British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving London - NYC? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-london-nyc-877458/)

izugefn May 14th 2016 12:00 pm

Moving London - NYC?

Hello

I have never joined one of these forums before... but I am hoping someone might be able to give me some advice

I'm not an expat - yet. My boyfriend of 6 years has been offered a job in NYC. I am from London, so used to the 'big city'.

We're aware of the various complications with visas, work permits etc and still working on that.

But I've been looking into flats to get a sense of the cost of living. I knew it was high, but it seems on a par, if not slightly more expensive than living in London.

The thing I am not sure of is whether it's common to be able to rent furnished? Everything I have seen so far is unfurnished. Is that the norm in the states? Having to buy furniture isn't really ideal as we're only planning on staying a year or two.

Can anyone give me some advice? Anything else I need to bear in mind?

Thanks

Rachel

scot47 May 14th 2016 3:54 pm

Re: Moving London - NYC?

What visa will you be applying for ? Is there a visa for "unmarried partner of opposite sex" ?

SanDiegogirl May 14th 2016 4:07 pm

"Anything else I need to bear in mind"

Yes, there is no unmarried partner visa which allows you to work and is a visa which allows a permanent stay.

It's either get married or apply for the B/2 cohabiting visa which does not allow you to work and needs to be re-applied for every 6 or 12 months (not sure which).

OR or course you get your own work visa.

izugefn May 14th 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks for your concern. I'm fully aware of the restrictions around getting a visa for the US, and we have some options that we're looking into. My employer has an office in NYC for a start, and there is a good chance I would be able to get a transfer.

Any advice about my original question..?

robin1234 May 14th 2016 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by izugefn (Post 11947888)
Hello

I have never joined one of these forums before... but I am hoping someone might be able to give me some advice

I'm not an expat - yet. My boyfriend of 6 years has been offered a job in NYC. I am from London, so used to the 'big city'.

We're aware of the various complications with visas, work permits etc and still working on that.

But I've been looking into flats to get a sense of the cost of living. I knew it was high, but it seems on a par, if not slightly more expensive than living in London.

The thing I am not sure of is whether it's common to be able to rent furnished? Everything I have seen so far is unfurnished. Is that the norm in the states? Having to buy furniture isn't really ideal as we're only planning on staying a year or two.

Can anyone give me some advice? Anything else I need to bear in mind?

Thanks

Rachel

There are various companies in the U.S. that will furnish an apartment for you at a monthly fee. All the way from basic to luxury mode. Seems like a lot of $$ per month, but it may be a good way to go when you are just looking at one or two years, since it makes the initial set up and the final disposal much easier. CORT and AFR are two such companies.

Bob May 14th 2016 9:53 pm

Might also want to look at corporate housing. Those places might rent out longer term and are furnished.

Pay a premium for it though.

Suppose it all depends on if you want nice, shiny furniture or don't mind a bit of Ikea or second hand stuff. Then again, how much furniture do you actually need? Places tend to be smaller and all that stuff.

themadpooper May 15th 2016 3:29 am

Currently renting in Chicago, the wife grew up in New York, however, and rented various apartments there. Unfurnished is much more common here than in the UK, America tends to view furnished apartments as unhygienic. Personally, I would go unfurnished to save on rent and just hit IKEA if, as you say, you're only here a year or 2. One thing to look for is to ensure the apartment has been freshly painted prior to moving in, this is the norm with rentals in the US, again for reasons of hygiene. If the walls aren't spotless or appear not to have been newly painted, make sure to raise this pronto. Good luck

izugefn May 15th 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks very much to everyone for the advice.

tbm May 15th 2016 9:32 pm

First of all, you should get used to calling it an "apartment" rather than a "flat". :)

You didn't say where you NYC you want to live but I found Manhattan quite different to London. I guess other boroughs are more similar to London.

Furnished apartments are unfortunately not common at all. I agree that IKEA is the way to go. If you keep things simple, you can stay below $1500 which isn't too bad over 1-2 years. Your boyfriend should ask for a sign-on bonus or relocation assistance (remember you'll also have to stay in a hotel or something until you find an apartment.) IKEA in NYC does deliveries for a fee (around $110 in 2014).

Other things to think about:

• It might be difficult to rent an apartment without a US credit history. Be prepared to pay a higher deposit than other people.
  • Sign up for an id NYC card once you're established. It will give you free membership to many museums / parks for one year. See Museums and Cultural Institutions - Benefits - id NYC