Reload this Page >

Moving to New York????

Moving to New York????

Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

ieu84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Moving to New York????

Hi everyone,

This is pretty much a call for help. I am sure there are a million other chancers like me but I am sure I want to give it a go.

I am a 23 year old Sales and Marketing Executive in the UK and have a degree in Business and Management....however I am aware this does not make me unique or indeed overly employable in New York City. ....and I am aware that I probably won't find a like-for-like job over there, I am willing to work as hard as it takes.

I have researched extensively the Visa process and how to apply for jobs, but whilst the Visa and Green Card process appears confusing, the job search seems almost impossible for anyone who currently lives outside the US.

Can anyone give me any advice of any kid whatsoever, regarding my next step whether it be Visa or Job searching?

Many thanks

Ieu
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New York????

Originally Posted by ieu84
Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me any advice of any kid

Many thanks

Ieu

There's a Kid living here ... and a few round the corner

Seriously though ! ....... If you havn't got a job thats quite important or have no green card or very close relative here I don't think you have much chance of doing this
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Cheers patrick,

I am aware of this, hence the whole thread. Does anyone know how I go about getting a job?

links? numbers? ideas? cheers
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

This is pretty much a call for help. I am sure there are a million other chancers like me but I am sure I want to give it a go.

I am a 23 year old Sales and Marketing Executive in the UK and have a degree in Business and Management....however I am aware this does not make me unique or indeed overly employable in New York City. ....and I am aware that I probably won't find a like-for-like job over there, I am willing to work as hard as it takes.

I have researched extensively the Visa process and how to apply for jobs, but whilst the Visa and Green Card process appears confusing, the job search seems almost impossible for anyone who currently lives outside the US.

Can anyone give me any advice of any kid whatsoever, regarding my next step whether it be Visa or Job searching?

Many thanks

Ieu
Get a job in the UK with a company that has an office in New York and then get them to transfer you (after a minimum of one year).

or

Marry a US citizen.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a job with a UK employer that has an office in NYC and then ask to be transferred. I'm moving out there in April, and I'm basically an IT support guy (albeit with in depth knowledge of my company) with no degree or education beyond my 3 d's at A-Level!!

I know it's not what you want to hear, but what you are asking is basically impossible. You arent going to get an H1B based on what you do now.

You mention that you are only 23 but with a uni degree? Well you could always check out the Mountbatten programme. It's no guarantee of anything longterm, but it could be a foot in the door...

http://www.mountbatten.org/mipweb.nsf/pages/ny_about_us
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Cheers guys,

Thanks, I kind of knew the answer I was just hoping there were others out there who just went over on a temp Visa and worked for a year or two who went to try their luck and found work upon arrival or a temporary placement before they went.

Been a great help.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys,

Thanks, I kind of knew the answer I was just hoping there were others out there who just went over on a temp Visa and worked for a year or two who went to try their luck and found work upon arrival or a temporary placement before they went.

Been a great help.
No problem. good luck, if you really want it you can make it work. I'm only 25, I've been with my current firm for 4 years. A few months back I went for another job within the firm (in london), was told that I had the job, and then got knocked back by senior management at the last minute...I was devestated and really didnt know what to do....then all of a sudden this opportunity came up! Persevere, and if you really want to do it try and find a company with an NY office. The important thing is to do it properly...it may be tempting to just head over on a holiday vwp and try and find work or work temporarily, but that'll be illegal. All it takes is one overstay and you might wreck your chances of every getting a visa. I dont wish to sound like a do-gooder, I dont care what anyone else does, but if you are serious make sure you do it properly.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:05 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys,

Been a great help.
You've been very good natured in the thread... so I'll try to be too.

You say you've "researched extensively the visa process", but you clearly haven't. There are very few employment-based visas, and none of them would allow you to come over here on the VWP, miraculously find an employer to sponsor you, get the visa and then work. In other words, even if you could find a job over here, your chances of getting a visa to allow you to do that job are slim to none.

If you intend to pursue employment in the US in future (right now you've been given your options in this thread already) then I suggest you actually research the visa process. You can start right HERE.

Good luck!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You've been very good natured in the thread... so I'll try to be too.
I dont quite understand why you would you need to 'try' to be good natured...it's obvious that this guy hasnt looked into the visa situation in depth, but then you've taken the time out to tell him what everyone has already told him. That doesnt really make sense to me...
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

well yes, my sentiments exactly, i was just looking for some friendly help. Not sure why its an effort to be good natured. I wasn't tryng to take away anything from those who had gone the more established routes.

I have looked at the Visa situation, but as has been pointed out, clearly not in enough depths. I am aware of the different types of visa available and your point about the chances of being able to get a companty to sponsor a visa whilst I am out there being slim to none are valid and I have taken it on board. thanks.

also thanks for counting to ten before you wrote that post, it must have been very difficult to give advice to someone without getting angry about their naivty.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

If I was you I would do it the marriage route.

There are often such opportunities listed at Craigslist - try posting an ad there.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

haha,

does seem the easiest route. I am quite the catch, and ive got no money to lose anyway so no way will i get 'heather mills'ed' either!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I dont quite understand why you would you need to 'try' to be good natured...it's obvious that this guy hasnt looked into the visa situation in depth, but then you've taken the time out to tell him what everyone has already told him. That doesnt really make sense to me...
Another Newbie ..!!
When you have been around here a while you do tend to see
every day the : I went to Orlando for two weeks and want to
move there posts ..

or the: Im 21.. I have researched all the visa and I want a O visa
how do I get it ..

The OP was better than most... Hence good natured replies
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray
Another Newbie ..!!
When you have been around here a while you do tend to see
every day the : I went to Orlando for two weeks and want to
move there posts ..

or the: Im 21.. I have researched all the visa and I want a O visa
how do I get it ..

The OP was better than most... Hence good natured replies
I understand that...I've only been posting here for a while and I can already see that people post here everyday with the same questions. If it bothers you that much, why bother replying? I can understand if it was someone like that dickhead a while back who apparently owned a million dollar property company but was asking an online forum for tax advice and kept coming back with his stupid questions, but you arent going to stop people asking....I just dont get why it's a problem.

Last edited by pejpm1; Feb 18th 2008 at 12:57 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I understand that...I've only been posting here for a while and I can already see that people post here everyday with the same questions. If it bothers you that much, why bother replying? I can understand if it was someone like that dickhead a while back who apparently owned a million dollar property company but was asking an online forum for tax advice and kept coming back with his stupid questions, but you arent going to stop people asking....I just dont get why it's a problem.
Its not a problem ...

just some people.. some days ..it wears them down ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.