British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to NYC with husband teenage DD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-nyc-husband-teenage-dd-927936/)

Pigeonmum Sep 16th 2019 6:49 pm

Moving to NYC with husband teenage DD

I would love some advice as to which areas to look at living in NY. My husband is currently commuting to NY from London weekly and we have to make the next step. He is going to get an apartment for 6 months and fly back and forth every other week before we make the move as a family next Summer and before the school year starts. My 12 year old daughter will be coming with us (our 17 year old will stay in the UK at boarding school and come and visit). My youngest is currently in a great private school in England but we don't want her to stay and board. Therefore where is a great area to look at living. My husband's office is near Grand Central station.

We used to live in London before moving to the country 10 years ago so have had horses and dogs. I don't know whether we will try and recreate some of this or just to embrace the NYC lifestyle. Any tips on community areas, great schools and anything else I have to consider before we jump.

Thank you in advance

pejp Sep 16th 2019 7:41 pm

Re: Moving to NYC with husband teenage DD

Originally Posted by Pigeonmum (Post 12736200)
I would love some advice as to which areas to look at living in NY. My husband is currently commuting to NY from London weekly and we have to make the next step. He is going to get an apartment for 6 months and fly back and forth every other week before we make the move as a family next Summer and before the school year starts. My 12 year old daughter will be coming with us (our 17 year old will stay in the UK at boarding school and come and visit). My youngest is currently in a great private school in England but we don't want her to stay and board. Therefore where is a great area to look at living. My husband's office is near Grand Central station.

We used to live in London before moving to the country 10 years ago so have had horses and dogs. I don't know whether we will try and recreate some of this or just to embrace the NYC lifestyle. Any tips on community areas, great schools and anything else I have to consider before we jump.

Thank you in advance

Well a lot of it will be budget driven, so without knowing that, it's hard to say, but I think Connecticut might be what you're looking for if you want the country lifestyle, although the nice towns are very expensive. If your husband is commuting to GC, you want to look anywhere on the Metro-Noth line. Greenwich is nice, but ultra pricey, but the towns along the Hudson Valley can be more affordable relatively speaking. Hastings, Tarrytown, even Cold Spring if he doesn't mind a long commute. If you want to stay in NYC, I'd say Brooklyn Heights or Park Slope, both in Brooklyn, are probably the most family friendly areas, although they're both very expensive too. You're probably not going to find much of a community/family friendly area in Manhattan, although the Upper West Side I've always found to have more of a neighborhood feeling than other areas. If you wanted to share you approximate budget, that might help people make better recommendations.

I don't know much about schools, but from what I understand....property taxes in areas along the Hudson Valley and in Connecticut are absurdly expensive, but the schools are very good. It's almost like a proxy private school fee. In Manhattan and Brooklyn, all of my friends with kids send them private.

Nutmegger Sep 16th 2019 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pigeonmum (Post 12736200)

Thank you in advance

Welcome to BE! If your husband's office is in midtown, I would recomend that you look at Westchester County, NY, and Fairfield County, CT, as options. Both counties are within commuter distance of NYC and have numerous beautiful towns with excellent school systems. Perhaps your OH can find where his colleagues live, and see if they have any recommendations. If you look at the Metro-North Railroad schedules for the lines that go through Fairfield County (the New Haven line) and Westchester County (the Harlem and the Hudson lines), you can get an idea of how long the commute would be and perhaps decide what kind of radius you want to narrow your search to. As regards schools, in the city itself you would probably want to go private, whereas in the counties I have suggested there are attractive towns with well-rated public schools.

Pigeonmum Sep 16th 2019 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12736222)
Welcome to BE! If your husband's office is in midtown, I would recomend that you look at Westchester County, NY, and Fairfield County, CT, as options. Both counties are within commuter distance of NYC and have numerous beautiful towns with excellent school systems. Perhaps your OH can find where his colleagues live, and see if they have any recommendations. If you look at the Metro-North Railroad schedules for the lines that go through Fairfield County (the New Haven line) and Westchester County (the Harlem and the Hudson lines), you can get an idea of how long the commute would be and perhaps decide what kind of radius you want to narrow your search to. As regards schools, in the city itself you would probably want to go private, whereas in the counties I have suggested there are attractive towns with well-rated public schools.

Thats a great idea to find our where his colleagues children go to school. He’s going in to head up the USA business and is finding it too difficult to get to other offices in different states when he’s coming from the UK. I’m going to be alone with my daughter for some of the time so a community is essential. Thank you for your reply.

Pigeonmum Sep 16th 2019 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by pejp (Post 12736221)
Well a lot of it will be budget driven, so without knowing that, it's hard to say, but I think Connecticut might be what you're looking for if you want the country lifestyle, although the nice towns are very expensive. If your husband is commuting to GC, you want to look anywhere on the Metro-Noth line. Greenwich is nice, but ultra pricey, but the towns along the Hudson Valley can be more affordable relatively speaking. Hastings, Tarrytown, even Cold Spring if he doesn't mind a long commute. If you want to stay in NYC, I'd say Brooklyn Heights or Park Slope, both in Brooklyn, are probably the most family friendly areas, although they're both very expensive too. You're probably not going to find much of a community/family friendly area in Manhattan, although the Upper West Side I've always found to have more of a neighborhood feeling than other areas. If you wanted to share you approximate budget, that might help people make better recommendations.

I don't know much about schools, but from what I understand....property taxes in areas along the Hudson Valley and in Connecticut are absurdly expensive, but the schools are very good. It's almost like a proxy private school fee. In Manhattan and Brooklyn, all of my friends with kids send them private.

Thank you for your reply - I’m not sure of the budget yet but from what I can see around $5000-$6000 seems to be the norm?

pejp Sep 16th 2019 8:16 pm

[QUOTE=Pigeonmum;12736232]

Originally Posted by pejp (Post 12736221)

I don't know much about schools, but from what I understand....property taxes in areas along the Hudson Valley and in Connecticut are absurdly expensive, but the schools are very good. It's almost like a proxy private school fee. In Manhattan and Brooklyn, all of my friends with kids send them private.[/Q

Thank you for your reply - I’m not sure of the budget yet but from what I can see around $5000-$6000 seems to be the norm?

Not sure about 'the norm', that's obviously a very high budget compared to most people's standards, but really depends what you want. I lived in NYC for 8 years and moved to a different US city in 2015. My wife and I are moving back to New York next year, but we'll have two kids, and we want to rent again for a year or two before we decide where we want to settle. We're working with a budget of around $5k, maybe 5.5k, and even for that I'm not finding much. My criteria is at least 2 bed in an elevator building that allows dogs, in one of Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, Greenpoint, and I'm not finding much over 1000 sq ft. With a budget of 5-6k in Manhattan or a desirable area of Brooklyn, you're looking at a fairly small (900-1100 sq ft) 2 bed in a modern building, maybe a 3 bed but the quality of the building will decrease. Not sure what rental costs are like in the other areas mentioned. Again, depends what you're looking for. If you want truly spacious (1600 sq ft+) 2 or 3 bed in a modern building in NYC, it'll be more like $7k+

Check out StreetEasy to get an idea of costs.

Pigeonmum Sep 16th 2019 8:28 pm

[QUOTE=pejp;12736239]

Originally Posted by Pigeonmum (Post 12736232)
[left]

Not sure about 'the norm', that's obviously a very high budget compared to most people's standards, but really depends what you want. I lived in NYC for 8 years and moved to a different US city in 2015. My wife and I are moving back to New York next year, but we'll have two kids, and we want to rent again for a year or two before we decide where we want to settle. We're working with a budget of around $5k, maybe 5.5k, and even for that I'm not finding much. My criteria is at least 2 bed in an elevator building that allows dogs, in one of Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, Greenpoint, and I'm not finding much over 1000 sq ft. With a budget of 5-6k in Manhattan or a desirable area of Brooklyn, you're looking at a fairly small (900-1100 sq ft) 2 bed in a modern building, maybe a 3 bed but the quality of the building will decrease. Not sure what rental costs are like in the other areas mentioned. Again, depends what you're looking for. If you want truly spacious (1600 sq ft+) 2 or 3 bed in a modern building in NYC, it'll be more like $7k+

Check out StreetEasy to get an idea of costs.

Thank you it is useful to even be pointed in the right direction of where to look. Your response was much appreciated

Nutmegger Sep 16th 2019 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pigeonmum (Post 12736230)

Thats a great idea to find our where his colleagues children go to school. He’s going in to head up the USA business and is finding it too difficult to get to other offices in different states when he’s coming from the UK. I’m going to be alone with my daughter for some of the time so a community is essential. Thank you for your reply.

Then the business should certainly be investing in a relocation consultant for you, to do the heavy lifting! I'd suggest doing some research into which areas you think would work best for you, or your husband's colleagues recommend, and using a consultant with specialization in each of these areas (or just the one!). There are things that you wouldn't know to take into consideration that they will help with -- such as how the public school your child attends is usually dependent on your street address. However, in most upscale CT or Westchester towns there is just one high school, though there may be a few middle schools. You will find that your daughter will be a great asset in helping you to meet new people -- there are so many school activities where you will meet the other parents, and people are very friendly in the US! There is also the volunteering angle -- if you are interested in helping with the local library, or the animal welfare group, that will bring you into contact with like-minded people.

tht Sep 17th 2019 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pigeonmum (Post 12736230)

I did the NYC-LON commute 2 or 3 times a month for a couple of years, not sure how the reverse works with flight timings.. Taking the Friday PM redeye gets you back home late on Sat AM, but you would have to leave again Sunday PM to be back in NYC late Sunday for Monday AM, so it seems like a move is a wise idea.

I moved out to Fairfield CT a couple of years ago from NYC. You mention that he will have to visit other states, you need to understand which airport he will need to fly from. Traffic getting to the airports from out here in CT can be even more unpredictable than from the city. On a Tuesday at 11am I can get to LGA in 45 mins driving, coming back I have had a 4h drive back out at 4pm on a Friday afternoon.

JFK and EWR add more time. We moved out here to be closer to my wife’s family, but for frequent travel you may have to consider NJ for EWR or LI for JFK.

When looking at the commute don’t just look at the train timetable. My last office in the city was 2 blocks from GC and it was close to 2h each way when you add driving to the train, parking (once you clear the waitlist for a permit), walking to the platform, train ride, queuing to get off the train / platform, walking to the office etc. I always calculated “door to desk” in big buildings even your start time can be a factor as elevators get very busy at certain hours.

In terms of the towns out in CT, they can be very different in terms of diversity, tax, housing and schooling. Westchester is closer to the 40 min commute you mentioned but tax's can be very high and that will reflect in your rent as the owner pays and will be passing it through in your rent, and you may still have to look at private schools, make sure to look at the town website for school zoning as apps like Zillow are not always accurate.

Pigeonmum Sep 19th 2019 8:57 pm

Thank you , food for thought. Much appreciated,

Ecto17 Sep 25th 2019 12:14 am

When we moved to NJ a couple of years ago l used a map and realtor.com. I googled various towns, researched ones with walkable downtowns (which was important to us). I checked out towns with good high schools (even though my kid was 5) as that gave me a quick idea of how strong the school system was in that town. I looked at the rentals in each of the towns and then graded the towns, cost, types of properties available and how many rentals were on. This lady bit is important as you don’t want to settle into a community and then find a year in your landlord wants to sell and you can’t find any local / suitable rentals. I then graded the towns into Phase 1,2 and 3 and gave this info to our relocation consultant who was lovely and very helpful but in all honesty, l had done enough research to manage this on our own but it was nice not to have to. Interestingly we ended up in a town where one of my colleagues lived so that was good advise to find out where others live.
Enjoy your adventure!

Updatedusername Oct 7th 2019 6:17 pm

I wish you all the best with your plans.
if you haven't already found a place yet, your budget would get you in a large apartment or small townhouse in Forest Hills Gardens. 30 to 45 minute commute to Grand Central, and you wouldn't need to run a car.
Andy

hitenr Oct 9th 2019 7:10 pm

Hello! My family (wife + twins) moved from Manhattan to Westchester in 2017 and love it. The schools are amazing and the commute into GC is really quick and reliable. I would be very happy to talk you more through it if you still need any advice. Please PM me...

Nutmegger Oct 9th 2019 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by hitenr (Post 12746176)
Hello! My family (wife + twins) moved from Manhattan to Westchester in 2017 and love it. The schools are amazing and the commute into GC is really quick and reliable. I would be very happy to talk you more through it if you still need any advice. Please PM me...

No need to pm -- everyone is interested in hearing about both the OP's concerns and your experiences.