Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NY: two teens year 10 and year 8

Moving to NY: two teens year 10 and year 8

Old Dec 9th 2020, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NY: two teens year 10 and year 8

Originally Posted by civilservant
The clue for me that the expectations are unrealistic here is the 'start early 2021' statement - because this is very unlikely to happen. The OP clearly hasn't worked for the company, so it isn't an L, and unless it's cap exempt it isn't an H either, not with that timeframe.

That leaves the O's and a few rare birds.

OP, please do come back when you have more information, because you have peaked our curiosity.
I agree that even with an L-1 visa application, "early 2021" is likely unrealistic, at least Q1.

That said, I don't see from her posts that the OP hasn't worked for the company. Internal interviews would usually be expected for an intra-company transfer.

Marenza, it does sound like you don't understand how many things work yet. Some questions for you:
- Do you or your husband have US citizenship?
- If not, what visa is the employer expecting to apply for?
- Is this a company internal transfer (could be L-1 visa)?
- Only certain visas will allow your husband to work while living in the US, even if he is working for a UK employer, and even those that do may mean he has to stop work while he waits for his employment authorization (EAD).
- If you can get past that hurdle, read the education wiki linked above. If possible, move your kids during the summer break, and bear in mind that most US schools start their school year in mid- to late-August, but that, like many variations across the US, depends on state laws, on the school district, or on the school. Graduating high school requires credits for many different subjects, and trying to transfer credits can be incredibly frustrating. It was hard enough for moving from Texas to Alaska.

Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Miles Ramsell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to NY: two teens year 10 and year 8

That sounds like a great adventure for you and your family. Making the move 5 years ago from Southampton to Atlanta was the best thing I ever did, however my visa was the I-130 through a family member. It took over 8 years for my visa to be processed but looking back it was worth every moment!!
I hope you manage to achieve the great feat which is emigrating to the US, they say it’s one of the hardest countries to legally emigrate to and I would agree!

<< SNIP>>>

good luck with it all and remember, you will get people saying it’s impossible or no way of happening but keep pushing until you have a definitive no.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 6th 2021 at 3:25 pm. Reason: See following posts