Reload this Page >

Moving to Long Island NY

Moving to Long Island NY

Old Mar 29th 2019, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Luisa800 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Long Island NY

Hi everyone

I’ve searched the other threads on this topic but can’t find any recent info on it. Hopefully i haven’t repeated any old info.

Me and my husband will make the move the Long Island sometime this summer. Exciting but I know nothing about LI and have never been. 😟

Looking for a 2 bedroom apartment somewhere that’s no more than 40 minutes by car one way to Ronkonkoma which is where work is, but also commutable to NYC, so near a LIRR station would be great. We can pay max $3.5k a month in rent.

Would have preferred living more towards the west side of the island but due to work, central areas would be a more practical commute.

We are in our early 30s, would like a relatively quiet and safe neighbourhood (safe more important) and more than happy to take LIRR into the city for fun on weekends.

Any info on possible suitable areas/towns would be very much appreciated! 😊

Last edited by Luisa800; Mar 29th 2019 at 2:06 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Long Island NY

Have a look at Zillow. You can search rentals and get a feeling.

I go there for work sometimes, Brookhaven National Lab, and enjoy my trips. Stony Brook and Port Jefferson are lovely and it tends to get a bit more pastoral the further East you go.
Like most places there are nice and not so nice parts.

Over the past few years there's been articles on gang activity however I don't know if it's particularly worse there.

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 29th 2019 at 2:50 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 4:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

L1? H1B? Helps to know the visa you'll be getting.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She said L1.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 7:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Where? I don't see it. She says LI - but is referring to Long Island.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Have a look at Zillow. You can search rentals and get a feeling.

I go there for work sometimes, Brookhaven National Lab, and enjoy my trips. Stony Brook and Port Jefferson are lovely and it tends to get a bit more pastoral the further East you go.
Like most places there are nice and not so nice parts.

Over the past few years there's been articles on gang activity however I don't know if it's particularly worse there.
thanks for the info! I’ll look into it
Old Mar 29th 2019, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Where? I don't see it. She says LI - but is referring to Long Island.
Ah yes. Didn’t realise that would cause confusion. I did mean Long Island.

Visa is E2.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, that's interesting. I run my own business.

Are you buying into an existing one or setting up new? (Just curious is all and it adds to the body of knowledge if you're willing to outline..Many visitors here are interested in E2's)
Good luck and if you have more questions you're in the right place.

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 29th 2019 at 10:13 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or an Employee
Old Mar 29th 2019, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Or an Employee
Of course. You pre-empted me while I was checking...

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 29th 2019 at 10:17 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 3:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of what visa you are emigrating to the US with, your question was about areas to live in on the Island, as most New Yorkers call Long Island. It is an very large Island and one with a very diverse area with lifestyles that are as diverse as the people who live there. Since you have stated Ronkonkoma, from my limited knowledge (gained through a co-worker who lives in that town), it is rather rural and safe. I would use city data for more information on that particular city as well as sites such as Realtor.com, Zillow.com, etc. for housing prices and sometimes they give you pertinent info about the area. As a young person in my 30's without children, it definitely would not be my choice to live in that area. Far to quiet for me.

P.S. Please note that in the winter during snow storms, this portion of the LIRR often does not run.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 30th 2019 at 4:36 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 3:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link to city data for Ronkonhoma. Seems like a strange place to open a business. The population is under 20,000

Ronkonkoma, New York (NY 11779) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders
Old Mar 31st 2019, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Or an Employee
That’s correct
Old Mar 31st 2019, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Regardless of what visa you are emigrating to the US with, your question was about areas to live in on the Island, as most New Yorkers call Long Island. It is an very large Island and one with a very diverse area with lifestyles that are as diverse as the people who live there. Since you have stated Ronkonkoma, from my limited knowledge (gained through a co-worker who lives in that town), it is rather rural and safe. I would use city data for more information on that particular city as well as sites such as Realtor.com, Zillow.com, etc. for housing prices and sometimes they give you pertinent info about the area. As a young person in my 30's without children, it definitely would not be my choice to live in that area. Far to quiet for me.

P.S. Please note that in the winter during snow storms, this portion of the LIRR often does not run.
Same - don’t want to actually live there either! So looking at the central part of the island.

Good tip about LIRR not running due to snow storms.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived on Long Island for almost 20 years, and currently work in Ronkonkoma. There are plenty of reasonably "safe" towns and villages dotted around, although my personal preference is towards the less cramped Suffolk County, as opposed to Nassau to the west. Ronkonkoma itself is handy as it is a major LIRR train station / hub, with hourly departures into Penn Station (Manhattan).

Your estimate for rent seems pretty reasonable. Housing is expensive, but you will generally get more space for your dollar the further east you live (other than the Hamptons). I like the older villages on Long Island, and would recommend looking at Patchogue or Sayville on the south shore, or Northport, Port Jefferson, or Stony Brook on the north shore. As an aside, Ronkonkoma is almost exactly slap bang in the middle of Long Island, so almost anywhere on the island will be within commuting distance. Many Long Islanders work in Manhattan so an hour or twos commute is not uncommon.

Feel free to PM me any specifics. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.