British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   moving from london UK to newport beach usa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-london-uk-newport-beach-usa-773944/)

bchollet Oct 8th 2012 8:44 am

moving from london UK to newport beach usa

my partner might have the opportunity to move to newport beach for work reason.
would anyone have experience over there of cost of living( food , rent, ....)

help and advices would be great!!!!

barbara

civilservant Oct 8th 2012 12:57 pm

Re: moving from london UK to newport beach usa

I don't have any specific advice on Newport Beach but what I can say is that you will not be able to get a visa to go with him if you are unmarried. The only one available in that situation is a B2 co-habitating visa (if you have been living together in the UK) - this does not allow you to live in the US, nor give you the right to work. It is essentially a visitors visa.

ian-mstm Oct 8th 2012 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by bchollet (Post 10319260)

California?

... would anyone have experience over there of cost of living( food , rent, ....)
Expensive!

Do you plan on going also? If you are, you'll probably need to be married!

Ian

Bob Oct 9th 2012 1:48 pm

If it's Newport Beach, CA, it'll probably be expensive. If it's Newport, NH, it's probably not going to be nearly as expensive, nor as nice for that matter.

Anyway, a lot of it all depends on if you're able to get a visa and what it is as well as what medical insurance is offered. Figure that out as everything else is irrelevant right now and a waste of time tbh.

Though city-data.com is a good starting point, as is padmapper, zillow and craigslist, then check out the grocery stores online, Trader Joes, Wegmans, Walmart, Fresh and Easy, Stop and Shop, whatever is in the area.

Everything else, well plenty of threads with general advice that you could look up.

BritishGuy36 Oct 11th 2012 2:24 am

...and since nobody seems to have mentioned it yet ... is your partner same sex or opposite sex? Same sex marriage is not valid for US visa purposes.

helpmeplease123 Oct 11th 2012 7:03 am

Originally Posted by bchollet (Post 10319260)
would anyone have experience over there of cost of living( food , rent, ....)

barbara

Newport Beach is great and tonnes of good food, bars etc. - you should live on the peninsula, then you're walking distance to a lot of stuff... but it can be pretty expensive.

supercat68 Oct 25th 2012 12:16 am

I moved from London to Costa Mesa which is next to NB but a bit cheaper! It's a great place to live so let me know if you have any specific questions :)

SanDiegogirl Oct 25th 2012 1:20 am

California? Great place - busy, buzzy, expensive if you want someone really nice to live, loads to do, must be keen on surfing, beach games and the party life.