Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC...help!!

Moving to NYC...help!!

Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to NYC...help!!

I've just been told that my company is willing to bring me to NYC on an L1-B Visa. I am very excited by this, but I've started to look into it and I'm a bit worried already.....particularly with regards to apartment rental! Most websites say that you need a proven US credit history to be able to rent an apartment, but I dont have that. I have been working for my company for nearly 4 years, and can get them to write me a letter. I can also bring UK payslips and bank statements if nessecary. I read that some places will accept you, but would want 6 months rent up front. My budget is around $2500 per month so I cant really afford that....what options do I have? Is it possible to get some kind of credit report transfer? My girlfriend is a US citizen who lives in London with me, so she could get a credit report, but wont have earnings as she'll be looking for a job when we move. Is it likely that someone would take a combination of her credit report, with my earnings statements?

Also, I want to live in Manhattan or possibly Brooklyn. Does $2500 for a 1 bed sound realistic? I've seen tons of properties online for less than that in decent locations, but I've also read forums that say they usually dont exist and they you cant really get an apt in Manhattan for less than 3k per month! I'll be earning around $90k, yet I'm worried that even then I wont be able to afford it!! Anyone have any advice?

p.s. I know it's crass to mention salary, but I really need some proper advice so I just need to be honest about everything.

Last edited by pejpm1; Nov 26th 2007 at 8:19 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:25 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving to NYC...help!!

Be careful that you don't get scammed. Here's some advice from the NY State Counsel's office:

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/cnsl/apthunt.html

Sorry I have no advice re; trying to rent an apartment without a credit rating in NYC. We had our bank (Lloyds) to write a statement on their headed paper stating that we were in 'good standing' with them and had bank statments going back for more than one year....got a credit card immediately with Chase (through their Worldwide Consumer Banking dept.) and a cheque book and ATM card. We set this up a few weeks before arriving in the US.

You may need to speak with HR re; references and financial backing or loan towards a deposit.

You should also consider Hoboken in New Jersey, just across the river Hudson from NYC and generally much cheaper to rent than New York. You can take the PATH subway trains, ferries or public bus into NYC. Loads of young (Brit) expats live in Hoboken and lots of pubs and restaurants there.

You can find NYC and Hoboken apts on Craigslist.org (there is a subsection on the New Jersey site for the NY metro area, this includes Hoboken and neighbouring Jersey City).

http://www.hobokeni.com (has property rental listings)
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NYC...help!!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Be careful that you don't get scammed. Here's some advice from the NY State Counsel's office:

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/cnsl/apthunt.html

Sorry I have no advice re; trying to rent an apartment without a credit rating in NYC. We had our bank (Lloyds) to write a statement on their headed paper stating that we were in 'good standing' with them and had bank statments going back for more than one year....got a credit card immediately with Chase (through their Worldwide Consumer Banking dept.) and a cheque book and ATM card. We set this up a few weeks before arriving in the US.

You may need to speak with HR re; references and financial backing or loan towards a deposit.

You should also consider Hoboken in New Jersey, just across the river Hudson from NYC and generally much cheaper to rent than New York. You can take the PATH subway trains, ferries or public bus into NYC. Loads of young (Brit) expats live in Hoboken and lots of pubs and restaurants there.

You can find NYC and Hoboken apts on Craigslist.org (there is a subsection on the New Jersey site for the NY metro area, this includes Hoboken and neighbouring Jersey City).

http://www.hobokeni.com (has property rental listings)

Thanks for that....I'm not really sure what answer I'm looking for...I suppose it;s just going to be pot luck isnt it? Some landlords might be ok with it, some might not...I'll just have to see what happens. I'm sure that my company may be able to help me out. They are putting me up in a corporate apt for a month so it's not like i'll be homeless if I dont find anything for a few weeks!

I've been told told that Hoboken is cool, and I have a couple of friends in NJ....but I think for my first time in NYC i should try and pay the extra and go for Manhattan if I can...maybe after the first year i could move a bit further out....I try and equate it to moving to London....if I were advising someone who was moving to London for the first time I would tell them to head for as close to central as they could afford...
Thanks for the response though....it's nice to know that help is out there! I'm probably not moving for a few months and I'm already scared!!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Worsel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I've just been told that my company is willing to bring me to NYC on an L1-B Visa. I am very excited by this, but I've started to look into it and I'm a bit worried already.....particularly with regards to apartment rental! Most websites say that you need a proven US credit history to be able to rent an apartment, but I dont have that. I have been working for my company for nearly 4 years, and can get them to write me a letter. I can also bring UK payslips and bank statements if nessecary. I read that some places will accept you, but would want 6 months rent up front. My budget is around $2500 per month so I cant really afford that....what options do I have? Is it possible to get some kind of credit report transfer? My girlfriend is a US citizen who lives in London with me, so she could get a credit report, but wont have earnings as she'll be looking for a job when we move. Is it likely that someone would take a combination of her credit report, with my earnings statements?

Also, I want to live in Manhattan or possibly Brooklyn. Does $2500 for a 1 bed sound realistic? I've seen tons of properties online for less than that in decent locations, but I've also read forums that say they usually dont exist and they you cant really get an apt in Manhattan for less than 3k per month! I'll be earning around $90k, yet I'm worried that even then I wont be able to afford it!! Anyone have any advice?

p.s. I know it's crass to mention salary, but I really need some proper advice so I just need to be honest about everything.
you'll be fine renting with a letter from your employer confirming your salary. that's all i had when we moved over here nearly 3 years ago.

$2.5k for a 1 bedroom in manhattan should be doable. you might want to consider a room mate though or taking a room in some-one's apartment for affordability reasons. if you're young, single and want to enjoy nyc, then you should deffo live in manhattan.

the likes of craigslist can work well. equally, a lot of the broker listed apartments are 'bait and switch' jobs where they promise you a 2 bedroom penthouse for $1k a week and when you call, guess what? that's just gone but they do have another similar one for you. if you can avoid using a broker than it is preferable because brokers will charge you 12-15% of the annual rent. ouch!

you can deal with some management companies directly and bypass the brokers - glenwood is one such company.

you need to think about what sort of a building you want / can afford. walk-ups are cheaper, with the higher floors often being best value for obvious reasons. doorman buildings are quality but expensive, and here higher floors cost more.

ask your company if they will pay the broker fee as part of the relocation. also, ask if you can get some time in nyc to find an apartment before you move out.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Worsel
you'll be fine renting with a letter from your employer confirming your salary. that's all i had when we moved over here nearly 3 years ago.

$2.5k for a 1 bedroom in manhattan should be doable. you might want to consider a room mate though or taking a room in some-one's apartment for affordability reasons. if you're young, single and want to enjoy nyc, then you should deffo live in manhattan.

the likes of craigslist can work well. equally, a lot of the broker listed apartments are 'bait and switch' jobs where they promise you a 2 bedroom penthouse for $1k a week and when you call, guess what? that's just gone but they do have another similar one for you. if you can avoid using a broker than it is preferable because brokers will charge you 12-15% of the annual rent. ouch!

you can deal with some management companies directly and bypass the brokers - glenwood is one such company.

you need to think about what sort of a building you want / can afford. walk-ups are cheaper, with the higher floors often being best value for obvious reasons. doorman buildings are quality but expensive, and here higher floors cost more.

ask your company if they will pay the broker fee as part of the relocation. also, ask if you can get some time in nyc to find an apartment before you move out.
Well, the $2.5k will only be all my expense until my gf gets a job (my gf will be moving with me, she's american and lives in london with me) so that should make it easier. I'm guessing it's like here with regards to rules and such.....what they say and what you actually need are different things.

Some of the ads are so obviously bate and switch....some of them are so ridiculous that they arent even worth looking at...$1500 for a midtown 1 bed as an example....

I was reading about dealing directly with a management company....that sounds good to me as I suppose it's like a happy medium between broker and going direct to a landlord....again, similar to London.

Hopefully I'm going to be heading out for a couple of weeks to work and also to meet with lawyers etc, but i dont think the l1b process is going to start until after my visit so it probably isnt worth even looking for apts...i guess I'll just try and get a feel for it and maybe arrange a couple of viewings to get an idea of what I'll get for my money.....

If i cant do manhattan, I Was thinking brooklyn heights or boreum hill (around atlantic/flatbush) as an alternative. I stayed there with a friend in may and i really enjoyed it....

edited to say: i just looked at the glenwood site.....a bit out of my price range I'm afraid!!!

Last edited by pejpm1; Nov 26th 2007 at 9:19 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Credit check is standard, but if you rent privately they usually won't bother with it...and if you go with a complex, letter from employer should help, that would perhaps joining a credit union that's work related might help.

Can't help you with costs, but things to look out for are the hidden things, will the place include parking and for how many cars? Will it include ploughing in the winter or is it zoned parking? How is the place heated? Oil/Electric/gas? What about the utilities, are they included or extra and if extra what choice do you have for providers?

Craigslist is a good spot to look for places, and if your on face book, the market section on that is also pretty good.

Edit: to add, dealing directly with the owner/complex management means you don't have to pay the finders fee to the agent which saves about a months rent or two, so that's some extra negitiating power...though your probably looking at first/last + month rent for deposit....can always be cheeky and ask your employer to stump for it as part of the relocation package and your golden if they say yes, happened with me. Oh and see if your employer will stump for hotel/storage/care rental for a while, 4-6 weeks should be good.

Last edited by Bob; Nov 26th 2007 at 10:22 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:16 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

When are you moving over? I have a friend who may still have a 1br on the Upper East Side well within your price range, but I found out about on Wednesday and it may be gone. 6 months from December 1st with option fro renewal. Let me know.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ridski
When are you moving over? I have a friend who may still have a 1br on the Upper East Side well within your price range, but I found out about on Wednesday and it may be gone. 6 months from December 1st with option fro renewal. Let me know.
thanks very much for the offer, but I wont be going for a while. I am going there for 2 weeks hopefully in dec, then once everything is approved my management the visa process will begin, plus I need to give 2 months notice on my flat so I dont imagine I'll be there before feb/march....
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:00 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There are some bait and switches, but there are a few places for cheap as well. A 1br in Midtown can be pretty small, and if it is sort of out of the way in a crappy building than that price isn't entirely unrealistic (i.e. next to a fire station perhaps?)

We had a place in Midtown--Carneige Mews at 56th and Broadway. It was great for work (my wife was about 5 blocks away) and close enough to Times Square and the Upper West Side (but not necessarily in the heart of either).

A few things I'd look for in Manhattan (if possible)

Grocery within 1-2 blocks
Drug store within 1-2 blocks.
2 different subway lines within 3 blocks (preferably one with an express stop)
Windows NOT facing major road (i.e. 57th, Broadway, 8th, etc). Basically, try to face a one way street (not a two way street).
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

grifforama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Don't be scared. Moving here is very exciting.
I moved here on a salary of $105, and was renting an apartment in the Lower East Side for $3200.
It's certainly do-able, but I would advise to not stretch your budget.
Craigslist is a good place to start, and there are certainly some good finds out there. We decided after our first year to move off the island and over to Long Island CIty, in Queens, one stop on the 7 from Manhattan.
It's cheaper, you get more for your money, it's a brand new development. I hear there are several in NJ as well.
If you can, try not to use a broker. They take between 12 and 15 percent of the YEARLY rental, and they are just NOT worth it.
If you send me a private message, I can send you a list of loads of management companies who will deal with you direct, and not take a broker fee.
Also, if you get shown an amazing place in a 5/6 floor walk up, don't do what we did and take it immediately thinking it's a bargain. Those stairs will pi$$ you off very quickly.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grifforama
Hi,

Don't be scared. Moving here is very exciting.
I moved here on a salary of $105, and was renting an apartment in the Lower East Side for $3200.
It's certainly do-able, but I would advise to not stretch your budget.
Craigslist is a good place to start, and there are certainly some good finds out there. We decided after our first year to move off the island and over to Long Island CIty, in Queens, one stop on the 7 from Manhattan.
It's cheaper, you get more for your money, it's a brand new development. I hear there are several in NJ as well.
If you can, try not to use a broker. They take between 12 and 15 percent of the YEARLY rental, and they are just NOT worth it.
If you send me a private message, I can send you a list of loads of management companies who will deal with you direct, and not take a broker fee.
Also, if you get shown an amazing place in a 5/6 floor walk up, don't do what we did and take it immediately thinking it's a bargain. Those stairs will pi$$ you off very quickly.
I hear you about moving to queens or somewhere where I'll get more for my money, but i think for the first year I'll try and live in manhattan just to get to know it a bit better....failing that I was thinking williamsburg or boerum hill in brooklyn.....I'm hoping 2.5k will be enough for an ok 1 bed. my gf and I are both resigned to the fact that we wont get anything anywhere near as big as our 1 bed here in clapham so we are going into it with our eyes open from that sense....we arent expecting much. We just need a 1 bed in a decent location. I'll be working on 6th ave opposite radio city, and I'll frequently be in the office for 6am so I want somewhere within 25mins of the office (just like I have here) so I dont need to get up too early!

I had kind of figured out the agent thing....some of the apts on the websites look great, but I cant imagine that it's worth paying that much for an agent to find it for me....if I'm going for somewhere at 2.5k per month, that means the agent would want 5.1k!! Thats insane!! Craiglist looks good....I'm not too worried. The company will put me up for 1 month in the city so I should be able to find something in that time...if not, I have a friend in NJ who says we can stay with him for a couple of weeks.....I'm getting really excited now. My work have said that they want me to come out for a couple of weeks so that I can get a feel for the office and look around the city....they mean well, but I've been to NY loads of times, I just want them to start the process and get me out there ASAP!!!!!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:48 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I also strongly recommend this site:

http://www.apartmentratings.com

It has reviews from tenants (and a few corporate shills you have to ignore) about different buildings. Before your rent, be sure to check it out.

This was our place in NY. It's very close to where are workings (10 minute walk). These prices are about what I recall:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...s-Pricing.html
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:58 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't help you with costs, but things to look out for are the hidden things, will the place include parking and for how many cars? Will it include ploughing in the winter or is it zoned parking? How is the place heated? Oil/Electric/gas? What about the utilities, are they included or extra and if extra what choice do you have for providers?
Apts in Manhattan will practically never include car parking. Zoned parking (on the street) doesn't exist, it's a free for all.

Heating and hot water are included by law. There are minimum temperatures to be maintained in winter at all times.

Utilities are usually the renter's responsibility, and you can use whatever company you like (although everyone seems to go with the monopolist, as electricity is so cheap).

$2500 is a fair amount, even for Manhattan. You'd get a nice place in BK for Boerum Hill for that. If you work downtown, the commute will be shorter from much of BK - there's no point in living on 586th St and having an hour commute just so you can live on Manhattan.

The credit rating isn't too much of a problem - lots of landlords do credit checks, but if you give them reasonable assurance that you have a good income, and offer to put down extra deposit (e.g. 2 months instead of 1), then you should be fine. NYC is used to immigrants.

Check out http://www.tenant.net/ too.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I also strongly recommend this site:

http://www.apartmentratings.com

It has reviews from tenants (and a few corporate shills you have to ignore) about different buildings. Before your rent, be sure to check it out.
But also take it with a pinch of salt because there are quite a few reviews from people who were pissed off and might have been kicked out for being arses...and also get posts from landlords singing praises as tenants...
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Apts in Manhattan will practically never include car parking. Zoned parking (on the street) doesn't exist, it's a free for all.
Zoned parking for snow removal?

That's what I meant, as you'd have to shift your car to certain areas between certain times or your car will be ploughed over or towed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.