Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the mountains

Moving to the mountains

Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

fubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to the mountains

wouldn't do it to make money as that would be a massive pain in the arse, but if OP can afford it just for overnight staying. It will get annoying having to maintain it which is why I haven't taken the plunge for the second home.
Some friends are talking about all putting in to rent a bigger place for the winter then timeshare it between ourselves. Every other weekend for family fun, the rest...piss up and nude hot tubbing
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Colorado, really like it. If you don't mind a bit of a drive to the mountains then any of the Front Range towns from Colorado Springs up to Fort Collins would be viable. I'm a die-hard skier, live south of Denver but am happy to drive up I-70 every weekend. Sometimes we'll stay up there, other times just drive up and back each day - it's not too bad. Winter tyres are a must - I need to get ours put on next week. Colorado is a great state, it's generally laid-back and friendly, with plenty going on. I like the climate, get annoyed with the politics and generally just ignore the religion.

I get the impression there's a lot of tech companies along the Front Range. Whether there's many jobs on the go is a different question, can't help with that.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Steeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for taking the time to reply guys. Not been getting alerts on this thread for a few days, but have just caught up.

Dannyboy - sounds like I'll be picking your brains plenty! What you've been saying matches up with what my wife thinks about the move. I'm sure I'll miss London, it has a way of getting under your skin. I'll happily trade my craft beer in the shadow of St Pauls for a craft beer after a day on the slopes though! She also thinks the reduction in holiday time will be a shock to the system. Maybe see you on the slopes in 2 seasons time!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Steeb is an unknown quantity at this point

The wife and I have pretty firmly set our hearts on Colorado now. I’m sure we’ll visit some of the other places mentioned too over the years. We definitely want to ride a volcano over at Mount Hood Lots of adventure ahead!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotta
With a reasonable amount of experience, 5+ years, in the right areas - think line of business applications and supporting architecture - IT in Denver is pretty hot right now. Degree and certs mostly irrelevant. Get your resume into the hands of some recruiters and as long as you have experience and interview well your job search shouldn't take more than a month or two. This all assumes you are local and are willing to show up to an in-person interview with a day or so's notice.
Good advice. Since you don't have too much experience, and the job market is still not great, you would definitely be best served by showing up in person and not even suggesting relocation. If they see a 'foreign' address, that will immediately trigger a trip to the shredder, before you get to explain yourself. So I'd establish some kind of address, even if just a PO box, so you appear local. Make it clear you are 'moving to the area' and that you are not looking for a visa/sponsorship. When I got my job here, I flew to SF, and slept on the floors of friends for a week while hitting up every possible job opportunity. I only had 2 years experience myself, but that was back in the good old days!.
Originally Posted by scotta
5 years experience with MS servers, Cisco networking or enterprise class block level or cifs storage should generally net you somewhere in the $65k - 75k range. This assumes that your experience is fairly broad and you have personal hands on experience - more than just maintaining something already in place.
That sounds low for server/networking/storage engineer. We are looking to fill such a position and expect to pay over $100k, and that's here in AZ ... though we are looking for very strong experience - more like 10 years. Having storage, networking AND server experience is a great package.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What I'm seeing is a lot of reluctance to hire IT workers. Most new development jobs are in India, and I see MORE work in London than anywhere in the US. I'm beginning to think that working in London is more realistic than working in either the US or the Netherlands.
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Do you think that depends on your IT specialty? My OH is in the Open Source, Linux, MySQL, DBA areas of IT (I think he used the term LAMP too), and is currently looking for work out in Seattle. We are hoping he might find something that will come with relo assistance since we are in KY. He's seen quite a few jobs listed out there, but one has to wonder if they are real jobs, or listings for recruiters to get people's resumes. And I also fear his lack of a BS will be held against him, even though he has more than 10years experience in the IT field, and quite a few certs.
I do see a challenge with 'development' jobs; they are theoretically easier to outsource to India/etc. My current company is outsourcing dev to India through US-based front companies. They don't seem to be very happy with the results but can't seem to pay the price differentials for local. Sad, really.

But the OP is in more of an 'infrastructure' role, and that job is harder to outsource ... however, complicating that assertion is the idea that more and more infrastructure is becoming 'cloud' based. We are considering hosting our exchange server, for example ... but for now, we have a few colo's filled with servers and they need care and attention.

Originally Posted by Ozger
It's not just there. Even in Houston most of the the applicants I get are nowhere near qualified for the advertised position, and the ones that look good on paper (screen?) that I do interview have more often than not lied on their resume. Such a waste of everyone's time.

I would imagine that the salary associated with your junior admin role is a factor in people chickening out and not relocating . . . unless you offer assistance with it?

Appropriate IT Jobs are more scarce the further you get up the seniority ladder, which is my main obstacle in finding something at the IT Director level . . . especially when I'm looking somewhere relatively small in the North West, like Boise.
I agree that there seems to be a poor 'pool' of candidates, at least in the non tech-heavy population centers (eg, Phoenix area). I've hired a few people over the past 3 years, and I'm very underwhelmed by their performance. I still use a remote resource based in the Bay Area; he's head and shoulders above the 'locals' ... I put up with his 'remote' situation because he's just so much better than what I can find in the area.

Originally Posted by fallingwater
Thought about Salt Lake City? Close to Park City. University town, surprisingly liberal, great scenery. We spent a happy year there living up on the Avenues - a gift after nearly three years in Doha!
I hear many good things about Park City! Not sure how much 'tech' there is there, though.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Not much tech in PC that I know of - Lehi (25 mins south of SLC) has an Adobe office with about 900 employees, and there are a scattering of tech firms around the SLC area. I don't know whether someone like Intermountain Health Care (as UT's biggest employer) would have suitable jobs from that side.