 2015 9:35 pm

Moving to Orlando...can anyone suggest the best areas to live?

Hiya, sorry to piggy back on this thread but my husband and I are also moving to Orlando! We got approved for our E2 employee visa (im the employee) and fly next Wednesday!!

My new job is paying for 2 weeks accomodation and a hire car. But we will be looking for a place.

We have a budget of $1500 for rent however we do have 2 dogs who will be coming over too us after we have found a place, one of which is a(very soft) doberman.

I'll be working in the north east of the city near Siemens. We don't have kids just the dogs. Was wondering what areas people would recommend to live?

Natasha27 Jan 20th 2015 9:59 pm

Re: Helloooo Any Brits in Orlando Florida???

Congratulations on your move! I bet your so excited! Good luck and somebody helps you with areas to live in! :)

Jerseygirl Jan 21st 2015 1:02 am

Re: Moving to Orlando...can anyone suggest the best areas to live?

Originally Posted by nominaomi (Post 11539623)
Hiya, sorry to piggy back on this thread but my husband and I are also moving to Orlando! We got approved for our E2 employee visa (im the employee) and fly next Wednesday!!

My new job is paying for 2 weeks accomodation and a hire car. But we will be looking for a place.

We have a budget of $1500 for rent however we do have 2 dogs who will be coming over too us after we have found a place, one of which is a(very soft) doberman.

I'll be working in the north east of the city near Siemens. We don't have kids just the dogs. Was wondering what areas people would recommend to live?

I have moved your post into a new thread. :)

Hotscot Jan 21st 2015 1:18 am

Originally Posted by nominaomi (Post 11539623)

Welcome.
What kind of work is it?

Wibblypig Jan 22nd 2015 1:00 am

I have friends who live in Waterford Lakes who's son has been interning at Siemens. What sort of accommodation are you looking for? Apartment? House? House with Pool? Walking distance to shops etc? I live in South-West Orlando, but you want to be close by to work as traffic can be a nightmare.

Sue Jan 22nd 2015 11:17 am

Yep, I concur on the traffic. If you are working north of Orlando then you may want to consider living as close to work as you can (within reason of course). Because the traffic is a nightmare, particularly around rush hour (as with most places) but due to the amount of tourists we have the I-4 is always busy. However, saying that it sounds like you won't be far from the 417 which should be more quiet, so my advice is stay as close to that as you can and as far away from the I-4 as possible.

The Waterford Lakes area does have a lot of amenities (shops/restaurants etc), but personally I've found the traffic around there pretty busy as well (and to add to the misery at the moment they have roadworks going on around there - I think they are putting pipes in or something). But it has pretty easy access to the 417 etc, and not too far from where you will be working by the sounds of it.

Here are some links for you to search for rentals:
Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US
Homes for Rent & Apartments for Rent | Homes.com
Post a Free Rental Listing - Zillow

Craigslist it also a good place (we found our first house rental through there), but be careful to make sure you are dealing with a legit homeowner/agency because there have been some rental scams on there. I use the Orange County tax site to scope out prospective properties and make sure the owners are who they say they are (just put the address in) https://www.octaxcol.com/Octc/PropertyTax/Search.aspx

When we first moved to Orlando we rented an apartment for 6 months until we scoped out the area and figured out the best place to live to suit our needs. So that's something you may want to consider. You can find apartments for rent on most places (including Craigslist) and sites like: Apartments for Rent - Nationwide Apartment Finder | Apartments.com

nominaomi Jan 22nd 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks for the hints and tips. Yeah traffic does appear to be a challenge. Although recently I've been doing 45 mins to 1HR and 15 mins commute. Just would like to have less than that really!!!

I'm a recruitment consultant (I know surge of the world) in answer to the question about what I'll be doing.

Ideally looking for a house with a garden for the dogs. Not overly bothered on pool. We'd mainly been looking at Oveido as winter park seems a bit pricy but we're wondering if there was anywhere good a bit closer to downtown. :) Have a while to wait anyway cos of social security numbers!

OnwardandUpward Jan 22nd 2015 12:20 pm

I don't know anything about Orlando but all the rental apartments I have had in Houston and Arkansas had restrictions against Doberman dogs or other 'vicious breeds'.

Sue Jan 22nd 2015 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by nominaomi (Post 11541503)

Ideally looking for a house with a garden for the dogs. Not overly bothered on pool. We'd mainly been looking at Oveido as winter park seems a bit pricy but we're wondering if there was anywhere good a bit closer to downtown. :) Have a while to wait anyway cos of social security numbers!

There are some lovely areas near the city (although they are a little pricey). Look at Delaney Park and Thornton Park. Really cute cobble lined streets.

Also we live in Belle Isle, it might be a little far south for you, but it's convenient for the 528 and 417 and easy to get to places from. Here's an example of a house (close to your budget) in the Belle Isle area: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/51...46147708_zpid/

sir_eccles Jan 22nd 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward (Post 11541511)
I don't know anything about Orlando but all the rental apartments I have had in Houston and Arkansas had restrictions against Doberman dogs or other 'vicious breeds'.

I've seen similar, often the restriction is against large dogs. Ironically, I think smaller dogs tend to be noisier and cause more damage.

nominaomi Jan 22nd 2015 4:28 pm

With our pair that's definitely the case. The doberman is a giant soppy softy. Whereas the little shih tzu is a terror! I've been looking on zillow and trulia for properties that specifically accept large dogs so we don't get caught out. TBF most are pretty transparent and if there is a list of dogs they dont accept they mention it on the ad. Letting agents don't tend to want their time wasted as much as I don't want mine wasted. Same as any sales person really.

Sue Jan 22nd 2015 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by nominaomi (Post 11541817)
With our pair that's definitely the case. The doberman is a giant soppy softy. Whereas the little shih tzu is a terror! I've been looking on zillow and trulia for properties that specifically accept large dogs so we don't get caught out. TBF most are pretty transparent and if there is a list of dogs they dont accept they mention it on the ad. Letting agents don't tend to want their time wasted as much as I don't want mine wasted. Same as any sales person really.

A tip, even if they say they won't accept the dog, still take a look at the house and then ask the landlord if they will reconsider. The house we rented said they wouldn't allow large pets, but after we visited it the landlord seem to take a liking to us, so we asked if he would allow our large lab. He said yes! So it all worked out in the end. When we moved out he said we were the best tenants he had ever had (big kudos to us :D).

sir_eccles Jan 22nd 2015 4:37 pm

Also be aware this may be an issue when it comes to homeowner/renters insurance. Depending on the company, they may ask the breed and there may be an extra premium.

Also, when renting you may be asked to place a pet deposit and a non-refundable pet cleaning fee. Sticker shock sometimes.

nominaomi Jan 22nd 2015 4:44 pm

Yeah, we're planning on loads of extra deposit and stuff cos of no credit and no rental history, so if it's less than 6 months rent in advance which someone on here was possible, we'll be pleasantly surprised. We've had to do extra pet deposit and pay for a clean when we've left properties in the UK so that's no massive surprise. :)