Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to New York

Wikiposts

Moving to New York

Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New York

Originally Posted by noxreallyxhonest
Hey, congrats on the H1-B, good luck with everything.
I never had a UK license so therefore do not have a US license but i've never had any problems with any ID issues.
I am kind of surprised about tht's experience at HSBC though....
i went there as i had been a customer with them for over 10 years and figured that would help me out.... it didn't, i needed all kinds of paperwork, including proof of address which i didn't have at the time, as i was staying with a friend before i found my own place, which i pretty much needed to have a bank account in order to get a place to eventually pay 6 months rent up front (non cash) plus brokers fee..... it was a catch 22, but i eventually found a place with a landlord (albeit a dodgy landlord) who gave me a signed lease agreement which HSBC eventually accepted as proof of address. They also said that they definitely couldn't access/look at/use in any way my UK checking and savings account... maybe it depends on the branch you go to....
I eventually ended up switching to Chase after they sent a promo about giving me $100 for opening an account.
It upset me that i had to pay for cheques, which is the only way i can pay rent, and pay for my dr's co-pay, which i think is terribly archaic... i thought cheques were supposed to be being phased out!!!
In many ways banking with Chase is like banking in the Middle Ages...saying that we're still with them almost 15 years on.

I remember once a member of their staff asking me if I paid bank charges...my answer was 'If I did I wouldn't be banking with you'...all I got was a blank expression.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

the good news on the US drivers license front is that its ridiculously easy. It's absolutely trivial. I almost laughed when he told me I'd passed..I'd been in the car for about 7mins.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
the good news on the US drivers license front is that its ridiculously easy. It's absolutely trivial. I almost laughed when he told me I'd passed..I'd been in the car for about 7mins.
California’s license test is a joke too! Monkeys can pass that…..coming from Australia, the tests here are a breeze. Incidentally, I find the written tests harder (relatively). May be not harder but some of the questions/rules are rather confusing! But anyway…good luck and well done
Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noxreallyxhonest
Hey, congrats on the H1-B, good luck with everything.
I never had a UK license so therefore do not have a US license but i've never had any problems with any ID issues.
I am kind of surprised about tht's experience at HSBC though....
i went there as i had been a customer with them for over 10 years and figured that would help me out.... it didn't, i needed all kinds of paperwork, including proof of address which i didn't have at the time, as i was staying with a friend before i found my own place, which i pretty much needed to have a bank account in order to get a place to eventually pay 6 months rent up front (non cash) plus brokers fee..... it was a catch 22, but i eventually found a place with a landlord (albeit a dodgy landlord) who gave me a signed lease agreement which HSBC eventually accepted as proof of address. They also said that they definitely couldn't access/look at/use in any way my UK checking and savings account... maybe it depends on the branch you go to....
I eventually ended up switching to Chase after they sent a promo about giving me $100 for opening an account.
It upset me that i had to pay for cheques, which is the only way i can pay rent, and pay for my dr's co-pay, which i think is terribly archaic... i thought cheques were supposed to be being phased out!!!
You need a premier account, which has a lot of cash in it.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

jon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to all

I've lived in Brooklyn for 10 years and never needed a car.