Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC - Rental help

Moving to NYC - Rental help

Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to NYC - Rental help

Hi guys,

Moving to NYC next weekend & slightly concerned about the rental market.

I have no credit rating as I am a UK citizen and my husband has been out of the country for nearly 3 years so I don't think it'll be great.

We both have employment which equates more then 40x the rental cost we are looking at.

Will we have issues finding a property without a guarantor?
What have most people done as I know i'm not the first to have this concern?

Where can we look for private rentals that are direct with the landlord?

Thanks guys slightly panicking lol
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NYC - Rental help

You'll be fine; just make sure you have proof of salary. At least you have credit history -
my USC wife let Citi close her accounts after 6 years in the UK which was bad!

NYC is a very fast moving market so make sure you can quickly get the deposit checks together. We ended up paying a larger deposit instead of the usual first and last months which was refunded when we renewed our 1 year lease.

The larger rental companies will work with you directly. We used a realtor, but then you're on the hook for 15% of your first years rent (ouch).

https://www.nybits.com/ is a great resource to see what's available and in your budget.

Outside of NYC, there are other rentals. I liked Bozzuto which has several great properties in Westchester (we lived at 15 Bank in White Plains for a couple years and had a great experience).
Old Oct 19th 2017, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaffy23 View Post
You'll be fine; just make sure you have proof of salary. At least you have credit history -
my USC wife let Citi close her accounts after 6 years in the UK which was bad!

NYC is a very fast moving market so make sure you can quickly get the deposit checks together. We ended up paying a larger deposit instead of the usual first and last months which was refunded when we renewed our 1 year lease.

The larger rental companies will work with you directly. We used a realtor, but then you're on the hook for 15% of your first years rent (ouch).

https://www.nybits.com/ is a great resource to see what's available and in your budget.

Outside of NYC, there are other rentals. I liked Bozzuto which has several great properties in Westchester (we lived at 15 Bank in White Plains for a couple years and had a great experience).
Ahh thank you so much!
Relieved! We have the month upfront and the month deposit ready so we are ready ASAP for the right place.

I was trying to avoid paying fee's lol.. I've been looking at HotPads and Naked Apartments. Just hoping potential landlords can see we have a valid reason for a crappy credit score.

I have a letter from my employer with proof of salary and so has hubby so we should be ok!
Old Oct 21st 2017, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Dmac_ is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first moved to NY, I lived in an AirBNB for a while to delay this problem. When I got my first "proper" apartment, I found a building that accepted Insurgent - they act as a guarantor for foreign people, at the cost of about an entire month's rent.

Note that I'm self employed (in fact, that's one of the reasons I was able to emigrate here in the first place), so it was harder for me because I had no pay stubs to show them.