Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Jersey and need opinions....

Moving to New Jersey and need opinions....

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Jersey and need opinions....

I been travelling quite a bit recently and had the chance to visit central Montclair the other day. It was pretty plush I have to say - nice walkable downtown, lots of mansions and there is a park up on the hill with an awesome view of the NYC skyline. Downside - looks expensive and property taxes are through the roof.

I also visited Newark which seemed like an absolute shytehole and has had a severe beating with the ugly stick - though in fairness some of the locals said it's reputation is undeserved and that the Portuguese resteraunts are good.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Mar 2nd 2011 at 3:37 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Foley Roader is an unknown quantity at this point

Coming in a bit late to this thread so you might have made your decision but we moved to Summit last August and couldn't be happier, it's a great place to live for us. We come from a Surrey town and I'd say it was similar but more upscale with less crime, better schools, better services, less social issues, no grafitti etc etc, you do pay for all this niceness through ridiculous taxes however, think 10 times your council tax ...ouch!

A few advantages, it has a great walkable downtown, not a strip like a lot of Nj towns, great schools and really friendly people. We're looking to buy soon and have decided to stay in Summit having experienced all the nearby towns(Milburn, short hills, Chatham) All the towns round this area are lovely however , they all have a much more community feel that the equivalent in the UK.

If you are looking for a more urban town feel Montclair is a good bet, better
nightlife etc if that's your thing, but with that comes a rougher feel and the schools are more hit and miss.

On schools we found that the greatschools website to be pretty accurate in the ratings so if you find a 10 out of 10 school it'll be very good.

Enjoy looking and good luck, if you move to the area feel free to pm me with any questions.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Haynesk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foley Roader
Coming in a bit late to this thread so you might have made your decision but we moved to Summit last August and couldn't be happier, it's a great place to live for us. We come from a Surrey town and I'd say it was similar but more upscale with less crime, better schools, better services, less social issues, no grafitti etc etc, you do pay for all this niceness through ridiculous taxes however, think 10 times your council tax ...ouch!

A few advantages, it has a great walkable downtown, not a strip like a lot of Nj towns, great schools and really friendly people. We're looking to buy soon and have decided to stay in Summit having experienced all the nearby towns(Milburn, short hills, Chatham) All the towns round this area are lovely however , they all have a much more community feel that the equivalent in the UK.

If you are looking for a more urban town feel Montclair is a good bet, better
nightlife etc if that's your thing, but with that comes a rougher feel and the schools are more hit and miss.

On schools we found that the greatschools website to be pretty accurate in the ratings so if you find a 10 out of 10 school it'll be very good.

Enjoy looking and good luck, if you move to the area feel free to pm me with any questions.
Thank you very much for that!

We are moving beginning of August. My husband and I are coming over on the 5th of May.
I cannot believe how quickly this has all happened., ANd just really feel the pressure of making the right decisions on where to live!
I ahve looked at the great school website, so thanks for that. Good to know the scorings are accurate.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by Haynesk
Thank you very much for that!

We are moving beginning of August. My husband and I are coming over on the 5th of May.
I cannot believe how quickly this has all happened., ANd just really feel the pressure of making the right decisions on where to live!
I ahve looked at the great school website, so thanks for that. Good to know the scorings are accurate.

I am living in Summit again on my return to the USA. I have lived in Manhattan as well as a few places in NJ. For me though Summit has it all, great town, great transport connections and a great vibe. The only thing that Montclair has over Summit for me is the London Food Company thats always good for twiglets and other British snacks.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I am more than happy to help where I can. I have a step daughter and a son in the Summit education system and they are both doing great.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 3:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving to New Jersey and need opinions....

Originally Posted by njmackem

The only thing that Montclair has over Summit for me is the London Food Company thats always good for twiglets and other British snacks.
When I went to Raymond's in Church Street for brunch recently I was going to call in at the London Food Company: however they are no longer there. TBH they were very overpriced.

An alternative is 'Gary's' wine shop in Madison (they have Walker's crisps, Quavers etc.) and the international aisles at the 'Super Shop & Stop' supermarket next door. Actually I might call in at Gary's today to see if they have any Easter eggs.....

BTW the weather is awful here today in northern NJ, very wet and cool, indeed it's been a very cold Spring.

Best bet for the O/P is to get a realtor to drive them around Millburn & Summit.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishmum
When I went to Raymond's in Church Street for brunch recently I was going to call in at the London Food Company: however they are no longer there. TBH they were very overpriced.

An alternative is 'Gary's' wine shop in Madison (they have Walker's crisps, Quavers etc.) and the international aisles at the 'Super Shop & Stop' supermarket next door. Actually I might call in at Gary's today to see if they have any Easter eggs.....

BTW the weather is awful here today in northern NJ, very wet and cool, indeed it's been a very cold Spring.

Best bet for the O/P is to get a realtor to drive them around Millburn & Summit.
I was in Gary's at the weekend, they had twiglets but no easter eggs.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njmackem
I was in Gary's at the weekend, they had twiglets but no easter eggs.
He normally stocks Twiglets...and Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisps...and Double Deckers...and proper Aeros and Kit-Kats...and.....
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I was in there this morning, although they have now moved. They are on Watchung Avenue in Montclair.

Prices are what they are, but when you have a craving for something, you pay what you need to.