Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving money.

Moving money.

Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving money.

Originally Posted by penguinsix
This $10,000 myth comes up a lot.

There is nothing illegal about having > $10,000 come into the US in a wire or even a cashier's check from a bank in the UK to a bank in the US.

If you bring in more than $10,000 IN CASH--i.e. a big wad of bills, stuffed in envelopes or mattresses or whatever, then the business (i.e. sometimes a bank) is often required to obtain a form that is filed with the IRS for >$10,000 cash transactions. This is designed to prevent BMW dealers from selling cars to drug dealers for cash (really, that's pretty much why the law was written). Note: It is not illegal to bring in > $10,000, it just has to be reported. If there is no US tax owed on the money, then really the only thing you need to be worried about is a slight violation of your privacy rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Secrecy_Act

HOWEVER, breaking up a large transaction into many smaller ones specifically to avoid the reporting requirement IS A CRIME! (yes, you can commit a crime trying to avoid something that is not a crime). It is called "structuring" and is illegal (though there have been some cases both ways).

As for the original question, first--don't use paypal, unless you want to pay 2.9% off the top as a fee. Just send a wire from your UK bank to the US one. If the rate blows (as it often does) than consider XE trade.

If you have more questions, contact your US bank and ask to talk to someone in their foreign currency department or their wire room, or ask to speak to someone in their legal department for more information.
Don't forget cash, travellers cheques etc you bring with you into the country totalling over $9,999.99 must be declared on the customs form.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:43 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't forget cash, travellers cheques etc you bring with you into the country totalling over $9,999.99 must be declared on the customs form.
Yes, good point. Bringing in > $10,000 in cash and those types of checks also has to be declared at Customs. Again, it's a cash thing.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:39 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Do you have any sources/anecdotal evidence?
I'm not sure exactly which part you're skeptical of, as neither of those things is special knowledge, but broadly speaking, I work in that sphere (detection/prevention, not money laundering!).
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to be aware of is that when you come to buy a house in the US you will need to take out a mortgage. They may well want to see information about the money you have had from the UK house sale - the date it was sold, date the money was transferred, etc.

We are about to take out a mortgage and our provider wants from us...
2 months bank statements
verification of the completion of sale of UK property plus verification of receipt of proceeds in US bank and conversion rates
letter from UK mortgage holder to verify payment history for last 12 months
landlord reference for time spent in the US
evidence of residency status
social security numbers
4 credit references to verify 12 months satisfactory payment history in the UK - utility bills, phone compnay, car insurance, any other credit provider
tax returns for last 2 years
homeowners insurance provider details
drivers licence copy

Some of this is because we have no credit history so far - we have only been here a few months. We could've waited a year and built up credit but we wanted to buy now so we are jumping through all the hoops to get a mortgage.

I plan to bring over the money with InterchangeFX or similar. I already sent over £20k, got an excellent exchange rate, and they did it all in one day. My bank had offered a similar rate but it was going to take them four days to wire the money.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
One thing to be aware of is that when you come to buy a house in the US you will need to take out a mortgage. They may well want to see information about the money you have had from the UK house sale - the date it was sold, date the money was transferred, etc.

Why would they need to know this...it's none of their business? I have never heard of it before.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:02 am
Just Joined

diecast is an unknown quantity at this point

My U.S. bank will accept a sterling check but charges 1% for the currency conversion. My U.K. bank will create a U.S.dollar check for 18 pounds. I imagine different banks have different policies. I'm also not sure which bank would use the more favorable exchange rate, so its pretty hard to know which is the best deal.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:04 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, just on the subject of trying to be clever by transferring sums slightly less than $10,000: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1190...hpp_us_pageone
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

NO ????? ............. havn't seen any better sugestion than mine yet
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Why would they need to know this...it's none of their business? I have never heard of it before.
I have no idea why they want to see it but they are offering us a very good deal so I am going to give them the information.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:17 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably cheaper to move it across in one go. You should get a better exchange rate and only have to pay one transfer fee.
I agree. Hubby had his UK bank wire his money in one lump sum into our joint account here. We only paid his bank 20 pounds and our bank $15.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:27 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins

We are about to take out a mortgage and our provider wants from us...
2 months bank statements
verification of the completion of sale of UK property plus verification of receipt of proceeds in US bank and conversion rates
letter from UK mortgage holder to verify payment history for last 12 months
landlord reference for time spent in the US
evidence of residency status
social security numbers
4 credit references to verify 12 months satisfactory payment history in the UK - utility bills, phone compnay, car insurance, any other credit provider
tax returns for last 2 years
homeowners insurance provider details
drivers licence copy

Some of this is because we have no credit history so far - we have only been here a few months. We could've waited a year and built up credit but we wanted to buy now so we are jumping through all the hoops to get a mortgage.

I plan to bring over the money with InterchangeFX or similar. I already sent over £20k, got an excellent exchange rate, and they did it all in one day. My bank had offered a similar rate but it was going to take them four days to wire the money.

Most of these items are normal things lending companies ask for in the U.S. I am USC and have bought 5 houses here (4 with ex and one alone). I've never had to come up with a landlord reference because I've never rented...I went straight from parents to house purchase. And I've not needed proof of residency, but everything else you've listed looks normal (at least in Ohio). Instead of credit references, I had to sign an approval for them to do a credit check on me. They just want to make sure you are going to pay your mortgage...they are protecting their investment.

A good loan officer makes all the difference also on how smoothly everything goes. I have used the same person for my last two purchases, and it was almost painless.

Good luck.