Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to LA advice needed

Moving to LA advice needed

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:20 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to LA advice needed

Originally Posted by mmhendrie
funny - our first year out here our bedroom literally overlooked the 405 (those white UCLA apartments eitherside of the freeway around National)
OFF-TOPIC

Based on that info, I'd say there was a 50/50 chance we're living in your old building. The Westside is only about 100 square miles, so it's bound to happen...

(I'll say no more -- husband gets terribly anxious when I start putting our address on the internet!)

BACK ON-TOPIC, sorry
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

We lived in University Village on the Sawtelle side, I forget the building number, but right next to the freeway wall! We did 1 year there, and then applied for the emergency maintenance jobs you can do as a couple - which we got at the UCLA Venice/Barry complex - a much older building, but our apartment was huge, and with the job came heavily subsidized rent, free utilities, and a small salary - I think we went from about 800sqft at UV to about 1300sqft at Venice/Barry.
-Matt
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in University Village on the Sawtelle side, I forget the building number, but right next to the freeway wall! We did 1 year there, and then applied for the emergency maintenance jobs you can do as a couple - which we got at the UCLA Venice/Barry complex - a much older building, but our apartment was huge, and with the job came heavily subsidized rent, free utilities, and a small salary - I think we went from about 800sqft at UV to about 1300sqft at Venice/Barry.
-Matt
Back in the day [eg 1969] -- it was called "Married Students Housing." A few years back, one of my daughters was in the equivalent in her school in Pasadena as "Graduate Student Housing" -- lovely place but for the woodpeckers that liked the wood siding!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

After getting to grips with the climate changes as you head inland, we've always stayed within 5-6 miles of the ocean - you pretty much get a perfect year round tempurature.
I live in the Los Feliz area which is 20 miles from Santa Monica. It has that climate you talk about. However, drive 2 miles into Burbank and the temperature goes up 15 degrees in Summer -- the end of the Santa Monica Mountains is in the way. Up in the canyons, the temperature can have that swing within a half-mile.

Go up the coast north of Santa Monica/Mar Vista and then go inland a mile and you will get that temperature change.

Moral -- distance and topography will combine.

When I was attending what is now Cal State Northridge, there was a huge climate change [temperature and wind] between Sherman Oaks and Northridge which was something else -- and no intervening hills or mountains. I have not lived in the Valley since 1972.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I have not lived in the Valley since 1972.
It's still hot!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:20 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in University Village on the Sawtelle side, I forget the building number, but right next to the freeway wall!
(Aha -- we're on the other side of the freeway. Just a hop, skip and 10 lanes of stationary traffic away!)
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Kim Davies is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Have a look around Craigslist for listings to get a feel for the asking price. You can't really figure out if a house is in a good area if you're not there and I wouldn't try to get something remotely.

Might also be worth checking with some people who are already there to figure out the cost of utilities (especially electricity, the A/C id going to consume a lot of that) as you might have to adjust your rental budget down.
Hi There
Thanks could you recommend any other nice areas to look at ?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by E3only
Culver City is nice and you can definitely rent for 2k a month there. I guess it’s subjective but if I were to move to Culver City, I am sure I could get a 2 bed 2 bath anything from $1750-2300.

Good luck with the move.
Hi There
Thanks can you recommend any other areas that I could consider within 5 to 10 miles or so of Culver City .
Much appreciated
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:12 am
Just Joined

just backing the LA microclimates statement. I'd always assumed, and from prior visits, that LA was hot as hell. We moved into West LA 11yrs ago, and not only did we never use the AC, we didn't even have the heating (gas) turned on. After getting to grips with the climate changes as you head inland, we've always stayed within 5-6 miles of the ocean - you pretty much get a perfect year round tempurature.

Most if not all of Culver City should fall within the range. You might need the AC on for a couple of weeks a year if there's a heat wave, but its not a considerable expensive for the west side. That picture can change radically just a couple of miles further inland, or if you head into the valley to the north etc.

I'm a bit out of date on renting (bought 7yrs ago) but, if a condo is ok, I'd be pretty sure you could get a good comfortable setup for $2k in Culver City. Try searching some online listings (Craigslist perhaps?) and use it in coordination with google maps to get arial shots - me personally, I'd avoid 2-3 blocks of a freeway (noise), 1-2 blocks of a major mall (traffic/noise) - all things you can scout on the maps. Are you going to have any time to do some in-person scouting around out here before you move?

-Matt
Hi Matt
Thanks for the info what is the rental like in Santa Monica.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kim Davies
Hi Matt
Thanks for the info what is the rental like in Santa Monica.
Yes ! we will have about six weeks as we have company accommodation in Marina Del Rey.I would consider other areas but obviously the schools are important and would like to be close to the ocean and within one hours drive to Hawthorne .