Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Mountain View, CA - what else do I need to do?

Moving to Mountain View, CA - what else do I need to do?

Old Nov 9th 2015, 8:26 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Mountain View, CA - what else do I need to do?

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Depends on what your priority is.

The advantage HSBC has is that the OP can open the account from the UK before moving to the US. Hence that is one less job that needs to be done in the first few stressful weeks when you are trying to work out which way is up.
He may also be able to obtain HSBC-US credit cards based on his relationship with HSBC-UK. Also UK to US money transfers should be easy out of gate even if he sets up and utilizes a cheaper foreign exchange service later. HSBC may have other useful ex-pat services too.

I was able to pull off something similar such that, as I disembarked the plane in the USA, I already had a funded bank account, US credit cards (Visa and Mastercard) and more.

A little later, I was even able to borrow $$$ in the USA secured against property I owned in the UK.

I think HSBC represents a good way for the OP to get started. It certainly doesn't preclude the possibility of him changing banks at a later date if they can better meet his needs.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
He may also be able to obtain HSBC-US credit cards based on his relationship with HSBC-UK. Also UK to US money transfers should be easy out of gate even if he sets up and utilizes a cheaper foreign exchange service later. HSBC may have other useful ex-pat services too.

I was able to pull off something similar such that, as I disembarked the plane in the USA, I already had a funded bank account, US credit cards (Visa and Mastercard) and more.

A little later, I was even able to borrow $$$ in the USA secured against property I owned in the UK.

I think HSBC represents a good way for the OP to get started. It certainly doesn't preclude the possibility of him changing banks at a later date if they can better meet his needs.
Exactly. HSBC works fine for me as a Brit who travels to the US frequently. I have a US$ checking account and CC which I can access from the same web interface as my UK account. I imagine if I did move back to the US it would serve me fine for a while, if not permanently.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Another success story here for 'open the HSBC pre-move and get a credit card based on a UK history, then open a convenient local bank account once you've arrived'. Works great as a system.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Markg5150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
Another success story here for 'open the HSBC pre-move and get a credit card based on a UK history, then open a convenient local bank account once you've arrived'. Works great as a system.
Where you able to open an HSBC credit card account before moving to the US? or after you moved but based on your UK HSBC credit history?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markg5150
Where you able to open an HSBC credit card account before moving to the US? or after you moved but based on your UK HSBC credit history?
Bit of both. Opened the US account (checking+CC) whilst in the UK, but I already had a US social security number from a previous stay in the US. Don't know if that was significant.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markg5150
Before, a month or so before we moved to the US. We were actually living in Switzerland at the time, but they seemed to use some combination of our UK credit history/ us having had accounts with First Direct for many years/ hubby's future US salary, to get themselves comfortable with giving us a US credit card. It was done through some special international team, I think. We actually opened a Premier account which probably helped, but I don't remember it being a requirement; the team was more one that dealt specifically with corporate/ cross-border relocations, and they then transitioned us over to the Premier people once the accounts were opened.

They mailed out all the bank cards and checkbooks to Switzerland, so we had them all ready to go the minute we landed in the US.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Markg5150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
Before, a month or so before we moved to the US. We were actually living in Switzerland at the time, but they seemed to use some combination of our UK credit history/ us having had accounts with First Direct for many years/ hubby's future US salary, to get themselves comfortable with giving us a US credit card. It was done through some special international team, I think. We actually opened a Premier account which probably helped, but I don't remember it being a requirement; the team was more one that dealt specifically with corporate/ cross-border relocations, and they then transitioned us over to the Premier people once the accounts were opened.

They mailed out all the bank cards and checkbooks to Switzerland, so we had them all ready to go the minute we landed in the US.
Thanks - I'll be opening US accounts as soon as I'm back from the embassy next week!
Old Nov 12th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't bother renting. A few months won't make any difference to your credit history and renting is expensive so it's a waste of money.

Getting a car loan is one of the easiest ways to get credit and to build up history, so buying is easy. Lease, like nearly everything without credit history, would probably require a larger down payment.
Renting won't make any difference to your credit but it will save you some hassle in the first month if you don't also need to be thinking about a car (and you'll need one from the moment you arrive). If you book a monthly rental *now* you can get some good deals (currently renting toyota camry for 450 a month)
Old Jan 1st 2016, 7:09 pm
Looking for tax advice!

Vanes is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know of a good tax advisor in the Melo Park area for UK to US advice?
The branch of HSBC has been good for me, I got a mortgage with them this year and bought in Menlo Park. The call centres however are awful, but then all US banks seem to be poor compared to the UK.