Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Maine!

Moving to Maine!

Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Andy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really nice
Default Moving to Maine!

me and the wife have decided to move to Maine!
we're fed up with the heat so we've decided to get out of the kitchen and er...move into the fridge.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:10 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Maine!

Originally Posted by Andy in FLA
me and the wife have decided to move to Maine!
we're fed up with the heat so we've decided to get out of the kitchen and er...move into the fridge.
more like the freezer,
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Andy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really niceAndy in FLA is just really nice

I think you're probably right! Mind you, we're going fully equiped, I've bought a coat of feathers!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're probably right! Mind you, we're going fully equiped, I've bought a coat of feathers!
Where are you moving to in Maine? It is a beautiful state.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

That and a Hudson Bay jacket would be a good idea.

LL Bean will be your friend.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

We're going to live in the Rochester area. We used to live in New Hampshire so I'm not too worried about my watsits falling off as they have done already!
But we like the peace and tranquility, I'm getting an old codger, I'll be reaching for a pipe next.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm there is a Rochester in Maine? So much for my knowledge of cities in other states.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Oops, you're quite right, our friends, who are kind of the reason we are moving in that direction are in Rochester, NH. We on the other hand are moving to Wells.Me.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been to Wells, but love living in Maine

I've only done a year here, and the few things I have learned are...

LL Bean is indeed your friend
Make sure you go somewhere warm for a while between Jan and Mar to defrost
If someone offers you to sell you a working secondhand snowblower say yes not no
You don't need 4WD but you might want snow tyres
Spend as much as you like on your snow boots because it's all you'll wear for about four months
Check very carefully what your property tax will be before you buy your house

To be fair I've yet to experience anything other than a 'very bad' Maine winter

The summers are fabulous, fall is beautiful, spring is nice when it finally arrives some time in early June...

I think Maine really does have that 1950s feel to it - people are friendly, businesses don't try to rip you off, there isn't much traffic (as long as you avoid route 1), and people don't lock their doors.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. We are looking forward to the change. Florida is a bit too hectic for us, a bit in your face and not being able to speak Spanish isn't too good around here. My wife is from Massachusetts and misses her children, and I miss the seasons, I like a blue face whilst out looking for Christmas presents, I miss the smell of coal too for some reason I can't fathom out?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 1:19 am
Sursum corda

Oops, you're quite right, our friends, who are kind of the reason we are moving in that direction are in Rochester, NH. We on the other hand are moving to Wells.Me.
oooh Wells, that's near Ogunquit right? Rochester I know, my parents went to UNH.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 1:21 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by kins
Haven't been to Wells, but love living in Maine

I've only done a year here, and the few things I have learned are...

LL Bean is indeed your friend
Make sure you go somewhere warm for a while between Jan and Mar to defrost
If someone offers you to sell you a working secondhand snowblower say yes not no
You don't need 4WD but you might want snow tyres
Spend as much as you like on your snow boots because it's all you'll wear for about four months
Check very carefully what your property tax will be before you buy your house

To be fair I've yet to experience anything other than a 'very bad' Maine winter

The summers are fabulous, fall is beautiful, spring is nice when it finally arrives some time in early June...

I think Maine really does have that 1950s feel to it - people are friendly, businesses don't try to rip you off, there isn't much traffic (as long as you avoid route 1), and people don't lock their doors.
You are making me homesick for New England.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Sorry Cindy, It's a lovely area for sure. Do you ever go back? My wife simply can't fly for love nor money and consequently hasn't been back for quite some time. I flew back a couple of years ago on a hair raising flight back to Manchester NH and when I got off I could smell the freshness and pine needles as soon as I got outside the terminal. It'll be lovely to get some fresh air again.
Central Florida's a huge urban sprawl of nastiness and violence, there's been 36 murders in Orlando this year so far. I can't see us ever coming back here.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:46 am
Sursum corda

Sorry Cindy, It's a lovely area for sure. Do you ever go back? My wife simply can't fly for love nor money and consequently hasn't been back for quite some time. I flew back a couple of years ago on a hair raising flight back to Manchester NH and when I got off I could smell the freshness and pine needles as soon as I got outside the terminal. It'll be lovely to get some fresh air again.
Central Florida's a huge urban sprawl of nastiness and violence, there's been 36 murders in Orlando this year so far. I can't see us ever coming back here.
I have-n't been back for some years and I do want to take DH there, it would be heavenly in the fall, but spring or summer would do too. I miss the seasons, something we don't have here- 'course the tradeoff is no winter, but still...........

I used to fly into Montpelier (when they still had service there) the pilot used I-89 to navigate, . Also used to fly into Lebanon, which is interesting coming through the mountains. We will probably fly Southwest to Manchester when we do finally make it up there-most economical. I want to do some family tree research in Maine- Brunswick, Leeds, Bethel areas.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I love Wells. I vacationed there many times over the years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.