Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to LA region

Moving to LA region

Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to LA region

One of the issues in L.A. is that many of the young students are not native English speakers. This serves to slow things down in the classroom.

In addition, there's not so much comprehensive education, as being trained for the test.

(Anyway, in case my message gets lost in the mix, I suggest you strongly consider Orange County. When coming from the UK and without much real life experience of this region I suppose living in Los Angeles can sound somewhat exotic. But it's a dirty, rundown, crowded POS.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 18th 2013 at 4:05 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
One of the issues in L.A. is that many of the young students are not native English speakers. This serves to slow things down in the classroom.

In addition, there's not so much comprehensive education, as being trained for the test.

(Anyway, in case my message gets lost in the mix, I suggest you strongly consider Orange County. When coming from the UK and without much real life experience of this region I suppose living in Los Angeles can sound somewhat exotic. But it's a dirty, rundown, crowded POS.)
If I were coming for 3 years only with young kids, I would just get a condo in a nice coastal area of LA or Orange County and make the most of the nice bits.

Long-term, it's not such a great proposition.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Cost of day care on the other hand...ouch.
Cheaper than the UK, or at least here it is. 5 days a week, 9 hours a day, $650 a month for our 5 year old. We wouldn't get close to that back in the UK. I'm assuming the utility company down in LA is Pacific Gas and Electric. If so, expect to pay quite a bit more than the UK. Have you ever been to LA? Now is the time to maybe come out and do a recce before you decide.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Cheaper than the UK, or at least here it is. 5 days a week, 9 hours a day, $650 a month for our 5 year old. We wouldn't get close to that back in the UK.
Yes you would. 15 hours free childcare, so that's the mornings taken care of, and most private nurseries around here are approx £20 for the remainder of the day - £400 a month so about the same. That's ignoring the fact that a 5 year old would be in school for free in the UK of course, but pretending s/he is 3 or 4 instead.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Cheaper than the UK, or at least here it is. 5 days a week, 9 hours a day, $650 a month for our 5 year old. We wouldn't get close to that back in the UK. I'm assuming the utility company down in LA is Pacific Gas and Electric. If so, expect to pay quite a bit more than the UK. Have you ever been to LA? Now is the time to maybe come out and do a recce before you decide.
Damn, that's half the cost to what it is in my neck of the woods and then some. Good going!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
True. In all honesty I didn't see the 'young' in front of kids in the OP.
So you're right. I just presumed when "small" was mentioned, which was presumptuous
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes you would. 15 hours free childcare, so that's the mornings taken care of, and most private nurseries around here are approx £20 for the remainder of the day - £400 a month so about the same. That's ignoring the fact that a 5 year old would be in school for free in the UK of course, but pretending s/he is 3 or 4 instead.
Ok, in my defense she's my step daughter, she doesn't turn 5 until December LOL.

Originally Posted by Bob
Damn, that's half the cost to what it is in my neck of the woods and then some. Good going!
That's a private sitter mind, not a nursery. Although she has about 5 kids that she looks after and schools them. If I had to pay double that, I'd be bankrupt in 6 months!!!

Last edited by markonline1; Sep 18th 2013 at 6:33 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

4) How much does renting a family car cost? (I drive a BMW 5 series in the UK)
Leasing with nothing down you can probably get a decent German car (A4 or 3 series) for around $400/month

5) areas to live - safe family area top of the list with good links to LAX
I live in OC and commute to near the LAX area. I'd agree with others, around LAX is horrible. Fly out of John Wayne. Helps with #6 also

6) my company is talking about $3,000/month for a place - we need 4 bedrooms - is that enough?
Depends where you want. Near the beach is cooler, its near the beach, but its crowded. Huntington Beach is an area we looked at but you get less for your money.
We're in Anaheim Hills (suburb of Anaheim), just bought 6 months ago. Schools are good and its a nicer area but it gets warmer in the summer. $3000 should get you a decent place with a pool or community pool and its pretty commutable (as LA/OC goes). Other areas to look at are Irvine, Tustin and Yorba Linda which are all nicer areas with decent schools. Look up www.greatschools.org - higher the school ratings, higher the house prices

7) is the cost of utilities (gas/electric) comparable to the UK?
Can't remember. But the cost of AC is definitely higher !
One good thing about Anaheim is it owns its electric utilities so the pricing seems to be cheaper

8) does anyone have any recommendations for a relocation broker/advice company?
Nope. Never used them. But realtors around here also handle rentals. Theres lots around. Once you settle on an area then personal recommendations probably count more than company ones.

I'd also agree with the past comments. Check out daycare costs to ensure that its worth your wifes while to go to work (if she can find it). You may want to look at an area with a family environment so that theres other non-working moms to hang out with. Around here you're talking $700/month+ for a 3 year old, and daycares definitely vary in quality.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan17
Leasing with nothing down you can probably get a decent German car (A4 or 3 series) for around $400/month. ....
I sincerely doubt that, someone reporting here on BE was recently quoted about that for a Fiesta.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

From one of the local Audi dealers around here. I can post the dealer if needed but thats what they're advertising.

2013 Audi A4 Lease Deals‎
$350 Per Month Lease Special Audi A4 In Stock - Compare Models‎
Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

So Cal Audi's site are advertising $450/month for a 36 month lease with $2K at signing.

A bit more than I thought but not far off. Whoever was quoted $400 for a Fiesta was getting ripped.

One point though that I'd guess that that involves some credit history in the US, or company backing. If thats not available then theres always the deal that VW used to run for new expats which I took advantage of when I moved here in 2001. Not sure if thats still available ?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

From one of the local Audi dealers around here. I can post the dealer if needed but thats what they're advertising.

But is that offer available with zero down to someone with zero US credit history?

If that's the case, then it's a cracking deal...

VW still do their deal.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, end of year specials! ..... If they still have 2013's they'll want them off the lot PDQ, but there might not be very many of them.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

snj_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.

Wow - thanks for all your comments - very helpful and gives me some good food for thought.

I will investigate the car lease prices and insurance costs as my wife will also want her own car.

Take your points about the alternative areas to live - thanks for the advice. I need to weigh up the costs in those areas plus the furnished/unfurnished options.

Thanks again

Steve
Old Sep 18th 2013, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snj_2000
Hi all.
I would appreciate any advice on the info below please.

I have the opportunity to move to CA next year with my job. I am a UK resident, so is my wife and we have 2 small kids <2yold and 2 dogs.

We would be going for up to 3years.
My salary would be around $100k plus the company would pay for rent and a car.

I need to be in the LA region though have no real ties to any one area. Would be good to be<1hr from LAX though.

My wife would not work initially but may look for something after a year or so - she is a primary teacher in the UK.

So now I have set the scene I have a few queries that I hope people can help me with? sorry for all the questions!

1) I pay 40% tax in the UK - is the take home less or more in CA? Do you recommend getting paid in USD or GBP?
2) how much does the fact that I would have my car and home paid for by the company effect the tax I pay?
3) do I need a new driving licence?
5) areas to live - safe family area top of the list with good links to LAX
6) my company is talking about $3,000/month for a place - we need 4 bedrooms - is that enough?
7) is the cost of utilities (gas/electric) comparable to the UK?
8) does anyone have any recommendations for a relocation broker/advice company?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
5) You need to base this on school district, so I've been told. The LAUSD has a poor reputation so look for other school districts close to LA. (You'll have to research this as I have no idea - my kids are all grown up).
I lived in the city for a year or so and have now moved to the valley (Woodland Hills, Encino, Tarzana, Thousand Oaks, Sherman Oaks, etc.) and much prefer it though the temps are about 15-20 degrees higher than the city and beaches. The beaches can be cold: most places don't even have air con as you only need it for a short period every year.
6) In the valley? Might be quite tight at $3000: depends on the area.
7) Higher!
8) Try Zillow.com or Trulia.com or Rent.com. Avoid CraigsList - always feel that it's a scam waiting to happen. Or find a real estate agent in the area you are interested in.

For me, if I had kids, the school district would be the most important factor unless you can afford to send them private. A colleague here just moved to Hermosa Beach because of the schools. (I'll double check that in case I have that wrong).

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.