British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Ohio!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-ohio-472325/)

Dodgykeeps Aug 7th 2007 6:30 pm

Moving to Ohio!!

Hi everyone.

I'm moving to Springboro, OH in about 4 weeks time on an L-1 visa (with the missus and 2 kids joining me in October). Can't believe it's finally happening - made the initial enquiry with my company 12 months ago. Can't wait to get over. Got an offer for a house accepted and everything is going well.:thumbsup:

Anyone else in Ohio? Anything I should be aware of when I get over?

Cheers

Paul

Paul S Aug 7th 2007 8:04 pm

Re: Moving to Ohio!!

welcome:)

Your gonna be down sarf from those of us in the frozen north of the state. Its been dry down there recently (I work with clients in Miamisburg on a regular basis). Not too sure of the lay of the land down there but I'm sure theres a couple of others on here in that neck of the woods.

Main highlight for me when I'm down there is this place by Dayton Mall
http://www.amarindiadayton.com/

and you'll be wanting to make the trip to Fairfield
http://www.junglejims.com/

trust me, you'll spend buckets in there at the UK section:thumbsup:

Adnams Aug 7th 2007 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dodgykeeps (Post 5160189)
Hi everyone.

I'm moving to Springboro, OH in about 4 weeks time on an L-1 visa (with the missus and 2 kids joining me in October). Can't believe it's finally happening - made the initial enquiry with my company 12 months ago. Can't wait to get over. Got an offer for a house accepted and everything is going well.:thumbsup:

Cheers

Paul

Expect the unexpected. And bring Walkers crisp. You could probably flog em on here. Also if you bring Boots No 7 Protect and Renew in bulk you could probably make a mint! Dolly lama Jumping Doris and i will be your first customers.

Jerseygirl Aug 7th 2007 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5160779)
Expect the unexpected. And bring Walkers crisp. You could probably flog em on here. Also if you bring Boots No 7 Protect and Renew in bulk you could probably make a mint! Dolly lama Jumping Doris and i will be your first customers.

You can by some Boots No 7 products at Target.

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 7th 2007 8:17 pm

Hi everyone.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

I live in Cincinnati - not far from where you'll be at all. I'm American (Ohio native) so I can't be counted on for a familiar accent, but if there's anything I can do to ease your transition at all please let me know. :)

People are generally very friendly in Ohio (don't be surprised if a neighbor brings you a cake or cookies when you move in) but most have grown up here and don't have a desire to leave. That's quite alright, but it can make it a bit tough to make friends sometimes. Just put yourself out there and you'll do just fine.

Also - you're not far at all from a great store called Jungle Jim's (www.junglejims.com) which sells all sorts of British foods, as well as those from just about every other country you can think of. There's also a place where you can have a relatively authentic (or so I understand) English tea downtown.

Best of luck to you!
Kathy

rbtuk Aug 7th 2007 8:18 pm

Also need to visit the USAF museum at Wright Patterson AFB - best aircraft museum i have ever seen.
Professional football at Columbus Crew north Columbus. All American Football and Baseball in Cincinatti, ice hockey in Columbus. That just about covers the sports.

Kings Island amusement park at Mason north of Cincinatti for any older kids.

Good area as far as I can see from my regular visits for work.

Great family oriented state - I think your love it.

Adnams Aug 7th 2007 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5160809)
You can by some Boots No 7 products at Target.

Only when the have it this stuff sells out in mins.

Paul S Aug 7th 2007 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5160845)
Only when the have it this stuff sells out in mins.

send us a shopping list as ours always has buckets in (obviously I'm shopping for meself in there:blink:)

Adnams Aug 7th 2007 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 5161068)
send us a shopping list as ours always has buckets in (obviously I'm shopping for meself in there:blink:)

Are but do they have the elixir Protect and Renew? Its called restore and rewind here.

Celsius Aug 7th 2007 9:22 pm

Hi everyone.

Cheers

Paul

Bring all your woolies. You'll need 'em come winter.

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 7th 2007 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by rbtuk (Post 5160825)
Professional football at Columbus Crew north Columbus. All American Football and Baseball in Cincinatti, ice hockey in Columbus. That just about covers the sports.

Don't forget "THE Ohio State University". Believe me - you'll be inundated with that soon enough. College football (American) is HUGE in Ohio.

Kings Island amusement park at Mason north of Cincinnati for any older kids.

Be sure to visit Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. It has ruined me for any other amusement park. :thumbup:

I'm less familiar with Dayton (the largest city north) but you'll also find the arts well-represented in Cincinnati (several museums (including the Underground Railroad museum), symphony, ballet, opera, many theater troupes). We also have the largest Oktoberfest celebration outside of Munich in September.

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 7th 2007 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius (Post 5161087)
Bring all your woolies. You'll need 'em come winter.

There's a noticeable difference in snowfall between the north and south of I-70. You'll be on the south side. :thumbup:

Dodgykeeps Aug 9th 2007 6:12 pm

Thanks everyone.

I been over for a couple of visits (once in may on my own to meet my new work colleagues, once with the family last month). It does seem really friendly and a great place to bring up my 2 kids. We just want to make sure they settle okay as that's the main concern!

Cheers

Paul

jumping doris Aug 10th 2007 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dodgykeeps (Post 5169561)
Thanks everyone.

I been over for a couple of visits (once in may on my own to meet my new work colleagues, once with the family last month). It does seem really friendly and a great place to bring up my 2 kids. We just want to make sure they settle okay as that's the main concern!

Cheers

Paul

Hi Welcome to BE.

As for the Boots No. 7..I'll have anything that will make me look 10 years younger, doesn't have to come from Boots.....rhino placenta will do nicely:)

Duncan Roberts Aug 10th 2007 11:07 pm

It's cold in the winter, hot in the summer. The Crew are average at best, but the stadium is nice and I go down for most games.

Learn the words to Hang on Sloopy and all the movements that go along with it and know that if somebody shouts "O H" at you, they aren't being rude and the correct response is "I O"!