Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to LA - the basics?

Moving to LA - the basics?

Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to LA - the basics?

Originally Posted by Wicky
I don't intend to do any work for clients until I receive my EAD, but these files will still be available for purchase and therefore will still provide income even though I'm not working. How does this work in terms of the EAD conditions & tax?

It seems like a pretty gray area, and I'm not sure where to even start looking for a definitive answer.
If, for example, you have a web site (based in the UK, I presume) on which customers can pay money in order to download various existing files and tools, and all that you are doing is sitting back and watching the money come in then I think that you can reasonably claim that you are not "working".
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Wicky is an unknown quantity at this point

That's it... more or less.

I'm not selling through a site that I personally own but through several "market" websites owned by other people or companies. The sites sell pre-made digital files to other designers & web geeks worldwide, in order for them to reduce their time on projects. I use several of these outlets based in the UK, Australia & the US mostly, but all selling internationally.

A modest passive income is generated from the sale of bits & pieces I made previously. I don't play an active part in the sales and don't have to do any work to generate the income. The owners of the market sites sell files from hundreds of designers, taking a commission on each sale. I upload files, they take care of sales and distribution, money ends up in my PayPal account. Voila!

As long as I'm not uploading new content to the websites, I'm not doing any work. So, is that a problem? If so, why? If not, how (and where) do I account for the income, seeing as I should not be working in either the UK or the US?

Originally Posted by md95065
If, for example, you have a web site (based in the UK, I presume) on which customers can pay money in order to download various existing files and tools, and all that you are doing is sitting back and watching the money come in then I think that you can reasonably claim that you are not "working".
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

... how (and where) do I account for the income, seeing as I should not be working in either the UK or the US?
As far as the tax returns go you just report it as income.

The fact that you have income doesn't mean that you are working - you could have income from investments, renting out your house in the UK or, as in your case, passive income from a business so it won't be an issue.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
... in your case, passive income from a business so it won't be an issue.
Ok, so would I be allowed to upload additional files during that period?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so would I be allowed to upload additional files during that period?
In what way is actively uploading more stuff "passive"? I don't understand the leap of logic.

This is an intricate immigration question, actually. You're welcome to post it as a stand alone topic in the Immigration forum (it is off the topic of this thread) but the answers aren't going to be a lot more clear. The person you should check this out with is your immigration attorney.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
In what way is actively uploading more stuff "passive"? I don't understand the leap of logic.
There's no leap in logic. I'm simply asking a question to gain a better understanding of a system that I'm not yet familiar with. Isn't that the point of the forum?

The boundaries in my work/hobby life aren't very black & white. Many of the files that I have ended up selling are a fortunate by-product of "playing" rather than work. The income is passive because it's generated after the files were created, and doesn't require any effort on my part to collect the income.

I will undoubtedly carry on making things for my own benefit while waiting for my EAD. I don't see that's a problem. I'm sure a musician would carry humming the odd tune during that period, and I'm equally sure a carpenter would be allowed to erect shelves at home, right?

I think it's quite logical to ask, if one or two files of saleable interest were generated as a result of playing & practising what I do, would I have to wait for my EAD to simply upload them - even if they don't require any other input of time and effort, and even though some files are already providing a passive income?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There's no leap in logic. I'm simply asking a question to gain a better understanding of a system that I'm not yet familiar with. Isn't that the point of the forum?

The boundaries in my work/hobby life aren't very black & white. Many of the files that I have ended up selling are a fortunate by-product of "playing" rather than work. The income is passive because it's generated after the files were created, and doesn't require any effort on my part to collect the income.

I will undoubtedly carry on making things for my own benefit while waiting for my EAD. I don't see that's a problem. I'm sure a musician would carry humming the odd tune during that period, and I'm equally sure a carpenter would be allowed to erect shelves at home, right?

I think it's quite logical to ask, if one or two files of saleable interest were generated as a result of playing & practising what I do, would I have to wait for my EAD to simply upload them - even if they don't require any other input of time and effort, and even though some files are already providing a passive income?
That's a good question for your attorney. I certainly would not want to be the one who jeopardized your stay in the US.

Your question is logical (just not with the text you quoted previously) but the answer is not straight forward. Sometimes, the internet is just not the place to find an answer.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's a good question for your attorney. I certainly would not want to be the one who jeopardized your stay in the US.

Your question is logical (just not with the text you quoted previously) but the answer is not straight forward. Sometimes, the internet is just not the place to find an answer.
Agreed. It is a simple question, but the answer isn't so obvious. I may need to look into it further.

Thanks for your help anyway.