Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC - help needed!

Moving to NYC - help needed!

Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

bigrooster81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to NYC - help needed!

Originally Posted by Errol
I live on West 99th Street. It takes me about 5 minuttes to the 96th Subway station which connects with the 2 and 3 and the 1 line

The 2 and 3 are express. (2 stops, 72nd Street and 42nd Times Square) and takes about 5 minuttes. The one is a local a takes a little longer

I get the train about 7:10 in the morning and the express is already filling up. Were I to leave at around 9:00am I might might the local a little less crowded and they I think they are little more frequent.

From my perspective, the Upper West Side may offer slightly more square footage compared to the Upper East Side for the price. The Upper East Side to 96th Street has always been a gem, but that couldn't be said for the Upper West side until about ten years ago. Thanks to the Columbia University acquiring mega properties on the UWS and there has been a building boom it is now gentrified I would say through to about 115th Street

Brooklyn Heights which overlooks lower Manhattan can easily equal or exceed in price it's Manhattan UES or UWS equivalent.

Another option is Forest Hills in Queens which is served by the Long Island Rail Road, and the E and F Subway lines which are express and can take, depending on the time, less that 25 minuttes to Lexington Avenue. APartment rentals can be close to Manhattan in price
Thanks Errol - great info. I'm really going in circles though. Every time someone says something, another come in with an equally compelling argument!! If I were to work on Wall St, Bkln Hts would be an option, but seems much more of a mission to get to Times Sq.

I think I have whittled it down to the UWS or The Village. I think from that point it'll all depend on the difference in pices and what I can get. If I can negotiate something good in the Village I may have to go for it.

On that note, can you negotiate rent or will a broker laugh in your face?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=bigrooster81;8941827]Cheers guys - I feel a bit of a prat asking if it was an OK salary now.

As nice as the UES sounds, without approporiate public transport, it seems a bit of a waste living there. It'll probably add an extra half hour on my journey as opposed to eg the UWS.

Maybe!

The UES and the UWS are different and you will notice it.

The advantage of the UWS the trains (2 and 3) are express and they go right into 7th Avenue and 42nd Street Times Square. After that, they stop at 34th Penn Station, then express again to 14th, and the express to Chambers Street!

On the UES, the 6 train is local, but the 5 and 6 are express. The express goes from 125th to 85th to 59th to 42nd Street Grand Central. From Grand Central there is a transfer to the Shuttle to Times Square which at peak hour is virtually turn around service.

It may not add to your time as much as you think! In my experience, if you are going to be in the office at 8;00am compared to 9;00 or 10;00am traffic will will lighter.

New York City is a late city. By that I mean office workers often get in late and stay late. I hear in LA they get in early, but in NYC depending on the office policy, they stroll in at 10;00am sometimes. However, it's common to work way after 6;00pm

Errol
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Errol;8941891]
Originally Posted by bigrooster81
Cheers guys - I feel a bit of a prat asking if it was an OK salary now.

As nice as the UES sounds, without approporiate public transport, it seems a bit of a waste living there. It'll probably add an extra half hour on my journey as opposed to eg the UWS.

Maybe!

The UES and the UWS are different and you will notice it.

The advantage of the UWS the trains (2 and 3) are express and they go right into 7th Avenue and 42nd Street Times Square. After that, they stop at 34th Penn Station, then express again to 14th, and the express to Chambers Street!

On the UES, the 6 train is local, but the 5 and 6 are express. The express goes from 125th to 85th to 59th to 42nd Street Grand Central. From Grand Central there is a transfer to the Shuttle to Times Square which at peak hour is virtually turn around service.

It may not add to your time as much as you think! In my experience, if you are going to be in the office at 8;00am compared to 9;00 or 10;00am traffic will will lighter.

New York City is a late city. By that I mean office workers often get in late and stay late. I hear in LA they get in early, but in NYC depending on the office policy, they stroll in at 10;00am sometimes. However, it's common to work way after 6;00pm

Errol

I am in Calif (I was told much more relaxed / laid back state) and I start at 830 sharp and never leave before 630-7 pm :S
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigrooster81
Brooklyn - (Park Slopes)
As you say Retzie great place for cafes groceries etc. Nice relaxed vibe. However, from what I hear it is a bit too relaxed. I do like to party a bit and if it's easier to get home after a night out, all the better. A slightly longer commute isn't a problem for me tho. It also appears to be more of a family place.
Okay, more info makes me see we are very different people, so you can ignore me! But for the record:

I have no idea about Richmond, London, but Richmond, Melbourne is pretty close . My vague knowledge of London says Park Slope is more Islington, post-gentrification (is this totally wrong??) It is not nearly as mumsy as people seem to think. Particularly toward Cobble Hill, it's more child-free professionals who are cool, but whose ironic moustache tolerance is too low for Williamsburg (cf. East London).

Also, it depends what you mean by 'party.' My destinations are dance music gigs and zomg amazing cocktail bars. Since both of these pastimes are largely served by the LES/Williamsburg, my needs/wants are clearly very different to those of others here!