Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving my DVD collection...

Moving my DVD collection...

Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving my DVD collection...

I have about 300 dvd's that I'd like to move to the US with me....whats the best way of doing this? If I were to just put them in a couple of boxes and get them sent via dhl, is this going to attract attention from customs? I dont want to have to pay to bring my own stuff in with me. My gf's mum sent a handbag to her from the US to London a few weeks ago, and customs charged her 200 quid!! She had to pay it, then reclaim it but it was a huge hassle...i want to avoid that kind of thing. I was also thinking of just putting as many as I could in a case when I move over, again, would that attract attention from customs? Would they think that I was trying to import them? whats the best solution?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving my DVD collection...

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I have about 300 dvd's that I'd like to move to the US with me....whats the best way of doing this? If I were to just put them in a couple of boxes and get them sent via dhl, is this going to attract attention from customs? I dont want to have to pay to bring my own stuff in with me. My gf's mum sent a handbag to her from the US to London a few weeks ago, and customs charged her 200 quid!! She had to pay it, then reclaim it but it was a huge hassle...i want to avoid that kind of thing. I was also thinking of just putting as many as I could in a case when I move over, again, would that attract attention from customs? Would they think that I was trying to import them? whats the best solution?
Here's a thread discussing customs and belongings. Apparently the deal is if they are used, and you've had them for six months (you just have to say so) you do not pay customs if you are moving.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513527
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:20 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

buy hard-drive

rip

sell

Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
buy hard-drive

rip

sell

I was thinking about that, but I would need

a) I would need some kind of raided SAN unit, I wouldnt want to risk putting them on a regular drive and I would need a lot of space.

b) I simply dont have the time to rip 300 dvd's, if I started now I wouldnt have it done in time.

c) Call me old fashioned, but I like looking at them. Same reason I like CD's and old Vinyl....
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:59 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about that, but I would need

a) I would need some kind of raided SAN unit, I wouldnt want to risk putting them on a regular drive and I would need a lot of space.

You need 2 500 Gb hard disks in usb enclosures

One for primary, one to copy 1 a month

b) I simply dont have the time to rip 300 dvd's, if I started now I wouldnt have it done in time.
Its worth it, no pain no gain

c) Call me old fashioned, but I like looking at them. Same reason I like CD's and old Vinyl....
You're old fashioned

HTPC's are all the rage now music/movies/pron/games/photos all linked into your telly is where its at
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Step 1. Buy a couple of big CD wallets.
Step 2. Take all DVDs out of their case and put them in the wallets
Step 3 (optional). Take out DVD covers.
Step 4. Put Wallets and covers if you want them in your suitcase or carry on.

There you go, easy. If you want you can then purchase new cases or just leave them in the wallets for easy storage and access.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Step 1. Buy a couple of big CD wallets.
Step 2. Take all DVDs out of their case and put them in the wallets
Step 3 (optional). Take out DVD covers.
Step 4. Put Wallets and covers if you want them in your suitcase or carry on.

There you go, easy. If you want you can then purchase new cases or just leave them in the wallets for easy storage and access.
I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent guy, but I must be absolutely wrong as i didnt think of that!! 300 empty DVD cases is bound to be cheaper than shipping them across! Thanks!!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough

I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent guy, but I must be absolutely wrong as i didnt think of that!! 300 empty DVD cases is bound to be cheaper than shipping them across! Thanks!!
Now i have sorted how i will move all my DVDs across... i shall not say how many i got.... you will get envious....
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UK_Tomcat_Fan
Now i have sorted how i will move all my DVDs across... i shall not say how many i got.... you will get envious....
Quality, not quantity.....

1 copy of La Haine or Annie Hall >>>>>>>>>>> 10 Jennifer Lopez movies.....

Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:20 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem in moving DVDs is if one of them happens to be a pirate dvd and it gets caught. Folks coming back from China are often queried about DVDs they may have bought and if they spent $2 for a DVD of 'Spiderman 3' then Customs can add some penalties (very very harsh penalities) for bringing in pirated material.

Just in case you shop on sidewalks for movies...
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK_Tomcat_Fan
I don't even know how many I have. I gave up counting once I reached 200 or so, though I do know that in the last 2 months I've gained 43 discs, 32 of which came from 2 boxed sets though.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

I've backed up hundreds of old tv shows etc. from video to dvd to bring over with me ...... Will they class these are pirated material ????

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The biggest problem in moving DVDs is if one of them happens to be a pirate dvd and it gets caught. Folks coming back from China are often queried about DVDs they may have bought and if they spent $2 for a DVD of 'Spiderman 3' then Customs can add some penalties (very very harsh penalities) for bringing in pirated material.

Just in case you shop on sidewalks for movies...
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy a case (caselogic?) that can hold 300 dvd and flat pack 'em, ie throw away all the boxes if they're not unique cardboard and keep all the inlays flat somewhere.

If you need new cases, you can buy them in the USA.

Thats exactly what I did and I also had over 150 PS2 originals too.

HTH
Darren
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojofilter
I've backed up hundreds of old tv shows etc. from video to dvd to bring over with me ...... Will they class these are pirated material ????
i brought loads of 'backed up' dvd's with me... my shipment was checked at customs but no fines and no issues
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I shipped my entire, tapes, cd, and DvD collection via DHL. All arrived in one piece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.