Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to MD-any advice on areas to live??

Moving to MD-any advice on areas to live??

Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

katjoeuk will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to MD-any advice on areas to live??

Hi everyone,

We're hoping to move to Maryland at the end of September, and I was hoping to get some advice on what areas are nice to live in?? My husband has worked there before, but lived in D.C. so doesn't really know the area and I have never even been there!! I know Annapolis is supposed to be nice, but that's probably a bit far from hubby's work AND too expensive...

Any info is much appreciated!!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to MD-any advice on areas to live??

Originally Posted by katjoeuk
Hi everyone,

We're hoping to move to Maryland at the end of September, and I was hoping to get some advice on what areas are nice to live in?? My husband has worked there before, but lived in D.C. so doesn't really know the area and I have never even been there!! I know Annapolis is supposed to be nice, but that's probably a bit far from hubby's work AND too expensive...

Any info is much appreciated!!
Is he going to be working in DC again this time?

EDIT to add: I ask because that and the distance he is willing to commute might narrow things down a bit.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

No, his work is outside of D.C. - it's kind of between D.C. and Baltimore, and you are absolutely right - the commute is the major factor for us! He used to be used to a long commute, but after having lived in the Bavarian sticks for 5 years, where it took him all of 5 minutes to go to work, and living round the corner from work here in the UK, too, he just can't face long commutes anymore - and I don't want to see even less of him, either!!

It's all about finding the right balance between living somewhere nice, close to work AND affordable!!!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:21 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you can tell us the name of the town he's going to work in that will really help us narrow down things a bit.

One of the problems right now is that Fort Meade is expanding--greatly--with several thousand new workers moving there and no real public transit option at the moment.

Annapolis is a nice place to visit, but if you want to live there you have to deal with high prices and hit or miss school options. Severna Park is a nice place but even more expensive.

Do you have a general budget for a house yet? Rural/suburban/urban?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
If you can tell us the name of the town he's going to work in that will really help us narrow down things a bit.

One of the problems right now is that Fort Meade is expanding--greatly--with several thousand new workers moving there and no real public transit option at the moment.

Annapolis is a nice place to visit, but if you want to live there you have to deal with high prices and hit or miss school options. Severna Park is a nice place but even more expensive.

Do you have a general budget for a house yet? Rural/suburban/urban?
Really?? I'm surprised to read that - I thought all the government agencies had to cut down on their workforce to save money?? And yes, that's exactly where we'll be moving (I guess you guessed that already )

Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking into those areas....
AS for budget, we were hoping around 400.000......is that realistic??
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:31 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Fort Meade is a consolidation of other bases into one facility. I think there are as many as 10,000 new jobs coming as part of the base closing and realign

Last edited by penguinsix; Aug 29th 2011 at 12:34 pm.