Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Manhattan (Battery Park) - which private school for 5 year old?

Moving to Manhattan (Battery Park) - which private school for 5 year old?

Old Apr 22nd 2018, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

d96o is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Manhattan (Battery Park) - which private school for 5 year old?

We are moving to Manhattan in the summer of 2018 and looking to enroll our 5-year old in a private school. We would like to move to Battery Park but are flexible on the location. Our 5-year old is currently finishing first year of an IB-school in London.

Any recommendations for a private IB-school in lower Manhattan that would have space for the 2018/2019 school year?

Thank you and we appreciate any input
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Manhattan (Battery Park) - which private school for 5 year old?

What visa do you have? To be moving to one of the most expensive real estate locations in the world, either you have good company sponsorship or millions in the bank!

All other answers are moot before we know the answer to this question.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Manhattan (Battery Park) - which private school for 5 year old?

Not sure I understand why my visa status would be critical to the question? I have a green card, wife and child are US citizens. Tuition fees up to around $50k per year are acceptable.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d96o
Not sure I understand why my visa status would be critical to the question? I have a green card, wife and child are US citizens. Tuition fees up to around $50k per year are acceptable.
We ask because a very high percentage of people with no hopes of getting a US visa ask such questions.

I would say that figure is a pretty good ball park. Private schools in North America are expensive. We have enrolled our soon to be 4 yr old granddaughter in a school in Toronto...school fees there are just as expensive.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 3:27 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately we see questions like this all the time from people with no hope of getting here. So before anyone types up paragraphs and paragraphs of helpful advice, it's good to know that their efforts won't be wasted. So we often ask this question first and foremost before anyone wastes their time. Also it's good to know if people are talking about a time-limited move (such as an L-1) or a permanent move.

You say you have a green card but you are not living in the US currently. Are you certain that your status has not been considered abandoned if you've been out of the country for a while? Even though the card expiry date may be years from now, your status can "expire" if it's deemed that you've been out for too long. I'm sure you've looked into this with the embassy.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

I have checked and am certain of my status. Sorry to hear that the forum has a problem with people wasting each others time. I've started looking at schools such as Leman, Pine Street School and others that offer the IB program in lower Manhattan. Just wanted to hear if others have any experience and info on schools that would be available for the 2018/19 school year and to have an exchange around that.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 4:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have checked and am certain of my status. Sorry to hear that the forum has a problem with people wasting each others time. I've started looking at schools such as Leman, Pine Street School and others that offer the IB program in lower Manhattan. Just wanted to hear if others have any experience and info on schools that would be available for the 2018/19 school year and to have an exchange around that.
My daughter went to private school in NJ and there was a very long waiting list. I presume that will be the case in Manhattan. If you look at the school’s website should say if it is an IB school...but I don’t think there will be many IB private schools. I would call around the schools and see what availability there is...you may not have a great deal of choice.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 22nd 2018 at 4:22 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 4:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Don't recall seeing any forum participants whose children are in a Manhattan IB school. However, even if there were, I doubt they would have any inside information as to enrollment possibilities -- you will have to directly contact the schools in which you are interested to ascertain that.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 4:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your status is not considered abandoned, although how you would find this out being outside of the US would be of interest to others in similar situations. Unless, of course, you have just received your visa and will, upon entry at the POE, be stamped with the I-551 and your green card mailed to you.

Anyway, requests for information about IB schooling or in fact, any type of schooling, while residing in Battery Park in lower Manhattan are a rarity. Most newcomers to the shores of Manhattan find themselves settling in New Jersey, Brooklyn, Westchester County and even as far as Connecticut and commute into the office from there.

Perhaps you might want to enlarge your geographical lines for residency to encompass other areas such as these in your search for a first grade class for your child. At least in the US 6 year olds are in first grade normally.

Must it only be an IB school? Or are you open to other private schools or perhaps charter schools? Especially if it is for one or two years of your child's first years of schooling with a transfer to be done later.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 22nd 2018 at 4:27 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 6:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thread closed at OP’s request.