Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving money between UK and US and vice versa - lump sum and regular payments

Moving money between UK and US and vice versa - lump sum and regular payments

Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving money between UK and US and vice versa - lump sum and regular payments

Thanks for the input everyone; very reassuring.

Incidentally I was in a Santander branch yesterday and asked if I could operate my account and access online banking from the US and the answer was 'yes' on both accounts. Mind you, I've learnt to take Santander tellers' advice with a pinch of salt, though, to be fair, their customer service has been improving markedly of late. It couldn't have gotten much worse though.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving money between UK and US and vice versa - lump sum and regular payments

Originally Posted by technolog

Incidentally I was in a Santander branch yesterday and asked if I could operate my account and access online banking from the US and the answer was 'yes' on both accounts. .....
Make your mind up, do you have one account or two?

Santander has retail banking in the US, they're a kind of Spanish HSBC, so they have a lot less to fear from the (over)reach of the IRS and the US banking regulators than other banks with no US presence.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Santander has retail banking in the US, they're a kind of Spanish HSBC, so they have a lot less to fear from the (over)reach of the IRS and the US banking regulators than other banks with no US presence.
They took over Sovereign, for a bit of a New England presence. They really shouldn't have though, as that bank just needed to be put out of its misery.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Make your mind up, do you have one account or two?

LOL.

Clearly "both accounts" refers to both questions/issues and not bank account.

OP - I have had few problems with the bank that you have referred to. The main issue is that I cannot receive security text messages to my phone so need to do some things by telephone banking.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
OP - I have had few problems with the bank that you have referred to. The main issue is that I cannot receive security text messages to my phone so need to do some things by telephone banking.
Ah yes, good point. Will they not text to a US mobile number?
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

jborowsky is an unknown quantity at this point

are you leaving accounts into the UK? Depending on how much are you leave behind, you have different reporting requirements. also, if you come back to the US with UK pension scheme, there are ways to improve the pension schemes by departing the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jborowsky
are you leaving accounts into the UK? Depending on how much are you leave behind, you have different reporting requirements. also, if you come back to the US with UK pension scheme, there are ways to improve the pension schemes by departing the UK.
My intention is to keep my British current a/c open with it accepting my monthly pension income and paying out whatever bills might remain or crop up. I would aim to transfer the pension lump sum and house sale equity into a new US current a/c as soon after arrival as possible.

Would you care to elaborate on the 'ways to improve the pension schemes by departing the UK'?
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

jborowsky is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure. First you can't bring over british retirement accounts and set up an american equivalent presently. There are countries that will accept such rollovers with better tax treatment than if they remain in the UK.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jborowsky
Sure. First you can't bring over british retirement accounts and set up an american equivalent presently. There are countries that will accept such rollovers with better tax treatment than if they remain in the UK.
Beware of brokers in this field charging exorbitant fees, and consider very carefully if you want the complications of handling funds in yet another country.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 5:53 pm
Researching like mad

Mcodox is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out Transferwise. Its a P2P currency converter. I have transferred about 150k this way UK to US in the last few months. Best rate within the spread, lowest overall charges I think. I do multiple 10k's due to the daily limit, whenever the rate is good. Takes a few days though (3 ish) so you need to have good timing.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally I was in a Santander branch yesterday and asked if I could operate my account and access online banking from the US and the answer was 'yes' on both accounts. Mind you, I've learnt to take Santander tellers' advice with a pinch of salt, though, to be fair, their customer service has been improving markedly of late. It couldn't have gotten much worse though.
Hi Technolog

Does having a santander account in the US and UK in anyway solve the transferring money from the UK and the US without those little charges nipping away at your savings?

I emailed them a week ago with this question, nothing as yet.

Did you find out if your UK money would just become US being the same bank?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

Incidentally I was in a Santander branch yesterday and asked if I could operate my account and access online banking from the US and the answer was 'yes' on both accounts.
I asked them the same question and gave them my US phone number to send the otr code to.
When I got here and tried to change something on my account and then the box appeared for the otr to be entered that they said they had sent nothing appeared on my phone.

Emailing Santander on their 'secure server website email system thing page' is a pain because they will not answer because they are unwilling to believe it is me who is sending the email which is usually a complaint at how useless they are at letting me access my account to make changes!
Old Feb 7th 2014, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

mrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoutbanana
I asked them the same question and gave them my US phone number to send the otr code to.
When I got here and tried to change something on my account and then the box appeared for the otr to be entered that they said they had sent nothing appeared on my phone.

Emailing Santander on their 'secure server website email system thing page' is a pain because they will not answer because they are unwilling to believe it is me who is sending the email which is usually a complaint at how useless they are at letting me access my account to make changes!
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I went into Santander and asked if they had a US presence and they said no! Bank of America have said we're unlikely to be approved for a credit card, so would need to go for a secured credit card, where they charge an annual fee and we have to put up $300 which we get back after a year..... really insulting when we both have excellent financial records in the UK. I'm thinking surely Santander, as my UK bank (with a credit card) could easily arrange a US credit card for me (without a fee etc). Has anyone ever done this.... I'm guessing it will be a long conversation with multiple people in the UK end, if the people in branch don't even know Santander is in the US!?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsmaccmoo
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I went into Santander and asked if they had a US presence and they said no! Bank of America have said we're unlikely to be approved for a credit card, so would need to go for a secured credit card, where they charge an annual fee and we have to put up $300 which we get back after a year..... really insulting when we both have excellent financial records in the UK. I'm thinking surely Santander, as my UK bank (with a credit card) could easily arrange a US credit card for me (without a fee etc). Has anyone ever done this.... I'm guessing it will be a long conversation with multiple people in the UK end, if the people in branch don't even know Santander is in the US!?
Read this thread and many others. Your UK credit does not transfer to the US. You have to start again. Go to the Help & Guidance at the top of this forum and you will find lots of useful information about this.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsmaccmoo
..... really insulting when we both have excellent financial records in the UK. ...
Not really, you're pretty much starting out afresh in the US, don't take it personally.
.... I'm thinking surely Santander, as my UK bank (with a credit card) could easily arrange a US credit card for me (without a fee etc).
Maybe, maybe not, it depends if the bank in the US has a standard procedure for it, and maybe even if whoever you're speaking to in the US is prepared to take the initiative to help you. It may be a complete cräp shoot.
.... I'm guessing it will be a long conversation with multiple people in the UK end, if the people in branch don't even know Santander is in the US!?
This doesn't have anything to do with staff in the UK. The US bank is a separate legal entity, with its own management and a different regulator. It will be entirely up to the bank in the US whether to issue a card, so I suggest you stop talking to branch staff in the US, who are clearly not well cluded-in to where else their employer even has branches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.