Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from London to Manhattan with children. Schools??

Moving from London to Manhattan with children. Schools??

Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

aaronlondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Moving from London to Manhattan with children. Schools??

Hello all; long time lurker, first time poster.

So... looks like my UK business is opening a New York (Manhattan) office later this year. Visas currently underway and we know the City pretty well. My wife lived there for 3 years before we met too.

However, whilst my wife lived there and we've visited plenty of times, we have a 5 year-old currently in primary school in London and we don't know anything about the New York school system. I've found some info online, but it's a lot to take in and seems a bit of a minefield, so I wondered if anyone here might have been through similar situation and be able to offer up any advice?

Few facts:-

- Our child is 5 at moment and in reception year, though year 1 when it comes to us moving
- We'll probably be moving in the middle of the school year (around November / December), so it will be an "in-year transfer" (at least that's what it's called here in UK)
- We're talking state school, rather than private

Some questions:-

- How do catchment areas work?
- Would we be better finding schools we like and letting that steer where we live or vice versa?
- Are there any recommended resources for us to check out -- e.g. websites that provide info in clear english?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help

Aaron
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from London to Manhattan with children. Schools??

Originally Posted by aaronlondon

Some questions:-

- How do catchment areas work?
- Would we be better finding schools we like and letting that steer where we live or vice versa?
- Are there any recommended resources for us to check out -- e.g. websites that provide info in clear english?
The street you live on, down to the number determines which school you go to, so find a school you're interested in and that's the area you want to live in.

As for resources, yeah, plenty of threads on the subject. All depends on budget and type of commute you want to have.

greatschools.org is good, but take some of the recommendations with a pinch of salt.

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bob.

In terms of areas, we're thinking Greenwich Village, Lower East Side, Gramercy etc (Downtown), or Upper West Side. Having researched the property a fair bit, it seems within budget for what we'd be after.

But the school situation will likely have an even bigger effect on our choice.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Agree that you should find a school first and then find somewhere to live in that school zone.

There is a public gifted school which apparently is like "hitting the education jackpot" if your child gets into it. It's called Hunter College Elementary. I only know this because I'm reading a book about gifted testing and this school was mentioned. Is your child smart? From what I understand he/she will probably be more advanced than his/her same age american kids...

There's a website called http://www.city-data.com/forum/ which is good for asking questions about towns, neighborhoods and schools.

We might be moving too and if I have to research schools I will use it for sure.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Location is crucial when looking for public (public = state - free) schooling in NYC.

If you are looking for private schools not such a big deal.

You may find the perfect school have a house/appartment in the right area and still not get in.

See registration information on this link http://www.ps150.net/home btw its a great school!

This was the reason we ended up in the burbs and not in NYC when we moved here as it was too big a risk with the lottery system the best schools use.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

That's crazy, I didn't know that... And are you not allowed to enter the "lottery" until you already live in the area?

So is it not like that in the burbs, ie where you live is where you go to school?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

In the burbs you go to the school in the district where you live, NO lottery

In our district last year they had 10 kindergarten classes with 23/24 kids per class at budget time. However over the summer a lot of families moved into the area and all hell broke loose on first day of school as the class sizes had gone up to 26/27 and it was too late to add a section.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
However over the summer a lot of families moved into the area and all hell broke loose on first day of school...
Yep, that might be us this summer!

Thanks, good to know.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all. So when you say the Burbs, you mean Brooklyn, Queens etc, rather than Manhattan?

Thanks also for the links, will check them out tonight. I'll post back with any findings.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all. So when you say the Burbs, you mean Brooklyn, Queens etc, rather than Manhattan?

Thanks also for the links, will check them out tonight. I'll post back with any findings.
for us the "burbs" is classed as Greenwich CT area and the lower Hudson Valley - Westchester.

We looked at schools in Brooklyn in Park Slope and close to Brooklyn Heights but didn't get a very good feeling about them.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Places way out, along the commuter belt, check out NJ too, Englishmum, has posted loads about the towns along the commuter belt, Hoboken etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 10:19 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

This is our primer on education and how to enroll. Will have some bits worth considering as you go through the process.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educat...s_in_school%3F
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks penguinsix, that's an incredibly useful link.

Can anyone tell me the difference between school application process in Manhattan compared with other districts (or the 'Burbs)? I'm reading something about a lottery system, compared with a more straight forward catchment zone for outside Manhattan?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks penguinsix, that's an incredibly useful link.

Can anyone tell me the difference between school application process in Manhattan compared with other districts (or the 'Burbs)? I'm reading something about a lottery system, compared with a more straight forward catchment zone for outside Manhattan?
Each school district has a different process here is how it works in our district, we came over in August and had to schedule medicals before the girls could start school - UK medicals didn't count had to be done here!

In order to register your child/children in the school system, you will need to furnish the registration office with the documentation listed below. Please note that the school district may request additional information, if necessary.

Students will not be placed in a class until all registration materials are completed, including physicals.

Kindergarten registration for the 2013-2014 school year, for children who turn five years of age on or before December 1, 2013, will begin November 5, 2012 and continue through March 22, 2013.

Please bring all originals to Student Registration; copies will be made of the following:

Completed and notarized application.
Child’s original birth certificate, passport or other acceptable proof of date of birth.
Valid photo ID for registering parent (driver’s license, passport).
Proof of immunization; physical and dental examinations current within last 12 months.
Last report card /Transcript /IEP/504 (if applicable).
Custodial/adoption/guardianship papers (if applicable).
CURRENT PROOFof residency within the ******** District: THREE documents in the name of the parent/guradian registering the child with an ******* address, not a P.O. Box.
For example:

HOME OWNERS
Current Tax Bill, Deed or Share Certificate
AND ANY TWO:
Current electric/gas utility bill (not a turn off notice)
Current cable bill
Current telephone bill (no disconnect/cell bills)
Current paycheck indicating name and address
Current Maintenance bill (condominiums and coops)

RENTERS
Current Lease or Landlord Affidavit
AND ANY TWO:
Current electric/gas utility bill (not a turn off notice)
Current cable bill
Current telephone bill (no disconnect/cell bills)
Current pay statement indicating name and address

Please note: auto insurance, credit card or other bills do not qualify as proof of residency; however, a New York State driver’s license may be considered when presented with twoadditional proofs of residency AND a utility bill.

Last edited by notonuksoil; Mar 3rd 2013 at 7:41 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

The vaccinations that were different from the UK for my kids were:

Chicken pox. If your child has had chicken pox you do not need the varicella vaccine. No proof needed, just tell the doctor.

Hep B. My kids had to have 3 Hep B shots when we arrived in the USA, in order to start preschool. You can get the first one and be able to start school, then have the others within the timeframe recommended. I wasn't happy about this as I've read horrible things about the Hep B vaccine and it doesn't seem necessary, but my kids are fine.

Hep A was recommended but not mandatory so we said no to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.