Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving my family to Philadelphia

Moving my family to Philadelphia

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

TheRunningMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving my family to Philadelphia

So I've been over in Philly this week with my wife looking for schools and we're more confused than ever! We liked the feel of Chestnut Hill, we're told it has a good community feel, but the choice of housing there is really very limited. So we also took a look at Jenkintown, where the houses choice is a little better and the commute East for me for work would be better, but we wonder if this is too much in the burbs and we'd nt get to meet many people and would not be close enough to downtown Philly to just pop in for dinner of an evening. We don't want to live downtown, but not sure if we're quite ready for full US suburban life just yet. Lower Merion seems like it could be good option, but we haven't looked at schools yet there for our 3 & 6 yr old. Luckily work will pay for private schools, so that gives us some more options. Any advice would be gratefully received!
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if the company is paying for private schools, then definitely stay in philly to enjoy the wonderful city and its culture. Philadelphia has a great food and cultural scene, which if you are in the U.S. For a limited time, should certainly be enjoyed. You can put the kids in Friends or one of the other well known schools. Philly downtown is very live able, compared to say NYC
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Clrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the rough

If work is paying for private schools, I'd send them to Friends Central school in Wynnewood and I'd live somewhere along Mainline. You can park at most mainline Septa stations for $1 a day, and can be in centre city within 30 mins. Lots of housing, great shopping and lovely communities.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 12:20 am
Just Joined

AbigailGreenberry is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you move yet? I have just joined this forum and have moved to Ardmore in Philly with my husband and we love it. Happy to give a bit more info if you're still looking?