Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving my husband from Wales to Texas

Moving my husband from Wales to Texas

Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Kristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to all
Default Moving my husband from Wales to Texas

I just posted this in the Intro forum and thought I'd post it here too:

Hello! My name is Kristie and I joined this forum today finally after MONTHS of lurking and getting information.

I'm newly married to my favorite person on the planet. We met in the US November 2009 and have been commuting between Texas and Wales ever since. We got married last month in Wales and are just now starting the immigration process.

I thought it might be nice to join a group of my peers who are going through or have gone through this process. We are doing the immigration ourselves instead of using an attorney and I bet I'll have a million questions along the way.

I'd love any advice or tips to help make this process as smooth as possible if you've got anything to share.

Thank you!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving my husband from Wales to Texas

Are you the USC living in Texas or on a Visa yourself?
Congratulations on the wedding
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to allKristie999 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Are you the USC living in Texas or on a Visa yourself?
Congratulations on the wedding
Thank you!

I'm an American citizen, born and raised.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

He can come, but the sheep have to stay!!!

It is absolutely not necessary to pay an attorney. All the info is available here or on the USCIS site and he can apply from the UK, paying the necessary fees. It's a frustrating, time-consuming process, but worth it in the end. I came on a K-1 fiance visa and married within the required six months, so I'm not sure what is required if you are already married. I know others will be able to answer specific questions, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and good luck!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Guindalf

It is absolutely not necessary to pay an attorney. All the info is available here or on the USCIS site and he can apply from the UK, paying the necessary fees. It's a frustrating, time-consuming process, but worth it in the end. I came on a K-1 fiance visa and married within the required six months, so I'm not sure what is required if you are already married. I know others will be able to answer specific questions, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and good luck!
Thank you for the welcome!

I've done a TON of research and we did met an attorney to make a decision if we wanted to use one or not. When we were choosing which way he'd come over here (fiancee vs spouse) it just seemed, for us, bringing him over as my spouse was a better option.

I've got all the paperwork filled out and nearly ready to mail. Yikes!!

I bet we'll be buried in papers by the end of this process, huh?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

90 days, not 6 months.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
90 days, not 6 months.
Whatever - it was nearly 15 years ago!

At my age, the memory goes first, I think....

Who are you again?

(BTW, Kristie, if you don't get the sheep reference, ask hubby. I'm sure he'll explain! )
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Whatever - it was nearly 15 years ago!

At my age, the memory goes first, I think....

Who are you again?

(BTW, Kristie, if you don't get the sheep reference, ask hubby. I'm sure he'll explain! )
Oh, I KNOW all about the sheep. They outnumber humans something CRAZY! HAHA!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kristie999
Oh, I KNOW all about the sheep. They outnumber humans something CRAZY! HAHA!
Welcome to BE, Kristie!

For your Immigration related questions, please post over in the US Marriage Based Visa forum, here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35.

As the USC, are you living in Wales right now? Or will you be returning to the USA? Will you be filing the I-130 to the Chicago lockbox in the USA?

Since you've done so much research, I'm sure you know your husband won't get his Immigrant Visa for about 8 to 10 months, right?

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Welcome to BE, Kristie!

For your Immigration related questions, please post over in the US Marriage Based Visa forum, here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35.

As the USC, are you living in Wales right now? Or will you be returning to the USA? Will you be filing the I-130 to the Chicago lockbox in the USA?

Since you've done so much research, I'm sure you know your husband won't get his Immigrant Visa for about 8 to 10 months, right?

Rene
I'm in the US right now and my husband is in Wales. The form I'm using is the I-130 and yes it'll be mailed to Chicago.

And yes, unfortunetly, I know it'll take 8-10 months. I'm banking on it taking a year for my own sanity, just in case. We've been commuting for nearly 3 years so another 8-10 months, or a year, won't be too awful. I hope, at least!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Christie.

Many of the people who post in the Marriage Based Visa forum have been down the same road you and your husband are travelling. They will do their best to answer any questions you may have about the immigration process.

I hope you enjoy taking part in our cyber community.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 6th 2012 at 7:06 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oooo Jg, you make it sound so.....dirty!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oooo Jg, you make it sound so.....dirty!
That's 'cos I'm a dirty girl.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:07 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Tidy.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Where are you moving to in Texas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.