Reload this Page >

Moving from London to New York

Moving from London to New York

Old May 12th 2018, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

soubaner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from London to New York

Hi All,

I will be moving to New York with my wife next month from London. As part of the move, I have trying to figure out some of the places where we can live as couple. We live in Wandsworth currently and would absolutely appreciate your help in pointing towards similar places. We were thinking about a budget to USD 2000/month, which may or may not be enough for a one/two bed room flat or something else. Now I can come here and say that I would love to live in Manhattan but that's not going to happen. I was thinking somewhere more around which would be 45 minutes or so to the Grand Central station. Is this wishful thinking or am I kind of almost there in terms of budget ? Any suggestions or tips on neighbourhoods to possibly look out for, will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old May 13th 2018, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from London to New York

Under what visa are you moving?
Old May 13th 2018, 12:06 am
Just Joined

L1A
Old May 13th 2018, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Metro-North lines out of GCT. For instance Tarrytown is 40-45 minutes to GCT on the expresses (2-3 trains an hour at peak) and you should be able to find a 2br apartment for c $2,000, maybe a little more.
Old May 13th 2018, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving from London to New York

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Under what visa are you moving?
OK thanks..... always good to know that the posters can actually do the move they tell us about
Old May 13th 2018, 12:19 am
Just Joined

@rpjs, Thanks. I will search for Tarrytown in Zillow. Please let me know if there's any other websites you would recommend, similar to Rightmove or Zoopla over here.

@SanDiegogirl Of course, no worries.
Old May 13th 2018, 12:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Try the Metro-North lines out of GCT. For instance Tarrytown is 40-45 minutes to GCT on the expresses (2-3 trains an hour at peak) and you should be able to find a 2br apartment for c $2,000, maybe a little more.
I'm with rpjs that Westchester County is a good starting point. Tarrytown, its neighboring city, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, are all good towns. They line the Hudson River and use the Metro-North Hudson Line to Grand Central.

Then there is the Harlem line to Grand Central and you can try towns such as White Plains, North White Plains, Rye.

Just call up the Metro-North website, go to the map that shows the three train lines, Hudson, Harlem and New Haven (Connecticut), and you will see the various towns listed. A city data search will give you more details on the towns or you can ask here. There are some to be avoid, IMHO, i.e. New Rochelle, Portchester to name two.

There is also Long Island, i.e. Queens Village, Floral Park, with access to mid-town via Penn[sylvania]
Old May 13th 2018, 12:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soubaner
@rpjs, Thanks. I will search for Tarrytown in Zillow. Please let me know if there's any other websites you would recommend, similar to Rightmove or Zoopla over here.

@SanDiegogirl Of course, no worries.
No Rightmove or Zoopla ... Zillow, Realtor and Apartments.com
Old May 13th 2018, 12:31 am
Just Joined

@Rete, Thanks a lot. Very helpful.
Old May 13th 2018, 2:34 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is Fairfield County, Connecticut. You would take the New Haven line from Grand Central Terminal, with possible locations being Greenwich, Stamford, Norwalk, or Westport.
Old May 13th 2018, 7:39 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Another option, a bit closer in, is Spuyten Duyvil in The Bronx. It has a Metro North station, with frequent trains into Grand Central, with a journey time of about 25 minutes. It's a pleasant area with a nice village-like shopping centre, and plenty of apartment buildings (1950s to 70s era mostly) with reasonably priced rentals. There are beautiful parks, colleges and universities nearby, in general a very nice part of the Bronx. (We keep idly looking there as a place to retire..) Last time I looked, there were plenty of good rentals around the $2,000 point.

In terms of commuting, in addition to Metro North, there are commuter buses - limited stop express buses that get you from various points in Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil and environs to specific drop off points in the upper west side, midtown, downtown etc.

Here's one, for instance, Henry Hudson Parkway, $1,750.
"Imagine the opportunity to enjoy the serenity of the neighborhood with an ease of access to local and express buses and a short distance to Central Riverdale. Large to medium sized Doorman 1 bedroom unit with en suite bath. One of the most unique of buildings adorned lobby with exquisite murals welcome you home. Queen sized bedroom plenty of closet space lovely living room hardwood floors...on site laundry and super in this 7 story building built in 1927"

Last edited by robin1234; May 13th 2018 at 7:49 am.
Old May 13th 2018, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Nutmegger and robin1234
Old May 13th 2018, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look across the Hudson at Jersey City. The Path train and the ferries to Manhattan are really fast and frequent. You get more for your money and you're only 5 mins away from Downtown Manhattan, plus with all the light rail as well, you can live here easily without a car, unlike in Westchester. That'll save you more money. I think it's the perfect area. I think it's only not more popular because New Yorkers tend to be a bit snooty about New Jersey. Think of it like a London-Essex thing!
Old May 13th 2018, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PootleK
Take a look across the Hudson at Jersey City. The Path train and the ferries to Manhattan are really fast and frequent. You get more for your money and you're only 5 mins away from Downtown Manhattan, plus with all the light rail as well, you can live here easily without a car, unlike in Westchester. That'll save you more money. I think it's the perfect area. I think it's only not more popular because New Yorkers tend to be a bit snooty about New Jersey. Think of it like a London-Essex thing!
Thanks. Any particular neighbourhoods within Jersey City, would you recommend ?
Old May 13th 2018, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

I live near Exchange Place, it's really safe here, proven by the 30 expensive buggies left outside on the street for hours, outside the local nursery The Path train from Exchange Place takes 4 mins into World Trade Centre. Plus there are ferries into World Financial Centre, Wall street and Midtown. If you want to pm me I'll recommend a really good apartment block, it's the one I live in and I love it!
Edited as saw you wanted to be close to Grand Central Station: the Path train will also take you to 33rd street station in about 20 minutes if your place of work is near enough to walk from there, or you can get the 4 & 5 train from Fulton Street (attached to the World Trade Centre Path Station) to GCT, including express trains.

Last edited by PootleK; May 13th 2018 at 5:11 pm. Reason: Oops didn't notice GCT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.