Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Michigan - any Brits there

Moving to Michigan - any Brits there

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

southernbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Michigan - any Brits there

I will be moving to Michigan in the near future with my American born Michigander wife. I was and am hoping somewhere out there i can find some Brits who can advise me what its like in Michigan, what parts of best to live in, what social life is there, etc etc. As much advice or suggestions you can give me on or about Michigan will be greatly appreciated - cheers
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Michigan - any Brits there

Originally Posted by southernbrit
I will be moving to Michigan in the near future with my American born Michigander wife. I was and am hoping somewhere out there i can find some Brits who can advise me what its like in Michigan, what parts of best to live in, what social life is there, etc etc. As much advice or suggestions you can give me on or about Michigan will be greatly appreciated - cheers
ROFLMAO
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 1:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
ROFLMAO
Plenty of snow digging practise awaits you ... and socially you can discuss snow blowers with the neighbors ...
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 1:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Have you asked the Missus?

I hear it gets very cold there in winter.

And apparently winter is quite long.

(Which is why I live in California )

That's about as much as I know about Michigan, I'm afraid.

Good luck! And welcome to the madhouse...
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 1:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Why not ask your wife about MI or don't you believe what you've heard about her home state?

There's quite a few British BE members living in MI. Hopefully, they'll share their pearls of wisdom about MI.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 3:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

alright chief! I live in Michigan.......what do you need to know?
First point of call is get and international drivers license........you can use it for a year whilst you get your shit together.......then go take the Michigan road test (piece of piss)

Insurance is mad here, and any claims bonus is not transferable, but you will be treated like a regular michigan driver and not penalised for being a newbie as in some states.

Pm me if you have any more questions.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 3:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.motopera.org/doh/tours.html

http://www.dia.org/

http://www.detroit.com/theater/index.html

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

southernbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Why not ask your wife about MI or don't you believe what you've heard about her home state?

There's quite a few British BE members living in MI. Hopefully, they'll share their pearls of wisdom about MI.

NC Penguin
Thanks for the speedy response's but the reason i wont ask my wife is because she would obviously be biased. I myself have been there several times but dont have a full view of what its like as i haven't stayed longer than 10 days at a time and was looking for a Brits view and not an American one lol TY.
When you consider Michigan is probably bigger than the whole of Great Britain it would be god to learn what is there in comparison - the good and the bad.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

When you consider Michigan is probably bigger than the whole of Great Britain it would be god to learn what is there in comparison - the good and the bad.
Ummm!! NO!! GB is twice the size of Michigan.... but GB has six times the population....
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Michigan land 96000 sq mi
UK land 155000 sq mi

however when you include the total area upto the state borders which includes the great lakes it comes close. as the UK only has 2000 sq mi of territorial waters and Michigan has like 40000 sq mi of state waters
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:41 pm
Homebody

Thanks for the speedy response's but the reason i wont ask my wife is because she would obviously be biased. I myself have been there several times but dont have a full view of what its like as i haven't stayed longer than 10 days at a time and was looking for a Brits view and not an American one lol TY.

You "will be moving to Michigan in the near future" and you are asking these questions NOW

On what basis did you make the decision to move?
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:46 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Elvira
You "will be moving to Michigan in the near future" and you are asking these questions NOW
On what basis did you make the decision to move?
FFS... What is the matter with you .... His wife decided ....
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 5:17 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
FFS... What is the matter with you .... His wife decided ....
Are you saying he is married to a dominatrix? :scared:
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 5:21 pm
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts in Michigan are you planning to move to? I came over here in 1999 and have settled in well. I know that there are lots of Brits living here but I've only met a few in my area (south west). I must admit that the winters do tend to drag on and on

At least you'll be able to get some Brit goods from Meijer (international aisle) and, if you are going to live anywhere near the Canadian border, you can always pop across to stock up on Brit sausages/pies etc if you start missing those!
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 5:21 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Elvira
Are you saying he is married to a dominatrix? :scared:
As long as she hates Opera ..she can be anything she likes ....
and thats enought talking about a posters partner ... its a NO NO ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.