Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC - any international removal co recommendations?

Moving to NYC - any international removal co recommendations?

Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

winterbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to NYC - any international removal co recommendations?

Hi,

We will be moving to NYC from London in October. Just got our visas sorted this month. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for international removal companies? And how long does it usually take? Any hidden costs or things I should be aware of?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to NYC - any international removal co recommendations?

My husband has been researching shipping companies, we're moving to Connecticut later on this year. We're probably getting a 20ft container which takes about a month on a boat and is delivered door to door. Prices I'm not sure, I can post a link when my husband gets home.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Have a search of the forums....plenty of threads on the subject about what to look out for and recommendations.

Plenty of potential hidden costs and plenty of dodgy companies. It boils down to who is contracted to do the work on the other end, so movingscam.com is worth checking out.

Also some of the costs will depend on where you move to, some areas of NYC for instance you can't have a large truck so they might have to transfer stuff to a smaller truck and deliver in a couple of loads, that will add to the cost, as will having to climb more than a few flights of stairs etc.

How long it takes, anything from 4-12 weeks, depends on customs, if you have a container to yourself or share one, what stuff you've listed, and whatever customs feel like at that particular moment in time, and if they have to do x-rays that will add time and cost.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

SalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really nice

An ex-colleague emigrated to Australia last summer, and knowing that I might be contemplating a move to Louisiana, I gathered as much info as possible.

She had several companies visit her home, where she interviewed them in depth, to describe her as a control freak and a perfectionist probably isn't unfair.

She chose a company called Crown Relocations, despite them being a little more expensive. She recommended them to me because:

1. They don't sub-contract the international end, they own the whole process.
2. They gave her very good advice about what to take and leave.
3. She felt comfortable enough to let them do her packing.
4. She had no problems with them.

I'm getting Crown in for my move, when it finally happens. If they're good enough for her then they're plenty good enough for a pragmatist like me.

Good luck with your move,

Sal
Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies. Very helpful. I'll check the movingscam.com website, too.

I will check out Crown, I've heard of them before. Since the company in US will be paying for our relocation cost, I'd rather find a one with good record and reputation, even if it means more expensive.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:46 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Where in NYC? I live in Manhattan. Feel free to PM me with any questions about NYC. I was born in NYC and raised not far outside and have lived in the City for over 20 years so I know it very well. I am not familiar with shipping companies but I am familiar with several moving companies in NYC. I know some good ones as well as some to stay away from in case you need to use a different one on this end from the one you ship things over with. You can also contact the Better Business Bureau and The Depatment of Consumer affairs to see if any companies you are considering have any complaints and/or violations against them.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your offer! We haven't done house-hunting yet, but likely to look for something in Midtown East/Murray Hill area and do reverse commute to CT. I might PM you with questions about renting apartment in NYC then
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:07 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winterbird
Thanks for your offer! We haven't done house-hunting yet, but likely to look for something in Midtown East/Murray Hill area and do reverse commute to CT. I might PM you with questions about renting apartment in NYC then
Feel free to PM me for any info about NYC. I used to work in real estate and have a friend who still does. Do you want to live in Midtown East/Murray Hill because it would be near Grand Central if you do reverse commute? Rents have come down tremendously. A friend of mine just got a 3 bedroom on the Upper East side for $2500 ! Also it's very easy to find a no fee apartment now as well! The landords will pay the Real Estate agency to help them rent out the apartment instead of the tenant paying the fee.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

maidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nice

Hi,
I have short listed between Doree Bonner and Anglo Pacific for our move to California. I ahve seen some good refrences about both. Does anybody have any negative experiences about either? If so, Please share them.
Thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

I haven't heard back from Crown. Just filled in a online evaluation form.

I got a quote from Anglo-Pacific, they are about £500 more expensive than the other two quotes I got (European Van Lines and 1st Move international) and seem eager to get my business with follow-up call etc. So I am interested to hear if anyone has used them before.

I am not pursuing the first two as I haven't read any favourable comments about them, nothing negative though either though.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

EmVee is an unknown quantity at this point

I am using Anglo-Pacific - admittedly they aren't due to pick up til Monday so can't comment on how smooth the process is - but have been impressed so far.

Nice man from the company emails / phones regularly will general reassuring messages (they already have my business so it's not a hard sell), and they sent over loads of brochures and CD Roms about things to sort before you leave which I found useful. But I am lucky in that they are moving me from Manchester (where they have an office) so know all the issues about access to my apartment etc.

Obviously, if they lose my stuff or I have to wait months for it then I might change my opinion - but have been impressed so far (tempting fate, perhaps?)

Am just sorry I am not accompanying my stuff on the 33 day vogue to the port of LA via Barbados and the Panama Canal. Sounds way more fun than T5 at Heathrow.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

maidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nicemaidenheadmom is just really nice

Thanks! Em Vee! Good luck with your move!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Cheers.

If all my worldly belongings end up in the bottom of the Atlantic you won't need BE to hear my screams of despair - they'll be loud and clear across the pond...

Good luck with your move too!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Good luck with your move Em Vee

I just heard from Crown today, they asked me for more details before they give me a quote, apparently, they will include a quote for the insurance as well. Seems quite friendly and professional, so far.

I'm likely to choose between Anglo-Pacific and Crown, unless Crown returns with a really expensive quote...

Crown also asked if my move is sponsored by any company, they do lots of company employee relocations.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Good luck too.

i'm now starting to think I might have tempted fate - its all been too easy so far.

Though having to write a list of every single item I am taking was a bit arduous but at least I'll know what I've lost if the boat sinks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.