Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from London (Essex) to New York City area

Moving from London (Essex) to New York City area

Old Nov 13th 2022, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

mum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from London (Essex) to New York City area

Originally Posted by steph0scope
If your husband is a USC, have you looked into whether your children are already USCs? This will depend on how long he lived in the US and how old he was. If you’re married to a USC you are unlikely to need an immigration lawyer (unless there’s something massive you haven’t revealed). A spousal visa is probably the easiest one to get. The paperwork is tedious and they do like to drag things out but it’s very straightforward. Assuming you can read and write English then you do the paperwork yourself. They don’t ask any questions you don’t already know the answers to. I was pleasantly surprised how easy the process was (also married to a USC).
Our children are eligible to be US citizens by default, we just need to get an appointment for their passport applications. For me; it should be simple we are just taking his company up on the offer of immigration lawyers to do the paperwork for the avoidance of doubt. Good to know you found it simple though, I hope it will be the same for us!
Old Nov 13th 2022, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

mum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
There is a lot for children to do. I feel like a taxi driver and ATM…

We did memberships for zoo, museum, aquarium etc when they were younger. Maybe $150 a year each for a family one.

My 2 boys do coding at code ninjas. About $35 a session. Swim, we moved from the private one to to YMCA think it’s $60 vs wings over water which was $100’s a month. Soccer and T- ball etc can be $100’s at a private place or town parks and rec maybe $60 for a session + $20 for the shirt. Parents are the unpaid coaches and a high schooler is reff at weekend games. Skiing is $120 a kid for a 3h lesson (excluding pass and gear) or $120 / hour for a private lesson. Many people here (living in the type of home / area your are describing) either have a second home (ours is on a lake for summer and 20 mins to small ski hill) or are members of a club for summer with pool and tennis. Although the town lake and beach are also fine and only need a $20 annual permit for parking.
Thanks - this is comforting. We have a lot available to us here so I’m glad to hear there is also a lot happening there. Skiing sounds cheaper than I thought it would be, but I can’t get my head around the soccer costs. There is a British music/sensory class in the US that costs £7 a session here and $35 there. Similarly the football here is £40 per child per month. It seems like a huge increase and I can’t quite figure out why. Safe to say we won’t have a second property, that almost makes me thinks our kids will feel poor!
Old Nov 13th 2022, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nypool1e
Since your husband is going to be working close to Penn station & you will be renting, have you considered living & renting in NYC itself? I have just returned to the UK from NY & lived in a community called Peter Cooper village/Stuyvesant Town. It’s located between 14th & 23rd street, first avenue & avenue C, 30 minutes walk to Penn.

It has a mix of older residents, students (they are affiliated with NYC university) but also people in your age range with kids. They have great amenities & also world class medical facilities in the area. Check out their website, I wish you luck.
We have looked at areas closer to NYC but the schooling doesn’t seem to be as good, and we wouldn’t really have any more space than we have now. My husband is looking to tap back into the spacious American lifestyle he grew up with which forces us a bit further out.
Old Nov 18th 2022, 5:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smithtranters
Thanks - this is comforting. We have a lot available to us here so I’m glad to hear there is also a lot happening there. Skiing sounds cheaper than I thought it would be, but I can’t get my head around the soccer costs. There is a British music/sensory class in the US that costs £7 a session here and $35 there. Similarly the football here is £40 per child per month. It seems like a huge increase and I can’t quite figure out why. Safe to say we won’t have a second property, that almost makes me thinks our kids will feel poor!
The cost of living in the greater NY area is insane. We tried to find a happy medium of commute time, home/ yard size, and cost of living, and gave up looking after about six months of renting an apartment just north of White Plains and not finding a home we were happy with. The deal breaker for us, was not the direct cost of housing, but that property taxes even back in 2002 were pushing $1,000/mth, on top of the cost of the house, which just wasn't viable for us as it would have stretched our budget even if my wife had a full time job in Manhattan, which she didn't at the time we were looking for a home.