Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from NC to Dallas-Fort Worth or Austin?

Wikiposts

Moving from NC to Dallas-Fort Worth or Austin?

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from NC to Dallas-Fort Worth or Austin?

Originally Posted by nethead
You're kidding right? I find PA pretty conservative, but that is comparing it to the UK not elsewhere in the US.
Pennsylvania's actually one of the most politically moderate states in the country. But that comes from the fact that central PA is like conservative (but not like Southern conservative) and a liberal east and west (but not liberal like MA or CA). Yes compared to the U.S. PA is a very moderate state and our politics always swing, we elect both Republican and Democrat governors, and swing both ways in presidential elections. Compared to the UK, PA's very conservative, then again all states except NY, New England states (except NH possibly, and maybe ME), and CA are very conservative compared to PA. And little micro spots of liberals like Austin in a mostly conservative state don't count
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:16 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
haha.. you are weird, but right!
Just picked a random one after searching 3BR at max $900.
Prices are temporarily depressed but may not stay that low for very long.

When ya move to a big city, and you don't want a commute, you have to live close to work. A $900 3bd/2ba house that's 5 miles from the city centre is great.... if your job is in the city centre. Most tech jobs in Austin are in NW Austin and rents are priced accordingly.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Pennsylvania's actually one of the most politically moderate states in the country. But that comes from the fact that central PA is like conservative (but not like Southern conservative) and a liberal east and west (but not liberal like MA or CA). Yes compared to the U.S. PA is a very moderate state and our politics always swing, we elect both Republican and Democrat governors, and swing both ways in presidential elections. Compared to the UK, PA's very conservative, then again all states except NY, New England states (except NH possibly, and maybe ME), and CA are very conservative compared to PA. And little micro spots of liberals like Austin in a mostly conservative state don't count
I'm not just thinking politically conservative.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I'm not just thinking politically conservative.
Well the politics of the region is also influenced by church attendance also, and the environment that people live in. In Pennsylvania much of the population lives in small towns and rural areas and those people are much more likely to be conservative, people in the cities are much more likely to be liberal. In Philadelphia more people tend to be pretty liberal and less likely to go to church, but in the suburbs people are more church going. Church attendance in PA is about the U.S. average. Think like 60% or something like that. It gets les the further up from PA you go, and more the further down you go. I've always felt PA was like, pretty average, just like with everything else.

I'm thinking that's what you were referring to by conservative outside the political sense?

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Mar 2nd 2010 at 8:20 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:52 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Hmmm, well.....After reading your list of dislikes about Raleigh my immediate thought was that you might find Texas even worse, but what do I know.

Have you considered any other states?
We have.
We heard and read that Texas is a state with a lot of prospects, lots of corporations with HQ's there, etc.

We would consider other states that have as good prospects and the cost of living is not high.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:54 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
I would tell him that if he's looking for a more moderate political population or liberal, I'd say he should look into Pennsylvania but I don't think he'll agree with 60% overcast days (sometimes I go weeks without seeing a shred of blue sky) and winter. Shame too because you can get plenty of house for $800-$900 outside of southeast PA. Winter isn't too bad east of the mountains, and you're not boiling to death in summer tho I think that's due to the fact that it's cloudy all the time lol
We both can't take the overcast/British-type weather, so the NE parts of the USA are not for us.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by snowbunny
a nice doublewide with commute here.
What is that please?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:57 am
Banned

dang, craigslist says it really IS that cheap in Raleigh!
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/apa/1624799862.html
Ad has been removed.
Maybe it wasn't legitmate.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Weird!

There were several listings at less than $900, I just picked a really weird one to link!

To get your thread back on its topic, Austin is the only place I would consider in Texas.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:31 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Weird!

There were several listings at less than $900, I just picked a really weird one to link!
Have you considered a career in investigations?

To get your thread back on its topic, Austin is the only place I would consider in Texas.
I'm thinking SoCal...
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Have you considered a career in investigations?

I'm thinking SoCal...
1)

2) And that was not one of the options!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:25 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Volt61
What is that please?
http://www.star-builders-del-norte-c...ouble-wide.jpg
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:31 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

1)

2) And that was not one of the options!
1: Well, it just seemed like you have a gift for it, homing in on the dodgy advert...

2: You're quite correct. I have re-read the OP's list of complaints and would like to revise my suggestion. Win the lottery and move to SoCal.