Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to LA in just 3weeks

Moving to LA in just 3weeks

Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to LA in just 3weeks

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As I said you could have saved yourself money...because after 10 days after landing you were not insured. Makes no difference whether it was a rental car or not.
In MA, you've got 30 days, which is better, but they're getting strict about it. I know someone who got pulled over on the Mass Pike, ended up getting her car towed, done for speeding, done for driving without a valid license and done for driving without valid insurance. Very expensive on top of the cost of the tow and having the car impounded and then getting points on the future license.

The cop did at least wait with her by the side of the motorway till a colleague was able to come by and pick her up.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
You seem very certain about that.

I think that it is more of a grey area than you seem to think.
Yeah, I've never heard of anybody getting into serious trouble about this. You can buy a car, get insured etc with a foreign license, and I'm not sure the insurance companies can really deny you coverage after they have accepted you. Mind you they can drop you if anything happens but then they can do that anyway!

I agree with others that you'll want to get your local license ASAP - if anything it will make your life a million times easier any time you want to buy a beer. However it's effectively impossible to get one within the ten-day window, since you can't even get an SSN that quickly and you'll need an SSN (if you qualify for one) for a drivers license.

Now I think it's stupid that California DMV has set an impossible time limit, but there you go. One way to look at it is that the definition for establishing residency is very vague and might give people more time. One way or another thousands of people drive with a foreign license for quite a while after moving to California every year.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aa83
I am moving to LA for work in 3 weeks
So really any help and advise would be great
looking to move to sherman oaks or studio city due to where I will be based. Any thoughts or comments on this.
Both can be quite nice - as is "North Hollywood" which is adjacent to Studio City ( not to be confused with Hollywood itself - which is nowhere near there.) Be warned however - these communities are all located in what is known as "The Valley" -that part of LA north of Mulholland Blvd. They tend to be much much smoggier. And in summer - can be 10-15 degrees (Fahrenheit) hotter - a veritable oven.
It's all a matter of taste - but if I had to live in the Valley I would definitely look for something high up in the hills ( as close to Mulholland as possible). The air is better, views can be phenomenal and it's quite rural.
Good luck with your move
Old Oct 27th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Tho the posts date back to 2010 - they seem to contain what might be helpful info for you - which would still be relevant.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...alifornia.html

As far as insurance is concerned - I've been with several different companies - but once I finally switched to the Auto Club (AAA) years ago - I never again considered going elsewhere. I've found they have the best rates plus - if you ever do need to file a claim (hope you don't) - their follow thru is terrific and very helpful.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Been here, from Glasgow, for 12 years.
Took me 8 years before doing the driving test however I do now realize I could have been in trouble if I was ever stopped. "Could have" because I did get done for speeding, (first time in my life), and driving on my UK license made no difference.
The insurance company, AIG, insured me no problem.
When I did do the test, practically just driving round the block and parking. No sweat.

Anyway....you'll become very familiar with the freeways, especially the 405

Life out here has been pretty good. My employment has paid a lot more than I'd expect in the UK. It's still a cool feeling to be driving around in a tshirt in winter, the sun streaming in. And the quintessential palm tree lined street as the sun sets...

Great beaches, drives to the mountains, the central coast, Vegas, Death Valley, up the 395 to Tahoe...there's plenty outside stuff to do. People generally friendly and interested although sometimes a bit rushed.
(You'll have some guy rushing to cut you off on the freeway then minutes later telling you to please go ahead of him in McDonalds.)

It's been a very interesting time of my life and I am a US citizen now but, long story, I only initially came for a six month contract and I'd like to go spend some time home in Scotland. As would my wife from North Dakota, she's like, "You've been here 12 years, I want to live in Scotland some time."
So I guess that's the plan. We'll head over in five or so years and spend at least three years in the UK so she can get a UK passport. That way we can visit Europe quite often also.

Beyond that no idea where to retire but at least we'll have choice.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hotscot
(You'll have some guy rushing to cut you off on the freeway then minutes later telling you to please go ahead of him in McDonalds.)
It is a fact (and best you know this now) that once in their car EVERY SINGLE PERSON in LA is a total A-Hole... don't expect it to be anything like driving in England, it is a massive, rude, free-for-all. If you make the mistake of indicating on a freeway to change lane, they will speed up to block you doing it. Earlier today, I heard an old dude screaming you f-ing c*** at a young girl who didn't go immediately when the light turned green. No one will EVER say thank you. People will cruise alongside others in the fast lane on the freeway at 70 and not let you overtake. Everyone drives right on your arse and then constantly need to emergency stop. People fill their trucks with stuff and don't secure it properly. This really frustrated/scared (last week a MATTRESS landed on my boyfriends windshield) me at the beginning, so it's best to be prepared for it! As hotscot said, i'm sure they're all lovely people normally but LA people in their cars are like Londoners on the tube...
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That's very true about the mattress...you always see small trucks piled with mattresses on the 405...what's that all about?
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

That's very true about the mattress...you always see small trucks piled with mattresses on the 405...what's that all about?
I wish I knew what the 405 was all about
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

What's with all the mattresses full stop. I don't think I've ever seen a "mattress store" in the UK, yet here they're all over the place! But having said that, I did buy a full the other day for our spare bedroom - however, I did manage to get it inside our Grand Caravan. I also learned that you can buy recon them here, which basically means they reuse the springs, replace any worn out springs, and put new covers on. Not quite as gross as I originally thought when I saw the tag.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
I wish I knew what the 405 was all about
Surely even folks in LA need somewhere to park?
Old Nov 1st 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

4 days to go before our move and to say things are stressed is an understatement!!
Old Nov 1st 2012, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When I moved I brought a box of cd's and a box of comics. Bought everything else here.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FinnDiego
Surely even folks in LA need somewhere to park?
My bad... I thought they were using the 110 for that. That must be their staging area.