Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Las Vegas in 10 weeks !!!!

Moving to Las Vegas in 10 weeks !!!!

Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:37 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Las Vegas in 10 weeks !!!!

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Forgive me if I'm coming across as a bit of a dufus, but I need something clarifying here. I see these abreviations all over this forum and using my powers of deductive reasoning, I have come to the conclusion that 'DS' means, 'something' - son and 'DD' means 'something (presumably the same thing)' - daughter.

So, what does the 'D' stand for and why isn't the author, her husband or the dog graced with this prefix?

You were not alone I had no idea either!!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Hawth0rn is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly thank you to the people that tried to answer my questions.

Since most people are bothered about the visa question, what I mean was we dont organise it, its all done by my husbands job. That is why I didnt ask any questions, I apologize for not going into detail.

I must say some of the posts dont make me feel very welcome.

Thank you again to the helpful posts.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawth0rn

Since most people are bothered about the visa question, what I mean was we dont organise it, its all done by my husbands job. That is why I didnt ask any questions, I apologize for not going into detail.

Sorry you feel that way...please don't take offence...we're an OK bunch really. You wouldn't believe the amount of posts we get from people who think they can just up and move to the US...that's why we tend to always ask about visas.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Back when someone started using the DH for their spouse ... I asked if it meant

Dead Husband

Darling Husband

Dreadful Husband

Decadent Husband

But now everyone and anyone is a "D"ear something or other. Sickening isn't it???

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Forgive me if I'm coming across as a bit of a dufus, but I need something clarifying here. I see these abreviations all over this forum and using my powers of deductive reasoning, I have come to the conclusion that 'DS' means, 'something' - son and 'DD' means 'something (presumably the same thing)' - daughter.

So, what does the 'D' stand for and why isn't the author, her husband or the dog graced with this prefix?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry you feel that way...please don't take offence...we're an OK bunch really. You wouldn't believe the amount of posts we get from people who think they can just up and move to the US...that's why we tend to always ask about visas.
Particularly when Vegas or Florida is involved.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

So, is it Da'hling or Dear? I need to know, as I intend to start using the prefix forthwith. I hope like hell that it is 'darling', as it makes it just that little bit more nauseating.

Oh, and darling Hawth0rn, please, please do not be offended. This has been going on for a lot longer than when you recently rolled into town. My comments are NOT levelled at you personally (well, they kinda are), you just somehow inspired me to ask the question.

Why have you singled-out the dog for exclusion in the dishing-out of "D's" - that's what I'm curious about. Have you no feelings for the poor cur?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Particularly when Vegas or Florida is involved.
How could I forget Vegas and Florida.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Kittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisa67
Congratulations .... And don't panic!!!
Make sure your kids vaccinations are up to date and that you bring records of them as in many schools they won't allow the kids to start without all the correct vaccinations.again, check with the school district as to which ones they require. Many require Hep. B which isn't routinely given in the UK.
FYI..... for our Green Cards we had to have a medical through Knightsbridge doctors in London the only doctors the US Embassy recommend, before our medical i called the doctors and they told me.my daughter had to have Hep B as a requirment for the visa, which would have cost £35.00 for the jab so i went to my own doctor and got it for free, I am not sure what medical the requirments are for other Visas, childern have to have Hep B for Green Cards.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We had L1/2 visas and didn't have a medical. I think all states require a Hep B shot before children are allowed to start school. It is given in 3 shots if I remember correctly over a period of several months...so if you have time get them done in the UK. You should get a list of shots that your children have had from your UK doctor. Every summer before schools starts my daughter had to have a medical before she could attend school in New Jersey.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Kittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really niceKittenheels66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We had L1/2 visas and didn't have a medical. I think all states require a Hep B shot before children are allowed to start school. It is given in 3 shots if I remember correctly over a period of several months...so if you have time get them done in the UK. You should get a list of shots that your children have had from your UK doctor. Every summer before schools starts my daughter had to have a medical before she could attend school in New Jersey.
Oh wow, thats good we had to have full medical, chest Xray, eyes ears etc, they even asked us how many units of alcohol we drank and if we smoked!!

You are correct my daughter has 2 more shots to get, its every 3 months. well worth getting it from your doctor before you leave!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Kittenheels66
Oh wow, thats good we had to have full medical, chest Xray, eyes ears etc, they even asked us how many units of alcohol we drank and if we smoked!!

You are correct my daughter has 2 more shots to get, its every 3 months. well worth getting it from your doctor before you leave!
Our US health insurance paid for my daughter's shots.

BTW for anyone moving to the US via a company transfer/new job...check your health insurance begins from day 1. It is not unusual to have a 3 month waiting period before the insurance kicks in.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

FYI..... for our Green Cards we had to have a medical through Knightsbridge doctors in London the only doctors the US Embassy recommend, before our medical i called the doctors and they told me.my daughter had to have Hep B as a requirment for the visa, which would have cost £35.00 for the jab so i went to my own doctor and got it for free, I am not sure what medical the requirments are for other Visas, childern have to have Hep B for Green Cards.
Having been an H4 and now an LPR I know that for GCs you need Hep B. Most visas though you don't. So if the OP is coming over on something other than a GC it is likely the school district will be the only people to tell her that her kids need Hep B hence my comment
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

All of this is because you applied for Immigrant Visas.

If anyone in the US on a non-immigrant visa applies for a "green card", they have to have the same medical exam.

School entry requirements are their own thing, and for any child attending the school, visa or not. Not sure what the upset is about the vax requirements; they are not a mystery or secret.

(if you drink 'too many' units of alcohol, you are banned from the US, and no I'm not joking.)
Old Jun 28th 2011, 11:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawth0rn

We get folks talking about moving over to the US daily, who don't have visa's, or even have job offers with no chance of actually getting a visa.

It's a valid question, because without it, everything else is a waste of time. Also the type of visa makes a difference, as some allow spouses to work, while others don't, so some answers will have that thought in mind.

Someone has already listed the school site, but city-data.com is another good site for getting location info. There are also a few other threads on LV that you could probably search out and find general info.

There are also hundreds of threads explaining how to bring pets over and the pet passport scheme. Possibly even a wiki on it? Either way, you'll find your answer on that when you search and also check out any state specific requirements by googling the state.

Chances of finding a rental allowing dogs...so-so. Small dog, good chance, big dog, little chance. You'll probably find you have to pay up a 1-2 month worth of deposit for the animal that is none refundable as a general rule of thumb, as well as the regular deposit on top, which is anything from 1-3 months, as you have no US credit history, expect offering more to get a better chance of finding a rental.

You said you've got your medical covered, but do you understand the details? Monthly payments, co-pays, deductibles, levels of coverage etc?
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Hawth0rn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again

Thank you for the replies, maybe I am a little touchy 10 weeks notice to sort a move to Las Vegas quiet scary. Firstly we were told might go and then not and then 2 days ago at 8.15 in the morning out of the blue I get a phone call saying pack for the 12th Sept!

We are very luck as all medical will be covered as my husband works for the government, this is confirmed and we will not have to pay an insurance or deductible. (I guess this will set off a few comments).

Its really hard to explain without going into to much detail about my husbands job which I don’t want to do.

Really the logistical side isn't my real concern as most of this is covered by the company. e.g. insurance, car rental, accommodation. Its the things that people found out when they arrived and wished someone had told them. Also bits the company may forget to tell us. The vaccination information is fantastic, going to sort that tomorrow.

Actually we will have to buy a couple of cars after a while there any tips on this. We don’t want to spend loads and the cars will need to be economical. We only need them for 2 years so not bothered about an expensive one.

Thanks everyone

P.S the DS and DD I read another forum and everyone used this so I did the same thinking it was a forum abbrevation like text. I like the idea of it meaning dreadful (some days). Actually the dogs the only one that I would say is darling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.