Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Jersey this summer

Moving to New Jersey this summer

Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Ruthie_S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to New Jersey this summer

Hello! We are moving from London to NJ this summer, hopefully in time to find a rental home and get the kids registered in school before the start of the new school year. My husband's job will be in New Providence and we are looking at schools and neighbourhoods in the surrounding areas. Does anyone have any advice or experience of schools and towns we should look at? We want to be in a family-oriented neighbourhood with lots of opportunities to make new friends for both us and the kids, and fundamentally we are looking for good public schools. Any advice much appreciated!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to New Jersey this summer

Originally Posted by Ruthie_S View Post
Hello! We are moving from London to NJ this summer, hopefully in time to find a rental home and get the kids registered in school before the start of the new school year. My husband's job will be in New Providence and we are looking at schools and neighbourhoods in the surrounding areas. Does anyone have any advice or experience of schools and towns we should look at? We want to be in a family-oriented neighbourhood with lots of opportunities to make new friends for both us and the kids, and fundamentally we are looking for good public schools. Any advice much appreciated!
Ruthie HI.

I made the move from London to New Providence about 11 years ago and trust me it will be a culture shock. New Providence is still a dry town (in that it has no licensed bars or restaurants). There is no town centre and the train stations are weirdly situated.

You have Berkeley Heights or Summit neighbouring that are much better options both to live and for things to do (and better schools).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and I look forward to welcoming you folks in person in the summer. (now curoius as to who your husband works for...lol)
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:29 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ruthie, welcome. I have no advice about NJ but wanted to let you know that until you have made three posts on the board you won't be able to use the Private Message (PM) function. But after that, you will be able to.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruthie_S View Post
Hi...welcome to BE.

There are loads of threads about NJ. Try searching for them using the search engine located in the pink bar at the top of the page. Also lots of good information and advice about NJ in Englishmum's posts...she is also located nearby.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE, good luck!

Definitely search out Englishmum's posts as she has provided loads of valuable info in the past. Also worth checking out city-data.com for info in specific areas and in numerous threads you'll see a couple links to school rating sites that'll be worth checking out to find which streets are attached to which decent schools etc.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Ruthie_S is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your helpful responses, I will do some searching on the old threads like you suggest