Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving money from the UK to the States

Moving money from the UK to the States

Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of
Default Moving money from the UK to the States

Hey all,

I've looked over the past threads and can't seem to find any info about this. My Fiance wants to move a few thousand $ from his account in the UK to my account here in the US. What's the most expedient way to do this? It would be less than $3000, i believe.

Any advice is appreciated
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:15 pm
Kae
Forum Regular

Kae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving money from the UK to the States

Originally posted by Chessiet
Hey all,

I've looked over the past threads and can't seem to find any info about this. My Fiance wants to move a few thousand $ from his account in the UK to my account here in the US. What's the most expedient way to do this? It would be less than $3000, i believe.

Wire transfers take at most two days to go through. Although it should be a same-day thing from the UK to the US. Going the other way, US to UK it would be two because of the 8 hour difference (UK banks are close for the day by the time you probably send off the wire). We've done it in both directions and had no trouble with it.

He will need the name of your bank, the branch and address, your name, your account number, and the sort code.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of

Thanks Kae!

Originally posted by Kae
Wire transfers take at most two days to go through. Although it should be a same-day thing from the UK to the US. Going the other way, US to UK it would be two because of the 8 hour difference (UK banks are close for the day by the time you probably send off the wire). We've done it in both directions and had no trouble with it.

He will need the name of your bank, the branch and address, your name, your account number, and the sort code.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

hello

I highly recommend the wire transfer. We had been using bank drafts; but, when we had one that was for a couple thousand, it took almost 2 weeks while the banks talked to one another to make sure there was money for the draft. Wire transfer, Wire transfer, Wire transfer

Melody
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

This is too funny, I just posted a new thread, with a similar question!!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

I bank with Lloyds Bank in the UK.

I just went in and said I wanted to transfer x thousand dollars to routing code : xxxxx and bank account number xxxx in such and such a name and they did it electronically.

Took about 4 days to appear in the wifes account, and for the 3000 quid transfer it was less than 20 pounds to send it.

Hope this helps.
Lee
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

lonewolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by leebarton
I bank with Lloyds Bank in the UK.

I just went in and said I wanted to transfer x thousand dollars to routing code : xxxxx and bank account number xxxx in such and such a name and they did it electronically.

Took about 4 days to appear in the wifes account, and for the 3000 quid transfer it was less than 20 pounds to send it.

Hope this helps.
Lee
yup i can confirm this, I sent some money to my fiancee in the USA 2 weeks ago and I too used my bank, Lloyds tsb. It went through in 4 days and cost less than £20. Price to send it depends on the amount but there is an upper ceiling on the charge of about £45 -50, so if you have a big amount to transfer you aint gonna get hit with a massive fee.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

Originally posted by lonewolf
yup i can confirm this, I sent some money to my fiancee in the USA 2 weeks ago and I too used my bank, Lloyds tsb. It went through in 4 days and cost less than £20. Price to send it depends on the amount but there is an upper ceiling on the charge of about £45 -50, so if you have a big amount to transfer you aint gonna get hit with a massive fee.

Yup my last transfer was 38,000 quid and still only cost me 40 pounds maxed out fee... cant complain at a fee of around 0.1% =)
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:47 pm
Sarahstokesuk

Hi,

Seeing how the amount is less than $3000 you could consider AMEX traveller's
cheques...they come in large denominations and you can pay them into your own
or your spouse's account in the US...it would probably be cheaper than wiring
if you can get a "no commision" deal. Just an idea!

From Sarah

Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:45 pm
Dom

I bank with HSBC and I am keeping my UK account open until I get one
in the US. I will be signing something called a Fax Indemnity form
with them - it gives them my authority to transfer any money I want to
my new account in the USA. The fee was nominal - about £15 or so.
You may also consider giving a trustworthy friend or relative power of
attorney over your UK bank account.
Alternatively, if your UK bank has branches in the USA, you could
always see if they'll open a US bank account for you and then transfer
funds between the two accounts.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:41 pm
US resident at last :)

mstracy is an unknown quantity at this point

I transfer money to the US from UK fairly often with varying amounts. When my wife and I bought our house, I did a transfer of about $85,000 but I have done amounts as low as $1000 all using xe.com. They provide a good exchange rate but due to the double transfer fee (UK account -> XE.COM then XE.COM -> US account) it probably doesn't gain you much over a direct transfer from your bank account for this relatively small amount. If this isn't just going to be a one-off, I'd reccomend aopeing an XE account.

www.xe.com/fx

Mark

Hey all,