Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC area with work...HELP!

Moving to NYC area with work...HELP!

Old Jul 16th 2012, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Ukbigm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to NYC area with work...HELP!

Hi
I am being asked by my employer if I am willing to move to the US. I will be travelling a lot and mainly working from home but makes sense to be in Greater New York area. This is because of customers and shorter flight for family as well as minimum time difference for family.
Because I am working from home my only requirement is within an hour of international airport. I have two kids aged 3 and 1 so family friendly is a must and not too crowded. Started looking at long island, Connecticut, and new jersey. So small search area! Any advice would be great, looking for 3 beds at least for $3000 per month at the absolute top end.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Brando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really niceBrando is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to NYC area with work...HELP!

May be worth your while looking at places around the Hudson Valley too.

I can't give a whole lot of suggestions, but I live in Orange County, 45 miles from NYC, close enough to Newark Airport. A lot of people round here commute into the city, and there are good train/bus links into the city too.
Def. family friendly places around here, and a lot of smaller towns and villages and lots of great countryside.

Rockland County, Westchester County might be worth looking at too. Rents be more expensive than Orange County though I'd think!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukbigm
Hi
I am being asked by my employer if I am willing to move to the US. I will be travelling a lot and mainly working from home but makes sense to be in Greater New York area. This is because of customers and shorter flight for family as well as minimum time difference for family.
Because I am working from home my only requirement is within an hour of international airport. I have two kids aged 3 and 1 so family friendly is a must and not too crowded. Started looking at long island, Connecticut, and new jersey. So small search area! Any advice would be great, looking for 3 beds at least for $3000 per month at the absolute top end.
to BE.

Take a look at posts/threads by Englishmum...she's posted several very informative posts/threads with excellent information about moving to New Jersey.

If you use the search engine and search the US forums for Connecticut/NJ/New York...you should be able to pull up all threads discussing those states. Give me a shout if you can't locate them.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

flights from Boston back to LHR are nearly 1 hour shorter than from NYC!
depends on where your customers are, of course. Access to NYC area airports can be horrendous in traffic.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:46 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidtheprof
flights from Boston back to LHR are nearly 1 hour shorter than from NYC!
depends on where your customers are, of course. Access to NYC area airports can be horrendous in traffic.
I was going to raise this point as well.

When you factor "time to airport" and whatnot, you can expand your reach to include other airports like Boston or even Dulles in Washington DC (Northern Virginia). If customers aren't "that big" of an issue, you could look at a few other cities that offer flights back to the UK. (I think Dulles has at least a half dozen flights a day). This would allow you to look in other areas, though probably as expensive but with a bit different type of lifestyle.

As for living in New Jersey, take a look at the search function for New Jersey and New York. There are dozens of threads that might answer some of your concerns and make some recommendations as NY is a frequently requested relocation area.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of work? Are the clients in NYC or just scattered around the burbs or the state?

Might be easier to use the train or a puddle jumper of a flight into NY if you're only occasionally needing to be there, that way you can be further out, but still a quick commute in. Would give you much better options for international flights at other airports too.

Not a big fan of Rhode Island, but the airport gets you around internally pretty well for quite cheap and there's the train, plus it's a short hop to Boston for international flights too. That $3K would go a hell of a lot further out there than NY/NJ hub, especially if you wanted a place with a garden etc.

Anyway, welcome to BE and good luck
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:05 am
Just Joined

I work for a company that sells software to television broadcasters. We have customers all over the Americas, as well as a head office back in the UK, hence the international travel.
My travel will be fairly regular and mainly US but not necessarily New York, although there are a number of broadcasters there.
Atlanta is another hub of customers but I want to keep my distance at a minimum so that 'grandparents' are not put off the journey too much from the UK.
I would like a small town feel with things for the kids to do but also a fairly easy trip to NYC where we do have an office i can use and my wife loves it!!!!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I live in rural NJ...30 miles due west of Manhattan. It takes me 20 minutes to drive to Newark Airport...45 mins on a good day to drive into NYC. I can fly into Manchester direct from Newark (there are hardly any direct flights to MAN from other east coast airports)...the flight usually takes 6.5 hours.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I live in rural NJ...30 miles due west of Manhattan. It takes me 20 minutes to drive to Newark Airport...45 mins on a good day to drive into NYC. I can fly into Manchester direct from Newark (there are hardly any direct flights to MAN from other east coast airports)...the flight usually takes 6.5 hours.
Thanks
I keep coming back to NJ due west of NYC. Newark seems to be the most accessible airport so ticks that box.
I also notice from your tagline you are from Yorkshire. I used to live in Huddersfield. And I am sure based on that background you won't be spending more money than you absolutely need to!

I could do with a list of places that are family oriented around there if its at all possible....
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ukbigm
Thanks
I keep coming back to NJ due west of NYC. Newark seems to be the most accessible airport so ticks that box.
I also notice from your tagline you are from Yorkshire. I used to live in Huddersfield. And I am sure based on that background you won't be spending more money than you absolutely need to!

I could do with a list of places that are family oriented around there if its at all possible....
I'm from Sheffield...but lived in Chester for many years before moving here in 1996.

I'm in Morris County...a 60 min train ride into NYC. Englishmum lives about 15 miles away from me...she is nearer to NYC. I think most towns are family orientated. Kids tend not to play outdoors here...instead they have organised activities. Athletics in schools is huge...often placing more emphasis on it than English and maths. For adults it can be difficult to make friends...acquaintances yes but true friends can be difficult to find. IMO this is mostly because most couples work full time...and weekends are often spent with their own family members.

My daughter was 11 when we moved to the US...so I can't help you regarding stuff to do with very young children. Children start school later here...therefore there are plenty of private day care facilities but I don't know how easy it is to get a place.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 17th 2012 at 3:15 pm.