Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC

Moving to NYC

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to NYC

Hi Group,

I've been reading this forum for a few days and it looks like you are great bunch to ask for help.

I've been given the chance of moving to NYC with my job. I have a wife, 2 girls (11 and 15), 2 dogs and a tortoise.

We are right at the beginning of thinking where would we live and looking to get help and advise.

My girls are into their dancing so we may want to live in the suburbs so they can apply for the performing arts school. My wife is into her house so wants to live outside of the city so she can get 4 beds and 2 baths.

I can work from home and will come into Manhattan a couple of times per week.

My company have not discussed a relocation package so I need to list my requirements such as help with rent, moving costs, health insurance etc.

Any help that you can give us would be greatly appreciated. We are over in 2 weeks time to check out schools and houses.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NYC

Originally Posted by moving2nyc View Post
Hi Group,

I've been reading this forum for a few days and it looks like you are great bunch to ask for help.

I've been given the chance of moving to NYC with my job. I have a wife, 2 girls (11 and 15), 2 dogs and a tortoise.

We are right at the beginning of thinking where would we live and looking to get help and advise.

My girls are into their dancing so we may want to live in the suburbs so they can apply for the performing arts school. My wife is into her house so wants to live outside of the city so she can get 4 beds and 2 baths.

My company have not discussed a relocation package so I need to list my requirements such as help with rent, moving costs, health insurance etc.

Any help that you can give us would be greatly appreciated. We are over in 2 weeks time to check out schools and houses.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Sorry I can't give specific information but there are loads of threads if you use the search function. I know experts will provide you with details on package etc but this has been discussed heaps before.

Anyway, I just wanted to say congratulations and the fun begins I guess. All the best.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:25 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving to NYC

Hi Group,

Thanks in advance

Mike

As the p/p mentioned, this question comes up all the time so there's loads of info on BE!

Consider checking out the New Jersey suburbs.....most are very leafy and like living in Surrey in many parts. I live in the township of Millburn (Short Hills section) which has the #1 public school district in New Jersey with 'Blue Ribbon' schools. Kids can only go to schools in the towns in which they live with the exception of some special needs pupils. It's only 10 miles (15-20 mins via Interstate RT 78) to Newark International airport.

Our town is on the 'Midtown-Direct' train line (but trains also go to Hoboken with PATH underground trains and ferry services across the Hudson river to lower Manhatten for the financial district. There are express trains in peak hours. In non-peak hours it takes about 45 mins to Penn Station (underneath Madison Square Garden). We are on the Morris-Essex line.

There is the SOPAC - South Orange Performing Arts Centre within a 10 min drive and South Orange and Maplewood (a lovely leafy town but school district not as good as in Millburn next door) and these towns are also on the Midtown Direct. Many people working in the arts and media live in Maplewood and its 'twin town' of South Orange. Going further west and a slightly longer commute are other suburban towns such as Summit, Chatham, Madison.

Some info:

http://www.millburn.org/

http://twp.millburn.nj.us/

http://www.sopacnow.org/education

http://www.sopacnow.org/education/ly...-dance-classes (Home Page: http://www.sopacnow.org) - there are other dance schools in the area but I know nothing about them

http://www.maplewoodonline.com

Public transport in NJ:

http://www.njtransit.com

Housing/Rentals, check out Coldwell Banker, Weichert, Prudential New Jersey. (Millburn, South Orange, Maplewood all in Essex County. Summit is in Union County. Chatham and Madison are in Morris County). You might also like the pretty town of Westfield (but need to change trains to get into NYC) in Union County.

Montclair is also a commuter town for the NY metro area in NJ, very expensive but I don't know much about their arts scene, although it has a state university there.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Group,

What's going to be your pathway to a green card? If it is one of the ways that can take years (possible) then are you ok with this and in particular, the risk that your older daughter may "age out" of eligibility.

If you go back to Britain after a few years, are you aware of the three year residence rule for university "home student fees"?

This gives you some idea of the issues.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving to NYC

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
What's going to be your pathway to a green card? If it is one of the ways that can take years (possible) then are you ok with this and in particular, the risk that your older daughter may "age out" of eligibility.

If you go back to Britain after a few years, are you aware of the three year residence rule for university "home student fees"?

This gives you some idea of the issues.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia

Where does he say that he wants to get a green card?

I'm assuming it's a bog-standard 2 to 3 year expat posting on a non-immigrant L1 and L2 visas; this wouldn't affect the residence rule for 'home student' fees if he retains ties to the UK eg. rents his UK house out.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum View Post
Where does he say that he wants to get a green card?

I'm assuming it's a bog-standard 2 to 3 year expat posting on a non-immigrant L1 and L2 visas; this wouldn't affect the residence rule for 'home student' fees if he retains ties to the UK eg. rents his UK house out.

He doesn't say. Which means he could be one of the many who don't even think about these issues until much later.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Both,

Thanks for replying to my post. The lawyers are applying for an L1a for me which I think means I can apply for a green card right away?

Due to my daughters ages ideally we like to stay for them to finish school so if everything works out we are here for the duration. Having said that, if my wife misses home we would be heading back to blighty ASAP.

JAJ, I checked your link but it refers to UK to Aus and not UK to US. Therefore I couldn't find out what you meant "your daughter may "age out" of eligibility"

Thanks

Mike
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

Hi Both,

Thanks for replying to my post. The lawyers are applying for an L1a for me which I think means I can apply for a green card right away?
Possibly. If you also qualify for first preference green card (most of those on L1A do) then it should not take too long but nothing is guaranteed. Will your employer sponsor you for green card immediately? (some won't).

JAJ, I checked your link but it refers to UK to Aus and not UK to US.
Don't you think some of the issues are similar?

Therefore I couldn't find out what you meant "your daughter may "age out" of eligibility"
It means that if you wait too long she will not longer be able to get one if you do.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 9:45 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Search the forums, plenty of recent threads about relocation packages, what to ask and what to understand.

Main one is medical insurance, all the details like coverage, co-pay, deductibles, limits, HMO v PPO.

Holiday allowance, inclusive of public holidays and sick leave or not? etc.