moving to orlando

moving to orlando

Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

jonlinzi1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to orlando

Originally Posted by Boiler
But you have no qualifications?
I have loads of qualifications but as I'm finding out they mean nothing in the US
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonlinzi1981
the h1 visa looks like it would be the most achievable
You will need a good degree qualification for that.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

the h1 visa looks like it would be the most achievable
Nope ... not unless you qualify as a electronics engineer which from the sounds of it you don't

H1B Occupations - H1B Visa - H1B Jobs - Work in America - H1 Base - H1Base - USA Work Permit - Green Card - H1 Visa - US Work Visa - Immigration USA - H1B - H1-B - H-1B - Live in the USA - Job in USA - USA VISA - Work in USA
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have loads of qualifications but as I'm finding out they mean nothing in the US
I assumed US relevant qualifications was implied.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

hi there I'm aware of the vacation bubble the weather is a big factor in it we live in Yorkshire and it rains a lot it's currently rained for about 3 days straight now there just seems more opportunity for work and education seems to be better our schools round here don't actually teach to a degree they just teach you how to take exams
Rained here 3 days straight too
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
Rained here 3 days straight too
at least it's warm tho it's August here and we are out and about in coats
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

I take it electronics is a sort after area that the US is short on
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

atlanta355 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there me and my family are looking into moving to florida but do not know we're to start we are based in the UK I'm a self employed electrician running my own business and want a better life for my kids and florida seems to be our favourite place just wanted to know if anyone can give us some advice/tips on we're to start
I have a large office in Orlando although i live right now in GA. We struggle to get people to move to the area even on very good salaries. Some points to consider:

Schools are generally bad in Orlando, need to compare like to like with UK. Most co workers go private at 20k a year per kid. Otherwise look into areas like Windermere.

Homes in the only few good school districts are not cheap especially when you add in property taxes, insurance etc which can easily be 10k year on a 500k home. Just because you get a bigger home do not assume it is well made or better either.

It should be possible to start up your own business and be successful if you get can work around the visa issues. You may however need to be licensed in the state and carry hefty insurance etc.

If you are not a highly educated professional you will find a lot more competition in Orlando from other expats than in otter locations. This may lead to you be able to bill and earn less as there may be lots of other semi legal electricians serving the market.

Last edited by atlanta355; Aug 8th 2017 at 9:00 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I take it electronics is a sort after area that the US is short on
No, they aren't that short, but having a good degree and good experience with, preferably, a known company will give you at least a chance to get a job.
There are a limited number of jobs where the US will take on people from outside the UK, and Mr Trump wants to cut that list even more. The vast majority of people from the UK will only be able to go to the US on holiday.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by atlanta355
I have a large office in Orlando although i live right now in GA. We struggle to get people to move to the area even on very good salaries. Some points to consider:

Schools are generally bad in Orlando, need to compare like to like with UK. Most co workers go private at 20k a year per kid. Otherwise look into areas like Windermere.

Homes in the only few good school districts are not cheap especially when you add in property taxes, insurance etc which can easily be 10k year on a 500k home. Just because you get a bigger home do not assume it is well made or better either.

It should be possible to start up your own business and be successful if you get can work around the visa issues. You may however need to be licensed in the state and carry hefty insurance etc.

If you are not a highly educated professional you will find a lot more competition in Orlando from other expats than in otter locations. This may lead to you be able to bill and earn less as there may be lots of other semi legal electricians serving the market.
I presumed it would be better to work for someone else rather than working for your self as insurance would be a fortune its not cheap to do it in the uk what do you do then please
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

I would take Yorkshire over Orlando or Florida in a heartbeat. Come for 3 months and try and live without the 'vacation bubble' you will imho find many many reasons to return.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the requirements for an H-1B visa? A degree is essential.

Not all jobs qualify for a visa and heating/electrical/gas engineers/fitters do not qualify.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...fashion-models

The majority of H-1B's go to technical/IT/structural/mechanical/civil engineers/financial folks these days.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I would take Yorkshire over Orlando or Florida in a heartbeat. Come for 3 months and try and live without the 'vacation bubble' you will imho find many many reasons to return.
you soon would get bored with the weather it's nice to have the country side on your door step but the weather does get on your nerves after a while
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I presumed it would be better to work for someone else rather than working for your self as insurance would be a fortune its not cheap to do it in the uk what do you do then please
Begs the question who would employ you and sponsor you for a visa, not cheap.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Begs the question who would employ you and sponsor you for a visa, not cheap.
that's what I'm trying to find out I know it's not going to be an easy process but its something that me and my family want to do so want to persue it and at least give it a go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.