Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Nebraska

Moving to Nebraska

Old Apr 28th 2019, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Nebraska

I did a scouting visit, but only to qualify potential areas to live, not to decide whether or not to move. We'd been to the USA a fair number of times, to different locations, so we knew it was worth the role of the dice. As Pulaski says, it's different by a small enough margin to notice (and I am five miles North of what I call a cultural cliff edge - as a large town/city lover). I went a few weeks without someone asking where I was from, and it actually started to worry me, but a Subway member of staff smiled as i spoke last week (on the Alabama border) and I waited patiently for her to ask the question, she obliged. The real trick is to embrace it, warts and all. Just like the people over her who go on about knife crime in London to me - it happens, sure, but it didn't impact my daily life that much in the UK and is pretty isolated. I don't hold the UK to that standard, in the same way that while i shake my head at the gun issue here, I appreciate the historical context and in reality, while I have seen people carrying, it 's usually not with the thing being waved in my direction. When you take a positive approach, you can overcome the negative differences and enjoy all the positive ones.

My company has it's HQ in Omaha - harsh winters. Wouldn't catch me there. but i guess it isn't Alaska and the City itself is a decent enough size. There were some dodgy looking places near the airport o our trip, but then again, Penhill is a bit of a dump in Swindon.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! I seen your comment on another post about moving to Omaha. I’ve lived here for over a year now and I’m from Corby. Papillion is a really nice area, as is Millard, Elkhorn and Dundee (pretty pricey tho). I live in Midtown, in the Blackstone area where there’s loads of bars and restaurants in walking distance. Omaha is a great place, be prepared to deal with harsh winters and summers that make you feel like you’re in an oven. Living is pretty affordable here too and house prices are great. When do you plan on moving? We should grab a beer! I miss the Corby accent 🤣
Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Jodiemary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
Hello! I seen your comment on another post about moving to Omaha. I’ve lived here for over a year now and I’m from Corby. Papillion is a really nice area, as is Millard, Elkhorn and Dundee (pretty pricey tho). I live in Midtown, in the Blackstone area where there’s loads of bars and restaurants in walking distance. Omaha is a great place, be prepared to deal with harsh winters and summers that make you feel like you’re in an oven. Living is pretty affordable here too and house prices are great. When do you plan on moving? We should grab a beer! I miss the Corby accent 🤣
hey!! My partners the one from Corby and I’m from Newcastle he moved here with me when he was younger so he’s kind of lost the Corby accent now he’s a mix of both haha! He’s going out there end of may and I will be coming out September time, small world would be great to get to know people from our local areas haha! Yeah I love the housing in Omaha and we did look at papillon I like it there too! What’s your name I’m Jodie partner is Steve
Old May 1st 2019, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Omaha is nice enough - the winters are fairly easy to deal with as they know how to do snow in that area of the country as like clockwork they get it every 12 months!

Nice neighborhoods include Bellevue and Papillion as suburbs of Omaha. Plenty of nice countryside as well. Bellevue is the older suburb. Both surround the US Strategic Command HQ so plenty of military neighbors.

The Northwest of Omaha has many new builds. The area around Brownell Talbot school has some nice neighborhoods, its where Warren Buffett grew up and still maintains a home. If you want further afield try an outlying village. An even nicer alternative is Beaver Lake just south of Omaha. Some nice lakefront property, and not too crazy prices, for the most part: https://www.omahahomesforsale.com/beaver-lake.php

To Do:
Henry Doorly Zoo: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Fontenelle Forest Nature Center: https://fontenelleforest.org/
Strategic Air Command Museum: https://sacmuseum.org/
WildLife Safari Park (opposite above museum): Home

Last edited by vikingsail; May 1st 2019 at 8:57 pm.
Old May 5th 2019, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Omaha is nice enough - the winters are fairly easy to deal with as they know how to do snow in that area of the country as like clockwork they get it every 12 months!

Nice neighborhoods include Bellevue and Papillion as suburbs of Omaha. Plenty of nice countryside as well. Bellevue is the older suburb. Both surround the US Strategic Command HQ so plenty of military neighbors.

The Northwest of Omaha has many new builds. The area around Brownell Talbot school has some nice neighborhoods, its where Warren Buffett grew up and still maintains a home. If you want further afield try an outlying village. An even nicer alternative is Beaver Lake just south of Omaha. Some nice lakefront property, and not too crazy prices, for the most part: https://www.omahahomesforsale.com/beaver-lake.php

To Do:
Henry Doorly Zoo: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Fontenelle Forest Nature Center: https://fontenelleforest.org/
Strategic Air Command Museum: https://sacmuseum.org/
WildLife Safari Park (opposite above museum): Home
Definitely recommend the zoo and air museum having been to both. Not been to the others. Don't underestimate nebraska summers when out at the zoo. An elderly relative needed golf carting off to the medical room.
Old May 6th 2019, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

marmitetoasty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jodiemary
hi, my husband has been offered a job in USA Nebraska. We currently live in the UK I am from Newcastle and he is from Corby Northamptonshire. We are moving over towards the end of the year.
Just wondering who is out there and what it’s like living there! Would be nice to meet people -
Hello!
Just saw your post...I just moved to Lincoln Nebraska 2 weeks ago to join my partner...