Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Los Angeles California from UK. HELP!

Moving to Los Angeles California from UK. HELP!

Old Jan 2nd 2024, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

1speedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Los Angeles California from UK. HELP!

We live in Westlake Village Ventura County side; think you will like the area. We have been living here for 43 years now from the UK. There is a DMV in Thousand Oaks few miles down the road, you could possibly set up an appointment online for just after you arrive, I am sure. If you belong to Costco or join when you arrive, they have an excellent insurance offering through Connect for home and auto with good rates. I would recommend Premier Credit union in Thousand Oaks to bank with, they were voted number 1 in the area. B of A is not known to offer good service at the Westlake branch, there is a Chase in Westlake which is pretty good.
Old Jan 4th 2024, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the jdpower annual survey I usually direct people to for retail banking: https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...sfaction-study

Scroll down for the charts. Looks like it lists US Bank, Chase and Citi as the top major banks for CA. Local advice would also be helpful, though.
Old Jan 5th 2024, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

As for building a credit score, I would suggest that once you pick a bank, you open a secured credit card with them for say a$1,000 limit. Then have a couple of your monthly bills like your cable and phone bill get automatically charged to it and pay the balance off as soon as the bill hit your card. Two advantages: You will not miss any of these bills, and you build a credit history quickly. It will also be the same as paying cash as long as you pay the balance right away.

Last edited by discoviking; Jan 5th 2024 at 3:18 am.
Old Jan 6th 2024, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Giux is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
You won’t get it when you arrive, you will get it a few weeks later after applying (I think you now need an appointment for SS Office, I was able to “walk in” back in 2010)… I popped over a few weeks before I “moved” to look for apts and apply for my SSN and get my HSBC account open so I would have checks to get my apt lease… did not need a car day 1 as I was in NYC, but did do Zip car to build my insurance record… you can always rent cars when you arrive (and ask the employer to pay). The best way to avoid credit issues is to buy a car cash, but that won’t help build your credit score…

I think I will take 3-5 quotes before I will make my decision on cars. I really would like to spend as less as possible at the least for the beggining to understand how all works!!
Old Jan 6th 2024, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by discoviking
As for building a credit score, I would suggest that once you pick a bank, you open a secured credit card with them for say a$1,000 limit. Then have a couple of your monthly bills like your cable and phone bill get automatically charged to it and pay the balance off as soon as the bill hit your card. Two advantages: You will not miss any of these bills, and you build a credit history quickly. It will also be the same as paying cash as long as you pay the balance right away.

That was my plan already. I am with AMEX UK at the moment for credit cards. I have spoken with them and apparently will be easy to get a new credit card as currently already with them. Reading other forums, apparently is difficult to get accepted for a credit card without credit score.
Old Jan 6th 2024, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 1speedy
We live in Westlake Village Ventura County side; think you will like the area. We have been living here for 43 years now from the UK. There is a DMV in Thousand Oaks few miles down the road, you could possibly set up an appointment online for just after you arrive, I am sure. If you belong to Costco or join when you arrive, they have an excellent insurance offering through Connect for home and auto with good rates. I would recommend Premier Credit union in Thousand Oaks to bank with, they were voted number 1 in the area. B of A is not known to offer good service at the Westlake branch, there is a Chase in Westlake which is pretty good.

Great info!
I will definitely keep in mind DMV in Thousand Oaks. This is one of the first thing I will need to do.
Old Jan 7th 2024, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Pierre_Tete is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW - regarding drivers licenses... you will need to take the multiple choice test. Some of the questions are downright stupid and not intuitive so some study is necessary. I had to take the test when moving from Florida. Cali has also recently mandated that all drivers over 70 need to retake the test and many are failing, despite having lived here all their lives. There are questions which seem to have little or no bearing on road safety (not that safety is a priority on the roads anywhere in the US....). Each test is randomized so you don't know in advance which questions from the hundreds of possibilities you will be asked.

Old Jan 11th 2024, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giux
That was my plan already. I am with AMEX UK at the moment for credit cards. I have spoken with them and apparently will be easy to get a new credit card as currently already with them. Reading other forums, apparently is difficult to get accepted for a credit card without credit score.
Amex essentially treat you as a Member. When you request a new card in the USA, it is precisely that, a brand new card, but Amex retain your membership start date form whenever that began in the UK, so you retain your history with them. Credit Agencies here will pick-up the new card, with it's new issue date as the start of your credit file in the USA.

From personal experience, Wells Fargo were easy to get set-up and Chase have been better should we need to move money elsewhere (without going into the more efficient world of money transfer providers). Wells were also very quick to offer their credit card (standard, not secured) once we had money coming into them. Both of these have decent ATM networks around the USA, if that is important to you.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 1:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
.... From personal experience, Wells Fargo were easy to get set-up and Chase have been better should we need to move money elsewhere (without going into the more efficient world of money transfer providers). .....
Both Chase and Wells Fargo, plus apparently more than 1,600 other financial institutions, are members of Zelle, giving the ability to transfer money almost instantly. I use it myself to send and receive money, and typically I get an email from my bank, to say that I have received money, before I get the email from the person who sent it. .... AFAIK Zelle is US domestic only.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 2:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
Amex essentially treat you as a Member. When you request a new card in the USA, it is precisely that, a brand new card, but Amex retain your membership start date form whenever that began in the UK, so you retain your history with them. Credit Agencies here will pick-up the new card, with it's new issue date as the start of your credit file in the USA.
It was brilliant - and a tip I read on BE ages ago (thank you to whoever it was). We set up Amex UK accounts 9 months before moving as suggested on this most excellent forum. Took a 30 second application when signed in to my account to get a US card approved, one question (SSN number) and that was it - card with $25k limit delivered to my door 4 days later and a credit history started from a week or so in to the country. Blooming marvellous!
Old Jan 12th 2024, 9:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It was brilliant - and a tip I read on BE ages ago (thank you to whoever it was). We set up Amex UK accounts 9 months before moving as suggested on this most excellent forum. ....
I posted that advice many times, as it had worked for me, but it was very common advice back then, that others posted too, so I can't claim credit in good conscience.