Reload this Page >

Moving to Las Vegas in a couple of years

Moving to Las Vegas in a couple of years

Old Feb 25th 2016, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

sarahlouise3110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Las Vegas in a couple of years

Hi everyone,

I'm very excited to learn that we will be moving to Las Vegas in a couple years and am desperately trying to learn everything i can before hand.

Firstly, the reason it will be a couple of years is because we are getting married this year and need time to save again to move. My OH has already got an employer that will sponsor so we are not worried about the visa application process.

Does anyone know how much it will approximately cost to move? We won't have a lot of belongings to take as we plan to sell most of the big stuff and start again once we are there. I'm obviously worried about having enough money to move what we are taking (clothes, small items etc) plus deposits etc for rent and setting up once we're there.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Sarah
Old Feb 25th 2016, 9:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Las Vegas in a couple of years

Originally Posted by sarahlouise3110

Does anyone know how much it will approximately cost to move?
Anything from nothing to tens of thousands.

If you're moving for a job, negotiate it as part of the package so you don't have to pay it.

If you're paying yourself and sell most things, you can check the cost of appliances on Amazon.

Budget anything from $50-600 as a deposit for each utility. Rental deposit being a fair whack and deposits to get a couple of cars and not cheap insurance.

Anyway, welcome to BE!
Old Feb 25th 2016, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, the reason it will be a couple of years is because we are getting married this year and need time to save again to move. My OH has already got an employer that will sponsor so we are not worried about the visa application process.
Quite unusual to find an employer willing to wait that long.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

I'd just like some advice on moving costs please so I know what to expect. I'm positive I'm going to have more questions closer to the time but I'm just trying to get rough estimations. I'm asking on here because you are British people that have made the move to the USA and know better than anyone the obstacle's involved.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like some advice on moving costs please so I know what to expect. I'm positive I'm going to have more questions closer to the time but I'm just trying to get rough estimations. I'm asking on here because you are British people that have made the move to the USA and know better than anyone the obstacle's involved.
The biggest obstacle is always the visa. I think you may be underestimating just what a hurdle that presents.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

10K GBP
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The costs will vary just as moving within the UK would be. Since neither of you have lived in the US prior to this and have absolutely no credit rating and have never had a utility account in the US, as Bob said, budget up to $500 just to have the lights turned on in the apartment you are renting.

Then there is the cost of the deposit when renting. Since you have no credit rating here, they might ask up to 6 months rents as a deposit. Rents can run you from $1200 to $3000 a month depending on where in Vegas you want to live and if it is an apartment or a house. When my daughter moved to Vegas 17 years ago, and she is a USC and had a good credit rating, it was $300 for the utility to turn on the power (you cannot live without air conditioning in Vegas) and one month's rent as a deposit plus a cleaning fee. Her rent was $950 back then so her deposit was $950 plus $150 for cleaning fee and the first month's rent = total $2,050 just for the apartment.

Then you have to figure in the cost of cable/TV service, phone(s), car insurance, car (can't live in Vegas without a car as public transportation is non-existent).

Hard to find furnished apartments. She had to purchase the minimum necessities, i.e. bed, sofa, television, table and chairs.

Budget at least $10,000 to be on the safe side.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

BTW have a go at looking up apartments in Vegas and perhaps, Henderson. This will give you an idea of rent and security deposits. Check for used car sales in Vegas and insurance rates. Google for the name of the power company in Vegas and read their website for an idea of the cost to you to have the power turned on.

You don't have to be a Brit (I'm not) to give advice on what minimal costs might be incurred on a move.

Exciting prospect for you and your new husband. I loved visiting her in Vegas and she loved living there.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The biggest obstacle is always the visa. I think you may be underestimating just what a hurdle that presents.
I'd just like some advice on moving costs please so I know what to expect. .....
You will get more and better answers by giving up a little information yourself, specifically about the circumstances of the visa, why the employer is prepared to wait so long, and why you are so certain that the visa is in the bag.

We get plenty of dreamers here, and a number of us are more than willing to share with massive amounts of free information, .... to those who aren't wasting our time.

For context, we hear from time to time of employers who sound all positive and offer someone a job, but the would-be employer knows nothing about the visa process and doesn't realise that there is absolutely zero prospect of them obtaining a visa for the would-be employee.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 25th 2016 at 11:41 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

I realise the visa is the big obstacle. I'm not so naive to believe it is easy to get. My OH has an American friend who owns a business in Vegas who has offered a job. This dream is far from 100% in the bag and I am just trying gauge what to expect when and if it comes to crunch time. I want to be as prepared as I can
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I realise the visa is the big obstacle. I'm not so naive to believe it is easy to get. My OH has an American friend who owns a business in Vegas who has offered a job. This dream is far from 100% in the bag and I am just trying gauge what to expect when and if it comes to crunch time. I want to be as prepared as I can
What is the job? Not all jobs are eligible for a work visa.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I realise the visa is the big obstacle. I'm not so naive to believe it is easy to get. My OH has an American friend who owns a business in Vegas who has offered a job. .....
A HUGE alarm bell is ringing here. What is the nature of the job? Just generally, .... scientific/medical, computing/technology, .... artistic/ performance?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty nice friend, to promise to spend thousands of dollars getting the visa in a couple of years, and either hold the position open that long, or fire the guy in it now just to hire your husband (which doesn't sound legal).

Honestly, I'd say you're putting the cart way before the horse. Not to mention that talking about cost 2 years ahead of time doesn't make much sense. ..a lot can change in 2 years.

Rene
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:55 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Listening to the primary debate right now, I wouldn't be so sure that the visa you're thinking about applying for in a couple of years will even exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.