British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to NJ, where to start?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-nj-where-start-723993/)

Lornie Jul 7th 2011 2:53 pm

Moving to NJ, where to start?!

Hi :)

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, hope you can help! :fingerscrossed:

My husband has accepted a new job in Madison NJ, we are currently going through the Visa process, and hope to be making the move a bit later in the year.

I really would love some advise as to property and cars when we first arrive. As we will not have social security numbers at this point, can anyone recommend what is the best thing to do?

Would it be best to rent a car as a tourist? That way insurance is included? If we were to buy a car, can we do this by using our UK credit card?

Also, to rent property when we arrive, can this be arranged from the UK? Can we make deposit payments with our credit card? Is it usual to be able to get short term rentals?

Any early advise you can give would be great, I really don't know where to start!

MoshiMoshi Jul 7th 2011 3:52 pm

Re: Moving to NJ, where to start?!

Originally Posted by Lornie (Post 9481251)

Also, to rent property when we arrive, can this be arranged from the UK? Can we make deposit payments with our credit card? Is it usual to be able to get short term rentals?

Hi Lornie, welcome!

I moved to CA last year, and arranged rental accommodation prior to arriving. I don't know if it'll be the same situation in NJ, but the main hurdle with getting an apartment here was that many apartment owners weren't used to dealing with people who are overseas:

- apartment owners are used to doing stuff in person. 'Come on round and have a look and then we'll do the paperwork' was what they'd always say when I phoned... from Germany.

- if you don't have a social security number, you'll probably have to pay a larger deposit, and they might even be reluctant to deal with you.

- first month's rent and the deposit needed to be paid by a US check or money order, which is difficult/impossible when you don't have a US bank account.

But the good news is this was all surmountable. I phoned loads of places and eventually found one that worked for us. When we arrived in CA, we came straight from the airport to our new flat, and paid the deposit/rent there and then by UK credit card; we got a 6 month lease.

Best advice is to phone apartment owners or rental companies rather than email. Then you can chat about your situation and there's more scope to negotiate a set-up that's right for you.

But maybe your company will help out with accommodation, at least in the first few months? It's always going to be better if you can actually see an apartment before you rent it. (And, obviously, be incredibly cautious about paying any money in advance.) The main reason I sorted mine out whilst still overseas was that I arrived with two cats and wanted the minimum of faffing! Nearly a year on, we're still in the same place, so arranging a rental from overseas did work out for us.

Good luck!

Bob Jul 7th 2011 7:17 pm

Welcome to BE!

Though I'd recommend reading through the forums, especially as quite a few of your questions have been answered in threads within the first couple of pages, especially relating to NJ.

The wiki is also a great place to get more answers, the car thing, credit, all that stuff.

If it's a job related move, read the relocation thread in the wiki, it'll give you an idea of what things to ask for in the package even as a new hire. They should be putting you up for a while to find a place and get squared away.

I wouldn't rent sight unseen, be mental to do that, especially in a snowy state.

Plenty of short term corporate rentals, but they tend to be really expensive...touristy places can get short terms too...but most places want 12 months, but you might find sublets etc.

Jerseygirl Jul 7th 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lornie (Post 9481251)

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, hope you can help! :fingerscrossed:

My husband has accepted a new job in Madison NJ, we are currently going through the Visa process, and hope to be making the move a bit later in the year.

I really would love some advise as to property and cars when we first arrive. As we will not have social security numbers at this point, can anyone recommend what is the best thing to do?

Would it be best to rent a car as a tourist? That way insurance is included? If we were to buy a car, can we do this by using our UK credit card?

Any early advise you can give would be great, I really don't know where to start!

Make sure that your husband's healthcare insurance kicks in the day you land...some have a 3 month waiting period. I would not want to be in the US for 1 day without healthcare insurance.