Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to LA - the basics?

Moving to LA - the basics?

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:37 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to LA - the basics?

Originally Posted by Wicky
Given that I won't be allowed to earn anything for 3 months, how difficult would it be for 2 people to live off an annual salary of 50k?
We're managing. It's not great, but it's doable.

Monthly bills for the two of us, in case this helps:

$1400 rent, incl rented furniture
$30 water, sewer, trash
$40 electricity
$19 renters insurance
$10 earthquake insurance
$60 two mobile phones (cheapest deal we could find!)
$100 internet/TV/landline bundle (Time Warner -- very good internet)

We're waiting till I get a job before we buy a car. I'm been rearranging my CV for the last month, so I don't think that'll be anytime soon

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Apr 2nd 2011 at 7:09 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Wicky is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant, somebody in the same boat!!

Interesting to know that I can't apply for an SS# until I get an EAD. I hadn't quite picked up on that.

Ok, I'm getting the no work thing... Thou shalt not pursue gainful employment! I'm curious, does that also include offering my services to a worthwhile US or international charity? I'm just wondering if I can contribute & make myself useful, given that I can't be employed?

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Hurrah! I'm a J2, my husband is a J1 and works for a university. Our income is as modest as a well-bred Jane Austen heroine.

We're on the other side of the city, and I've only been to Pasadena once (it was very nice) so I can't give any area-specific info, but if you have any other questions about getting an apartment, an EAD (Employment Authorization Document = work permit) then I hope I can help.

The EAD application took just over two months (I think I put the timeline in my signature). It cost $380, and as part of the application you have to justify that any income you earn will NOT be used to support the J1 holder; this involves giving a break-down of your monthly household expenses. You cannot apply for the EAD until you're actually here.

Once I got my EAD, I could apply for a Social Security Number. That took about a week (and I don't think I've put that in my signature timeline).

Then you're good to go.

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure others will comment more knowledgeably on the issue, but: I really wouldn't advise doing even any remote work before you get the EAD. My understanding is that any work done while you are physically present in the US is... well, working in the US, no matter where your customers are and where you get paid.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm getting the no work thing... Thou shalt not pursue gainful employment! I'm curious, does that also include offering my services to a worthwhile US or international charity? I'm just wondering if I can contribute & make myself useful, given that I can't be employed?
Anything that would ordinarily be a paid for position or service can not be offered for free without work authorisation.

So probably not.

Helping out at a soup kitchen, animal shelter, stuff that truly is voluntary work is allowed.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious, does that also include offering my services to a worthwhile US or international charity? I'm just wondering if I can contribute & make myself useful, given that I can't be employed?
Yes, but it has to be genuine volunteer work - ie something for which you are not paid and which nobody else would be paid for doing.

If the thing that you are doing is something that would normally be "paid work" then doing it for free is still considered to be "work".
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:54 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, you can volunteer -- but only if you're NOT doing for free a job that an American would normally get paid for. And you're not being paid in ANY way (be it in dollars, shiny buttons or sandwiches). And I was told to stay away from internships or work shadowing because that is more like being a trainee and so requires the proper permissions.

When I said our income was doable, I was ignoring the fact that we both have good health insurance through the university. I really really don't know much about health insurance here, except that it's horribly expensive, so I hope someone with expertise will come along and say whether you buying your own heath insurance is going to be a budget deal-breaker. In our case, we never have much money left at the end of each month and if I had to buy my own health insurance, I'm not sure we'd manage.

(Not helpful, but: I'm quite surprised that your wife's uni doesn't extend coverage to you, tbh. When my husband was offered his job, they acknowledged that the pay wasn't fantastic but that the sterling benefits package made up for it, and I kind of assumed that that was the situation at most American universities.)

In response to the poster who said moving could cost several tens of thousands of dollars -- I don't doubt that it can, especially if you have a house and furniture and children and cars. But if you're two twenty-somethings who live in rented accommodation with IKEA furniture then it can be a lot less.

To get me, my husband, two cats, two laptops, two suitcases and ten large boxes over here probably cost just over $3000, including the price of throwing/giving away and replacing stuff at each end. And it *was* difficult to find a furnished rental, but not impossible.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Apr 2nd 2011 at 5:56 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
In response to the poster who said moving could cost several tens of thousands of dollars -- I don't doubt that it can, especially if you have a house and furniture and children and cars. But if you're two twenty-somethings who live in rented accommodation with IKEA furniture then it can be a lot less.

To get me, my husband, two cats, two laptops, two suitcases and ten large boxes over here probably cost just over $3000, including the price of throwing/giving away and replacing stuff at each end. And it *was* difficult to find a furnished rental, but not impossible.
Yes, it definitely can be done on a tight budget (and the fact that you were able to do without a car helped a lot) so I don't intend to suggest that it is impossible but you do have to budget very carefully.

Also, even if the net cost of the relocation is only a few thousand dollars you do need to have quite a bit of extra cash available to be able to come up with things like first and last month's rent + security deposit that have to be paid up front and to tide you over until the first pay check arrives so it is important to plan accordingly.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 6:36 pm
Misses Los Angeles

Originally Posted by md95065
Also, even if the net cost of the relocation is only a few thousand dollars you do need to have quite a bit of extra cash available to be able to come up with things like first and last month's rent + security deposit that have to be paid up front and to tide you over until the first pay check arrives so it is important to plan accordingly.
Agreed.

We had a pretty tight first six weeks in LA, as we'd paid the security deposit here, but not yet been reimbursed our security deposit from Germany or any relocation costs from the uni (I think we got $2000 in the end). You do need a financial safety zone.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice
Smile Re: Moving to LA - the basics?

Hi

you mentioned your wife will be working for a university here in LA. Well I am a professor at a uni here in LA. Most if not all unis have family medical insurance it just means that you pay a slightly higher premium if you have a partner and more if you have children. Depending on the university it is quite reasonable I pay 190 dollars a month for blue cross of california. Check this out on the uni website. Good luck - I enjoy la la land love the weather my job the beach
good luck enjoy
mekala
Los angeles
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:17 pm
Misses Los Angeles

Interesting to know that I can't apply for an SS# until I get an EAD. I hadn't quite picked up on that.
Forgot to mention -- you can get a document from the Social Security office that states you're not yet eligible for a SSN. In circumstances where you ostensibly need a SSN (like at the DMV) you can show this document instead, and it seems to make them happier.

(I went along to the Social Security office with my husband, about ten days after we'd arrived, and long before I'd applied for my EAD. He requested his SSN, which arrived a week or so later, and I got issued the 'not eligible' document on the spot. Much later, after I'd got my EAD, I applied for my SSN and received it without issue.)

Being in America without a SSN is like not having fingerprints. People know it doesn't necessarily mean you're a bad sort, but they're a bit suspicious anyway.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what constitutes a low income? In the UK I regard academics as being in a moderate to middling financial bracket.

I know that wikipedia suggests between 28k and 35k as a median per capita income for the Duarte/Pasadena area, but median average isn't a great way to illustrate the actual cost of living.

Given that I won't be allowed to earn anything for 3 months, how difficult would it be for 2 people to live off an annual salary of 50k?
I think 50K is doable for a young couple, my husband had a J2 postdoc working for him on about $30,000, but I would definitely ask them about subsidised accommodation, that was what this guy got. It would also make a big difference if you are going to be exempt from tax or not.

PS I agree it is more than likely that you can be added to your wife's health insurance.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Apr 2nd 2011 at 7:55 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

With regards rentals, definately check out craigslist, 'sublets and temporary' - my husband flewout to LA ahead of us for his job, and needed to find somewhere for a few months. He found a really nice short term lease apartment which was furnished (there were quite a few of them, he had a good selection). He also found a cheap-ish car (nissan) and its worked out really well, still going strong and our mechanic thought it would last us a wee while. (darn it, there goes my dreams for my new audi )
LA is like marmite, people either love it or hate it ....I grew to love it. Best of luck, it's a real experiance.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065

Not to mention possible need for deposits on the mobile phone, cable, electric and any other utility because of a lack of credit history.

It all adds up quite quickly, especially if you aren't expecting it.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:42 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Thanks for all the info so far!! Some bits were more helpful than others, but all appreciated equally.

@Xebedee - nice!

I didn't mention the Visa stuff because apparently that's all being taken care of, although I believe I will have to personally apply for permission to work when I'm there.

No kids, so schools aren't an issue. For various reasons we are planning to live in the Pasadena/Duarte area, so any local knowledge would be appreciated.

My wife isn't working for MegaCorp Inc., she will be working for a university. This means limited relocation funds, a modest income & J1, J2 visa's respectively. Assume we're not loaded and not getting help with anything else, because I want to equip myself with the relevant baseline knowledge rather than waiting for somebody at the university to act on our behalf.

The Uni will cover my wife's medical insurance but not mine. What does this mean in reality; what are my obligations and how/where do I sort out adequate protection?

I'm a freelance graphic designer & web geek. I anticipate continuing to work in much the same way I do now – ie. working online with some of my existing UK clients. I think most of my current work will cease, so I'd also like to find some interesting creative work in LA.

Getting a decent internet connection is right at the top of my priority list. I know I'm not supposed to do any work until I get permission, but I can't ignore the maintenance needs of my remaining clients. Any info on this: providers; contracts; scams & things to avoid? Are there any public web connection facilities? Do apartments in blocks ever come with a supplied internet connection? Any info at all would be great.

It's good to know that the SS# is central to getting everything else: driving license, rent, etc. Do I have to do something to get this or is it an automatic part of the Visa application? If I have to do something, how do I get the ball rolling?
Pasadena area is nice. You don't mention which university, but elder daughter got her doctorate last year from a school in Pasadena. I recall that the Uni had a fair amount of resources available to employees and grad students. They also have a wonderful credit union for banking for car loans, credit cards, etc etc [this particular one has no checking, sigh].

Bottom line, ask the contact at the Uni for help [BTW, I'm assuming you are using "uni" in the generic sense].
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Fantastic feedback. Thanks.

To fill in a few blanks… my wife has a post-doc position at the "City of Hope Cancer institute", Duarte. Negotiations about relocation budget are ongoing, but it doesn't appear that much financial help will be offered. Also, we have some money ourselves, so we won't be destitute, but I'd prefer to avoid any unnecessary expenses.

It appears that I may have been wrong about not having medical cover. I'm certainly willing to push for this if it isn't automatically covered.

@Mekadag, your point about a family policy representing only a slight increase in premium is very true. Thanks for pointing that out.

The institute may have some subsidised accommodation for the first few weeks, it hasn't been mentioned though yet. I don't like the idea of spending too much time in an on-site apartment though. I'm keen to get my EAD as soon as I can, to start earning and living like a normal person again.

Ta
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob

.... Work is work, doesn't matter if you get paid or not, or where you get paid, you are physically in the US, you need authorisation to do it. .... so that's that.
I'm still a bit confused about how my personal circumstances would be perceived by the US officials.

I work as a graphic designer, and I sell a number of pre-made design tools via various online market places (internationally). These are bits and pieces that I've worked on over the past few years, to generate a small amount of passive income.

I don't intend to do any work for clients until I receive my EAD, but these files will still be available for purchase and therefore will still provide income even though I'm not working. How does this work in terms of the EAD conditions & tax?

It seems like a pretty gray area, and I'm not sure where to even start looking for a definitive answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.